2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
sorta curious as to how other cars Adaptive Cruise Control is compared to the 2019 + Mazda 3. the MAza

I'm actually curious what happens... or what the damage is if the SBS comes on hard, but you continue to throttle hard... does SBS just take over 100% ?
In my situation described above, yes, the SBS came on hard overriding the throttle and causing me clutch suddenly to prevent stall(manual). Now, to my chagrin, as this is getting into my head, it has happened two more times since adjusting the sensitivity of the system. Each time the car is reacting to what it senses as a danger on my right side. The scariest of the last two times involved a quick but perfectly timed lane change from the left lane to the center lane to avoid a slow moving vehicle. Detecting a car in the extreme right lane ahead of me, the car applied brakes as I was making the lateral move into the center lane. Thank goodness this subsided as that car in the right lane moved out of detection zone... this is happening at 55mph on the Cross Island Parkway in NYC... high volume road, making that action potentially deadly.
PLEASE, ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS, CONTACT MAZDA. I realize that this system has been tested and it likely will prevent more crashes than cause them but it may require some software upgrades. Furthermore, what might be the insurance ramifications if we simply turn it off? Not to mention, I traded my 2012 expecting to feel confident in the active safety features.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Today the safety system of my car activated an acoustic alarm three times during my usual commute to work (at a distance of about 15 miles) for no reason - luckily it did not activate the brakes. This is starting to become annoying.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
SBS slams the brakes 100%..

Seatbelts lock..you curse.. grunt as your seatbelt cuts in.. slam the clutch pedal before stalling.. FUN TIMES!
CK

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks, guys, for the heads up.
And they will notify us by Feb. 17 next year ??? WTF !
This seemed absurdly slow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would love it if Mazda would allow us all to be part of a beta group to help improve their safety system software.
Most of the issues with these safety systems is with the current software.
Some have pointed out that we are guinea pigs. That's fine but give us a chance to have this software improved.
this is not a really safe attitude. to risk yourself and others on the road because you want to offer assistance to a product you think is "under development" is not right
the onus is on mazda to extensively test new software prior to release

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sitting at my
Yes, posted 2 days ago in the recall section......
Sitting at my dealer now for long scheduled warranty call for them to check the automatic locking of the car upon exit (and my gas tank access cover not automatically unlocking upon exit). Since the recall is so recent, I assumed I would have to bring the car in again for the safety system recall. I didn't even ask about it, but the first thing they said to me was that the recall was available and that they would do the recall while I was here. Now I just have to sit and wait.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)

This happens to me very often, also the "BRAKE!" alert appears on the HUD and sometimes the car starts to engage the brakes as well.
This happens even though my car had the latest SBS software update performed a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I received my recall for this today, I added it to the rearview mirror recall paperwork I still haven't done. It says the recall is for 2019 and 2020 Mazda 3s and may be a reprogram or may involve replacing instrument cluster for some reason. I'm 500 miles from the recommended oil change. The plan is bang out both recalls, the oil change, and have them order the new drivers door weather stripping that ripped.......all in 1 trip since dealership is 40mins away. I'm hoping to upgrade mirrors to auto dimming ones and pay the difference but not sure how that will work out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With all due respect, the same can be said about your position.

The fact is that the system is not always working the way it is intended to and thus it will require constant updates (like all software) which I hope mazda will provide. It seems all one can do is to keep reporting these issues to the manufacturer or to turn the system off ...or sell the car and buy an old one without these features.

Right now I'm thinking of disabling the SBS temporarily until an update comes out. So I'm renewing my question: Does anyone of you have the ability to turn off the SBS system in your 4gen mazda 3?
The only way I can turn mine off is turn of the safety feature (button to left of starring wheel). If you don’t do this first it’s locked in the infotainment system. Then you have to go into infotainment system and In safety settings turn off/uncheck SBS. Downside is you have to do this in the infotainment system every time you restart the car (it defaults back to on). Hope that helps.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts