2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've been experiencing an excessive amount of noise, like a tick or crack, from the passenger side where the door and pillar meet. It just started like a week ago and has been driving me nuts. It's not really loud but its definitely noticeable. The best way I can describe it is like if you have two pieces of plastic glued together and you "crack" or break very small parts of the adhesive. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

Attached is a pic of the affected area (circled in red)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have the same noise in the same area and dealer said they had a few cars with the same noise in the same area too. I'm taking my car back in next week because they said they need to take apart the dash to get to it. The first car they had was there for over a week because they needed a Mazda engineer to come and show them how to get to it since it was a new car and they weren't familiar with it yet or something. The service guy said there might be a TSB out for this if more people start reporting it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same noise in the same area and dealer said they had a few cars with the same noise in the same area too. I'm taking my car back in next week because they said they need to take apart the dash to get to it. The first car they had was there for over a week because they needed a Mazda engineer to come and show them how to get to it since it was a new car and they weren't familiar with it yet or something. The service guy said there might be a TSB out for this if more people start reporting it.
Thanks! Really helpful. I will be contacting Mazda Corp about it (so I have info to bring with me at dealer) and scheduling an appointment with my dealership next week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which dealership are you speaking of btw? Thanks!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've had the same noises but on the driver side at the bottom of the A and B pillars and the top portion of the door trim. My center console also creaks when it's cold, but goes away once the car warms up. My music also causes some rattiling in the door, so I'm probably going to dynamat the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

So I received a response from Mazda who claimed that the noises are from normal operation of the SkyActiv Engine....Please :rolleyes 1: They said for anything else "out of the ordinary" please bring into the dealership.

I have an appointment to drop my car off this friday.

Here is a video I took this morning on the noise — ridiculous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5O4rg3Gcho

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
UPDATE:

So I received a response from Mazda who claimed that the noises are from normal operation of the SkyActiv Engine....Please :rolleyes 1: They said for anything else "out of the ordinary" please bring into the dealership.

I have an appointment to drop my car off this friday.

Here is a video I took this morning on the noise — ridiculous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5O4rg3Gcho
language barrier. They think you are talking about the ticking from the fuel injectors that people hear especially with an SRI on SkyActivs. I haven't heard it yet on my 2013 igt but that is how Mazda and other parts manufacturers describe that "ticking" noise. Your problem is different obviously. Sounds to me like a manufacturing defect with two pieces maybe rubbing together as they were made too tight. Hopefully you get it resolved and have no more problems. Good luck :wacko:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I dropped off my car this morning for this noise, told me had to leave it over night so they got me a rental for a day. Just got a call at first saying they fixed it. It was indeed the same noise that those other cars had and they were able to get it fixed quickly this time since now they're more familiar with how to access it. I'm going to go pick up my car tomorrow and hopefully no more ticking sound lol

BTW @jdpfresh are you in the LA area? If so you should take it to Browning Mazda in Cerritos since they're familiar with this issue. I took it to Alhambra and Glendale and they all were no help.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Oh yeah, I noticed that last time when it was raining hard, there was no ticking sound throughout the whole drive that day. Next day it came back. I think maybe it's due to the dry weather? I don't know, maybe when the air is more humid it sort of lubricates the car making it less creaky. Last couple of days it's been in the 80's and the ticking was not as often, just once in a while but will come back more at night drives when it's cooler lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
I get a buzz noise in the same passenger side speaker location whenever the music has a specific bass tone. I think they need to open the door trim and reattach the speaker firmly to the trim body or add more foam tape around the wire.

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Could be first year problem that will work out on the 2015's?

I have a 2011 that still doesn't have any rattles and creaks - but then again how can I tell with the Bose stereo always on.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In my car the leather trim pieces vibrate with specific frequencies. I want to pop the trim off and place a small amount of fabric tape to deaden the vibration and make a tighter overall fit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dropped off my car this morning for this noise, told me had to leave it over night so they got me a rental for a day. Just got a call at first saying they fixed it. It was indeed the same noise that those other cars had and they were able to get it fixed quickly this time since now they're more familiar with how to access it. I'm going to go pick up my car tomorrow and hopefully no more ticking sound lol

BTW @jdpfresh are you in the LA area? If so you should take it to Browning Mazda in Cerritos since they're familiar with this issue. I took it to Alhambra and Glendale and they all were no help.
Called them but Cerritos is a little too far. I'll try my local dealer first and resort to Browning if it comes to it. I'll tell my service adviser to reference browning if they seem "stumped". Thanks!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I just got my car back, the ticking/rattle is gone, even on the roughest roads.

The service guy Jay told me the sound originated from underneath the soft dash area. Underneath it there are metal support beams that are too close causing the sound so they spread them apart or something like that.

You can tell your dealer that and if that doesn't work try Cerritos.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
In my car the leather trim pieces vibrate with specific frequencies. I want to pop the trim off and place a small amount of fabric tape to deaden the vibration and make a tighter overall fit.
What leather trim are you referring to? The doors?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just got my car back, the ticking/rattle is gone, even on the roughest roads.

The service guy Jay told me the sound originated from underneath the soft dash area. Underneath it there are metal support beams that are too close causing the sound so they spread them apart or something like that.

You can tell your dealer that and if that doesn't work try Cerritos.
Great! Thank you! Was the sound you were experiencing exactly the same from the video I posted?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Took it to the dealership and turns out it's a missing bolt by the handle. I suspect that while I was getting my window tints they didn't put it back on. Hopefully this stops the buzz I was hearing at specific bass tones!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts