2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last few weeks I've noticed a metallic "tink" sound that seems to be coming from under the left end of the dash. It does it mostly when I accelerate from a stop. I would describe it as sounding like a steel marble on rails, striking something as it rolls to the end of the rails. I poked around a little bit under the dash and couldn't locate anything that might be causing the noise. Has anybody experienced the same issue?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I had something similar while accelerating and turning at times. It'll sound like metal pellets rolling around but I could not find where it's coming from lol I only heard it once in a while tho.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried over the last few weeks to find the source of this noise. I decided to put my hand lightly on the lower part of the dashboard, by the trunk, hood and gas door releases to see if I could feel the clunk. Whenever I tried this, the noise would not occur. I eventually realized that any time I leaned forward in the seat, the noise would not occur. As soon as I leaned back in the seat, "tink"! I finally found online an account from someone with a Mercury Milan who had the same issue, the same type of relay-like noise that he THOUGHT was coming from the lower dash, and the problem ended up being the seat track. It wouldn't surprise me that my seat track is causing problems, as I'm well north of 200 pounds. I'll get someone to sit in the back seat while I drive and make sure that the noise is indeed coming from the seat track. Assuming this is the problem, where can I get a replacement seat track? My seat is all manual, being the iSport model. I haven't had any luck finding a seat track online.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I'd update this thread (I forgot to do so earlier). I had someone sit in the back seat and listen for the sound. Sure enough, it IS coming from the seat. Oddly enough, now that I know the source of the noise it doesn't bother me nearly as much. I hope this helps others who may have the same issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts