2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this is isn't important but it's fun to look at the numbers. OV Tuned + Corksport Trans/ Rear motor mounts. I could even do slightly better with better shifting but whatever, I have more fun driving the back roads. Still slow! Lol.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Still slow! Lol.
6.8s compared to 7.5s on stock is an impressive gain IMO.

Important thing to note is that the odometer is not 100% accurate regarding the actual speed of the car, you need a Dragy (150$) or a Vbox (500$) to confirm accurately the performance of the car.

Also, OVTune is not solely about HP gain, OVTune is more about drivability and torque availability throughout the entire RPM range.

In order to have the best timing comparison results, you need to measure the car performance before tune and bolts on and then with the tune and bolts on.

Comparison and gains on a Dyno Sheet or on Mazda-Edit can be seen in percentages when you compare your data logs from stock or 1st tune file to the finished product. :laugh2:, that way you can have an idea of how much torque and hp you gained over stock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Important thing to note is that the odometer is not 100% accurate regarding the actual speed of the car, you need a Dragy (150$) or a Vbox (500$) to confirm accurately the performance of the car.

Also, OVTune is not solely about HP gain, OVTune is more about drivability and torque availability throughout the entire RPM range.

In order to have the best timing comparison results, you need to measure the car performance before tune and bolts on and then with the tune and bolts on.

Comparison and gains on a Dyno Sheet or on Mazda-Edit can be seen in percentages when you compare your data logs from stock or 1st tune file to the finished product. :laugh2:, that way you can have an idea of how much torque and hp you gained over stock.
@1 I know but I can't justify one of those, FHP (Highway Patrol) says my speedometer is accurate though >:) It was an expensive piece of paper.

@2 Yep, same with the 2.0 I had.

@3/4 I've been tracking and I'm looking at est. 20-25 for HP/TQ still waiting for the last file but it won't change much.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts

1 second gains gets very pricey fast, but OVT makes it more responsive.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Cool! 6.8s is the exact time i recorded as well with my OV tune + RB exhaust - so at least we have some consistency. I have yet to beat that time but haven't tried a whole lot either.

"Still slow" is relative as far as i'm concerned, folks were hooting and hollering in their 5.0 mustangs back in the day with similar straightline performance, i'm stoked i can have some semblance of speed and driving satisfaction in a "sensible" car in 2018.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! 6.8s is the exact time i recorded as well with my OV tune + RB exhaust - so at least we have some consistency. I have yet to beat that time but haven't tried a whole lot either.

"Still slow" is relative as far as i'm concerned, folks were hooting and hollering in their 5.0 mustangs back in the day with similar straightline performance, i'm stoked i can have some semblance of speed and driving satisfaction in a "sensible" car in 2018.
Yeah I don't take 'still slow' seriously just joking around. I could probably squeak out some tiny bits but overall it doesn't matter, what really does are the back road adventures and I'm happy with how this car performs with a little extra done to it.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. It looks like your car is running well.

I may need to invest in a CS RMM, TMM and OV Tune down the road...
CK

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for sharing this. It looks like your car is running well.

I may need to invest in a CS RMM, TMM and OV Tune down the road...
CK
It feels great especially w/the shift bushings and plate, and for some reason I appreciate the light transmission whine which I heard goes away. Looks like we will have similar builds looking @ yours, I had H&R/FSD on my last car and I'm likely doing it again. Special actives are available in august from tire rack.

I have 1 maybe 2 tune files left until completion but I think it will just be sorting out the minor things they find so not much left on the table.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Removing the rear seats and spare tire will make zero difference....I suggest some Zymol Aerodynamic wax to knock off those few seconds you're looking for.
It's time to ask yourself, "Do I really need a spare tire and back seats?" lol

All of the above? And the driver weight mod? Should be good for a handfull of hp lol.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you are interested in slicing off a few more tenths off your time, opt for the OVT e85 tune. Skyactiv engines responds well to octane, and there is a noticeable difference between 91 octane and e85 tunes. This assumes of course that you have a few e85 stations around.

The throttle response addon is also highly recommended for all-around driveability.

Reactions: minsanity

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are interested in slicing off a few more tenths off your time, opt for the OVT e85 tune. Skyactiv engines responds well to octane, and there is a noticeable difference between 91 octane and e85 tunes. This assumes of course that you have a few e85 stations around.

The throttle response addon is also highly recommended for all-around driveability.

No reasonably located e85 but I do have 93 so I've got that going for me which is nice. I have to wait until they open orders back up to get the throttle calibration. Overall the time isn't important though, just nice to see gains.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
I totally agree with you. Even little enhancements bring a smile to my face.

It's all about making progress on your car and having fun while doing it.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
Any tips for improving 0-60 times and launches in general?

I'm still working on the timing for my launches. I either release the clutch too early and lug the engine or I release it too late and end up spinning my wheels... So... frustrating... Of course the difference between too early and too late is literally milliseconds...

Those times that I have nailed the timing and actually launched.. were absolutely priceless... You get mushed into the back of your seat and the wheels pull hard and fast... Why can't I do that every time!
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
Is it considered cheating if you partially release the clutch and leave it just on the verge of engaging 1st, without rolling your wheels, before you hit the gas pedal? It makes timing the 1st shift so much easier. Floor the gas pedal and release the clutch the last little bit right as you do. I was able to get a couple good launches on the way to work today. That was fun. >:)
CK

P.S. Now I need a Scangauge or other OBDII tool to start accurately timing this stuff, so I can work on improving it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts