2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

2014 Mazda GT Sport, Automatic​

Sorry for reposting this, but I will be going to a dealership soon and I really really need your thoughts on this :nerd:

When the car is at parking or doing reverse the engine has a knocking or like clock ticking sound (TICK TICK TICK TICK....) and its coming directly from the top of the engine on the right side (if you facing the car with the open hood). Also you can hear this sound if you are inside the cabin. Also the sound sometimes not that obvious and sometimes you can hear it without trying to concentrate on it...

One more thing to add to the above note - I also noticed that the engine is a little bit vibrating, if you put your hand on the top of the engine, your hand will shake like if you have a hang over

Here are a few videos that I posted on YouTube, hope it helps.

Video 1 This one is for the ticking sound- at 1:01-1:09 min of the video you can hear that tick sound very clearly

Video 2 This one has my hand over the engine to show the vibration + in this video you can also hear the ticking sound as well

Thanks all in advance,

·
Registered
88 Posts
It is difficult to diagnose a ticking noise with amateur video, but with the ticking noise emanating most predominantly from the upper driver side, per your description, and judging by your video, you are hearing nornal operation of the high pressure fuel pump. You can see the low pressure fuel line in the video, which sup plies the pump. It is the black tube with the blue retaining clip. These pumps are near universally noisy, found on all GDI engines. It is possible to hear it operate more noisily at times, depending on fuel type/quality and weather (temp). Oh, and your mood.

Lastly, I do not see any abnormal amount of vibration. An internal combustion engine has many working mechanics, including pistons and a crank which are continuously revolving and rotating. Vibration can be mitigated and dampened, but is otherwise unavoidable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks so much for taking time to reply in detail like this IHeartGroceries!!

If its not to difficult for you, could you please take a look at one more video which I just took for you at a very very quiet place, and I noticed that the noise is apparently coming from the back of the engine... and maybe its also a reason I hear the noise inside the car so well too..

Please Click here for VIDEO 3 (the knocking/ticking noise is very clear at 0.38 - 0.50 seconds of the video)

PS: I am new to Mazda and I am very sorry if this is a common thing with this car and I am making so much deal about it... I just want to make sure that its normal. BTW I love this car already and if it is normal I can live with that no problem :)

Thanks a lot in advance,

romeo

·
Registered
779 Posts
Is it just me or does it sound like there's an exhaust leak? Perhaps its yiur recorders mic that is sensitive to those frequencies. It sounds like glug glug glug...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Okay, in video 3, I hear two separate noises. One, the "glug glug glug" type noise already mentioned, which is indeed unusual sounding in the video, but almost certainly just an artifact from amateur videography. It's a noisy atmosphere and poor acoustics under the hood of a car, to capture decent audio. I would say the pump might be responsible for that noise. It makes a sort of clackity noise.

Anyhow, the second noise is a rapid "tickticktickticktick", which sounds almost like a sewing machine or a typewriter being typed very very quickly. This sounds normal to me. If it seems to be coming from above the cylinder head, it is very likely the fuel injectors. They are also very noisy in GDI engines. They tend to sound almost like little diesel engines or like a tractor or something.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think mine sounds the same :S maybe I should take mine to the dealership too :S. Ill try and recoard a video tomorrow to show u guys

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IHeartGroceries, thanks for the reply, I am totaly fine with the tickticktickticktick sound, my previous car had it way louder then this (hyundai elantra 2012) However
clackity noise is very very noticeable inside the car too and I dont think I remember this noise when I bought the car. So what is that pump and is it ok if it does the noise like that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think mine sounds the same :S maybe I should take mine to the dealership too :S. Ill try and recoard a video tomorrow to show u guys

Hi Sigma, So you do hear that clackity noise inside the cabin too? It happens when you on park right? Maybe its normal since we both have the same thing?
Also what kind of model, year, type is your car?:smile2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Sigma, So you do hear that clackity noise inside the cabin too? It happens when you on park right? Maybe its normal since we both have the same thing?
Also what kind of model, year, type is your car?:smile2:
2014 mazda 3 GT. Yeah I hear the same thing in park. my cars at about 18k km. Got it last year in oct

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts