2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My stock Yoko's are cursed. Had to replace 1 already(Found a great used one for 85.00 thankfully), 1 had a large nail go in the sidewall and back out but. It didn't punch thru but still make me nervous. And another leaking about a few psi a week also with 2 small pieces of metal close to the sides, also non-repairable. I just have to get 3 more months on them then putting on winter setup and getting rid of these. Good ridence! They handled well dry/wet but were loud, really sucked in snow and wore fast.
Anyway, looking for a solid summer tire- Leaning towards the Conti Extremecontact DW or something in that price range. What do you run and do you like them? Any reviews on the Conti's or suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Best summer tire I've ever driven on. Michelin is offering rebates right now which brings the price down to the Conti DW. price

The Michelin PSS are stellar in the dry and wet. Have nearly unending grip. When you do get to the grip limit the tires break away slowly and progressively so you know it's starting to happen and you have time to correct or back off. The tire loses grip before the sidewalls roll so they stay stable the whole time. Best of all the tires ride softly and they are ultra quiet. I can't think of any other tire that I have ever driven on that did everything as well as these tires do. They excel in every area. I actually enjoy driving my car again since putting these tires on.

I'm thinking of buying another set and throwing them in my storage unit for when I need them.

Reactions: punkk77

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Best summer tire I've ever driven on. Michelin is offering rebates right now which brings the price down to the Conti DW. price..

Rebates. like the sound of that. I'll check em out.. I'm also holding out for the Camber Arms. Just need em before I put my winter tires on..

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Reactions: Kjohn63

·
Registered
5 Posts
best tires

Bridgestone AS970 pole position are worth looking into.
I have run the on an S40 and a CTS.
Extreme good traction, especially wet, and VERY quiet.
This is a rare combination to find.
I assume 205 55 16, as these are available.
I have never ordered from the tirerack, but what a great place to read reviews and look at "surveys"
This tire rates ery high in all areas, especially geat for sport sedans.

Alanro

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have Conti DW and love the grip they have

If I had to be picky though the only faults I can find is that they're a little noisy. And I dont know if it's the tires or the car since skyactiv dont have much sound deadening(dont believe me, put one on a lift and take a peek) but that could be a negative for some. Personally it doesn't bother me too much since the stock tires were even noisier.
Also they sometimes like to follow grooves in the highway. It nothing major like its gonna pull you off the road or anything but you do feel it kinda wander around a little even though youre not giving it any steering but only on those really crappy sections of highway where they look like they ran sowing discs over them. Again, this isn't a huge deal to me but some people may not put up with this

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Tires with straight grooves often tramline more. My PSS do that a lot too, though strangely the amount is affected by my rear sway bar...

I also suspect that they heat-cycle out of grip, like the higher-end streetable track tires (RS-3, ZII, RE11, etc.). Not that this matters hugely if you're not racing, but it seems like I've started to lose overall grip after the many canyon runs I've used for testing and tuning. Probably less than 5% if you measure steady-state G's, but even that's a big difference on the track.

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 3 best rated for the OEM size tire replacement 17" per the Tire Rack survey-
1. Bridgestone Protenza S04 -- 488.00 per set(lowest amount of reported miles). 8.9 w 86 reviews
2. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2- 726.00 per set after rebate. Reviews- 8.6 w 1586 reviews
3. Conti Extreme Contact DW- 448.00 per set. Reviews- 8.6 w 751 reviews.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The 3 best rated for the OEM size tire replacement 17" per the Tire Rack survey-
1. Bridgestone Protenza S04 -- 488.00 per set(lowest amount of reported miles). 8.9 w 86 reviews
2. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2- 726.00 per set after rebate. Reviews- 8.6 w 1586 reviews
3. Conti Extreme Contact DW- 448.00 per set. Reviews- 8.6 w 751 reviews.
Theres your answer :detective: lol

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Tires with straight grooves often tramline more. My PSS do that a lot too, though strangely the amount is affected by my rear sway bar...

I also suspect that they heat-cycle out of grip, like the higher-end streetable track tires (RS-3, ZII, RE11, etc.). Not that this matters hugely if you're not racing, but it seems like I've started to lose overall grip after the many canyon runs I've used for testing and tuning. Probably less than 5% if you measure steady-state G's, but even that's a big difference on the track.
This may give you an idea of whats going on. Not that I would shave street tires to use on the street but it makes sense that abusing tires at full tread will inevitably break them down sooner so their full grip potential lasts less even though theres still a lot of tread left.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=67

I know I probably didnt make much sense but it makes complete sense in my head haha

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Oh I totally agree that's what's going on, but I expected a little better from a 300-treadwear tire with a reputation for longevity. Guess I'm pushing them a tick harder than their average customer lol.

I'm even getting the rears trued down to 6/32 or 7/32 on Friday. I flat-spotted the one with the most wear lol, so to even things out and save my diff later on, need to waste tread. :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced my Yokohama's with Cooper Zeon RS3-A's of the same size and I'm in love with them Ride smooth and quiet, hardly ever hydroplane even at highway speeds, and handle great in the twisties. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sumitomo best deal I've found

I just replaced my stock Yokohamas with Sumitomo HTR Z III XL Max Performance Summer 205/50ZR-17 at only $77 each at TireRack. Read the review their on budget Summer tires.

I've been driving these for several weeks now and I'm amazed at the difference in many areas compared to the stock tires. I drove these down to the Mazdafest at Willow Springs and they handled great on the track. I'm noticing much more accurate and faster steering response, but what was most noticeable to me in ride quality is the huge difference in road noise. On the same stretch of noisy highway/freeways, the noise level is probably 1/2 what it was before... it really blows me away how quite the car is now.

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After much shopping and back and forth I decided on Bridgestone Protenza S04's. Kept it simple and went with OEM sizes. It was down to them, the Conti extreme contact dw or the Sumi HTR ZIII's. With all the reviews very pretty close the difference was people seemed to be getting a little longer life out of these. A 100.00 gamestop card didn't hurt either(GTA 5 you'll soon be mine). Hell, there even sending me one of those bridgestone footballs..
So far, with the new RSB very happy with the results, little oversteer to get use to. Very quiet(for riding in a 3), don't have to turn my stereo up to 40 not to hear the tires anymore. Too bad i'm putting em away in about 2 months.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Little late to this aug question however I too had issues with Yokos S34 fine dry weather tire but awful wet weather tire got rid of them at 12k and put on Goodyear TripTred to get better wet handling however dry handling suffered pulled those off after 11k and last month went to Michelin New Pilot Sport AS3 225/45/17 and now my car tracks great in dry and very well in wet. I've finally found a tire for my car that I will continue to buy as long as they are available. Wanted to consider to Contis DWS yet a friend of a friend said the Michelin is a step up. Got a great buy on them from TireBuyer.com along with a gift card rebate $70. I did replace my wife's new car tires with Contis Pure Contact and she loves how they handle vs the OEM Hanook Optimo H426. I rather speed more for a great tire than spend it on the latest greatest cell phone/service. Getting rid of that overprice cell phone and provider saves me more than enough money to buy new tires each year plus synthetic oil changes every 4k and still have money left over to put away for when I need new brakes and rotors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts