2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, time for some Camber bolts up front, what do you recommend? I hear SPC isn't as strong as some others so I'd rather do like eibach or whiteline.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,263 Posts
Moog K90474 Camber Bolt
CK

Reactions: Midnightsky228

·
Registered
645 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the Mazda3 Skyactiv has electric power steering. I know my '17 Mazda6 does. I find my steering a bit wooden at highway speeds... and I know the alignment is good on my car. I find that unlike hydraulic PS you cannot merely "urge" the steering in a straight-ahead direction like you can with HPS. Instead, you actually have to move off-centre and very slightly engage (a slight amount of) power assistance... first to the right, then to the left, etc etc. In other words you have to actively steer the car to go straight... unlike with HPS where you almost "urge" it to go straight. My comments are made because it's my sense that if you dial-in (much) negative camber at all - you will encourage the chassis to "tram-track" - i.e. to 'kind of follow the road imperfections... and this perhaps subtly-evident EPS tendency of needing you to actively steer the car will be exacerbated.

Worth considering?

Comments?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,263 Posts
It's fun for turns, but that's about it.

I had a ton of negative camber going... toe-in in the rear.. not very comfy ride.. you can take turns at crazy speeds though..

I run SPC bolts in front.. no complaints.. Super Pro front control arm bushings helped more tbh. The caster adjustment made a big difference. It's also one of the only way to adjust caster up front.

Megan Racing adjustable camber/control arms with Super Pro bushings going in the rear this Wednesday. Should finish things up.. i hope.
CK

·
*The Electrician*
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I'm not mistaken the Mazda3 Skyactiv has electric power steering. I know my '17 Mazda6 does. I find my steering a bit wooden at highway speeds... and I know the alignment is good on my car. I find that unlike hydraulic PS you cannot merely "urge" the steering in a straight-ahead direction like you can with HPS. Instead, you actually have to move off-centre and very slightly engage (a slight amount of) power assistance... first to the right, then to the left, etc etc. In other words you have to actively steer the car to go straight... unlike with HPS where you almost "urge" it to go straight. My comments are made because it's my sense that if you dial-in (much) negative camber at all - you will encourage the chassis to "tram-track" - i.e. to 'kind of follow the road imperfections... and this perhaps subtly-evident EPS tendency of needing you to actively steer the car will be exacerbated.

Worth considering?

Comments?
Im sure there will be some annoyance from it, but Im willing to deal with it.

·
*The Electrician*
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So back to my original question lol, will those whiteline camber bolts work?

·
Super Moderator
5,475 Posts
My comments are made because it's my sense that if you dial-in (much) negative camber at all - you will encourage the chassis to "tram-track" - i.e. to 'kind of follow the road imperfections... and this perhaps subtly-evident EPS tendency of needing you to actively steer the car will be exacerbated.

I have about 2° of camber in the front right now, no tram lining is evident. The car goes where you point it, and it doesn't follow the road imperfections. It does keep the treadface in contact with the road better. You can feel the difference when cornering hard..I've seen some guys who have 5° or more for track purposes and don't have any steering issues.

As to the camber bolts, theres only so many ways to do this. Most are pretty much the same, the best seem to give a ±1.75° range. If the Whiteline bolts are listed for the 3rd gen Mazda 3 they should work.

·
*The Electrician*
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only ones I can find listed for our car is the SPC ones. Guess I may have to use those, the whitelines may or may not fit. I know someone with the Eibach ones but they are also not listed as fitting our 3rd gens.

·
*The Electrician*
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: CerealKiller

·
*The Electrician*
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just talked to my alignment guy, he's pretty busy, probably about a month or so before we connect to get it done on a weekend. He's a National Autocross Champion so he knows how to squeeze every last bit out of an alignment, definitely worth the wait. I'll check back in about a month to let you know how it went 😎

·
Registered
45 Posts
'Betcha he knows how to corner-balance too...

Unless you have coilovers (obviously with adjustable spring perches), corner balancing is pointless. Many times, good coilover kits for McStrut cars also come with an adjustable camber/caster plate as the top mount, rendering camber bolts pointless.

Oh, and a good shop will also know to disconnect an endlink on each swaybar to eliminate preload. ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Unless you have coilovers (obviously with adjustable spring perches), corner balancing is pointless. Many times, good coilover kits for McStrut cars also come with an adjustable camber/caster plate as the top mount, rendering camber bolts pointless.

Oh, and a good shop will also know to disconnect an endlink on each swaybar to eliminate preload. ;)
I agree with your comment that without adjustable spring perches (that a sport strut would NOT offer but a coilover WOULD) - that corner balancing is pointless. Only I would say that it is not so much pointless as it is impractical. You would have to create a custom shim for each sport-strut's spring perch and disassemble the strut each time to change shim. No one would do that!

Sounds like you've done- or had a few cars cornerbalanced ☺ . Great comments...

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
205 Posts
It's fun for turns, but that's about it.

I had a ton of negative camber going... toe-in in the rear.. not very comfy ride.. you can take turns at crazy speeds though..

I run SPC bolts in front.. no complaints.. Super Pro front control arm bushings helped more tbh. The caster adjustment made a big difference. It's also one of the only way to adjust caster up front.

Megan Racing adjustable camber/control arms with Super Pro bushings going in the rear this Wednesday. Should finish things up.. i hope.
CK
Did you happen to get adjustable toe arms for the rear?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,263 Posts
Yes. Megan Racing adjustable camber and toe arms are in the rear. SPC camber bolts up front for some negative camber and double offset control arm bushings from Super Pro in front to adjust the caster.
CK

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
205 Posts
Yes. Megan Racing adjustable camber and toe arms are in the rear. SPC camber bolts up front for some negative camber and double offset control arm bushings from Super Pro in front to adjust the caster.
CK
Any noticeable differences in steering feel?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,263 Posts
It helps, but it's more for the tread wear of the tires. The toe in combined with negative camber allows for even tread wear and improved handling. Tires will wear on the inside if you run negative camber with no toe in.
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,475 Posts
Steering feel will change depending on your alignment numbers.
The Mazda 3 has a single point for rear toe and camber adjustment. If you add negative camber toe will change too. The car will not feel right and you may end up with uneven wear. This is why to make proper alignment adjustments you need to have adjustable arms. More camber will provide more grip in the corners. Toe in at the rear makes the car track straight. Less toe in will reduce the tendency to push so it will turn in faster.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts