2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this discussion because I had a potentially dangerous situation with one of the safety systems.
Today when I was driving, one of the safety systems detected a cyclist riding on the sidewalk (he was going the same direction as I was) and treated him as a potential threat immediately engaging the breaks and stopping the car almost to zero.
I'm very lucky that there was no car (or 18-wheeler) behind me.

Going through the manual I've found that the SBS system might be the one responsible for this situation, however I don't have the possibility to turn it off in the car's menu.

Did anyone of you have a similar experience?
Does anyone of you have the ability to turn off the SBS system in your mazda 3?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you can turn off all the driver's assist / safety features via the button on the dash to the lower left of the steering wheel. Not sure is SBS is individually selectable via the infotainment center.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you can turn off all the driver's assist / safety features via the button on the dash to the lower left of the steering wheel. Not sure is SBS is individually selectable via the infotainment center.
Yes that's true, however I'm interested only in turning off the SBS. There is an option in my car's menu, but it is locked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What a nightmare! My skepticism of newer technology continues to prove itself well warranted.

Hope you can get the system disabled or better calibrated, that's a scary malfunction of a feature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've only managed to lower the sensitivity of the SBS. I'm planing to invest in a dash-cam, so if I get hit by a 18-wheeler maybe at least my family could have a chance to get some compensation from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've only managed to lower the sensitivity of the SBS. I'm planing to invest in a dash-cam, so if I get hit by a 18-wheeler maybe my family could have a chance to get some compensation from the manufacturer.
Yeah, good luck with that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Safety systems in cars can malfunction, better to start figuring out what might have caused this specific incident vs trying to defeat the safety suite your car is equipped with.

This discussion actually goes back to the good old days when seatbelts started getting installed into cars, and someone pointed out that there was a probable scenario in which someone could be trapped in a car and drown or burn to death because the seat belt kept them from escaping quickly enough. I am pretty sure this has happened in the many years since the 1960's, offset by the number of lives saved by safety belts.

Statistically and in every practical way, you are safer learning how to use the systems that exist in your 2019 IIHS Top Safety Pick Mazda 3, and not shutting them off.

I guess be more aware if there is a cyclist and see if there is a reason the car thought you were occupying the same lane? Go to the dealer and check the calibration and explain what happened?
Maybe that dash cam would show the cyclist doing something that caused the car to think it was in the same lane?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Safety systems in cars can malfunction, better to start figuring out what might have caused this specific incident vs trying to defeat the safety suite your car is equipped with.

This discussion actually goes back to the good old days when seatbelts started getting installed into cars, and someone pointed out that there was a probably scenario in which someone could be trapped in a car and drown or burn to death because the seat belt kept them from escaping quickly enough.

Statistically and in every practical way, you are safer learning how to use the systems that exist in your 2019 IIHS Top Safety Pick Mazda 3, and not shutting them off.
Well I guess you're right.

Go to the dealer and check the calibration and explain what happened?
I've already reported the problem to my dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts

This discussion actually goes back to the good old days when seatbelts started getting installed into cars, and someone pointed out that there was a probably scenario in which someone could be trapped in a car and drown or burn to death because the seat belt kept them from escaping quickly enough.

I guess be more aware if there is a cyclist and see if there is a reason the car thought you were occupying the same lane? Go to the dealer and check the calibration and explain what happened?
Maybe that dash cam would show the cyclist doing something that caused the car to think it was in the same lane?
It's not an issue the end-user can fix, but it is a "feature" that has so far CAUSED a hazardous condition due to a malfunction, misinterpretation, miscalibration, what have you. The OP purchased a vehicle with a "safety" feature installed and active that one would expect not to malfunction or act in an unexpected way.

This isn't seatbelts, this is a system that can take control over the function of your motor vehicle while you are occupying and operating it. Your equivalency doesn't hold up here, this system put the OP in a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's not an issue the end-user can fix, but it is a "feature" that has so far CAUSED a hazardous condition due to a malfunction, misinterpretation, miscalibration, what have you. The OP purchased a vehicle with a "safety" feature installed and active that one would expect not to malfunction or act in an unexpected way.

This isn't seatbelts, this is a system that can take control over the function of your motor vehicle while you are occupying and operating it. Your equivalency doesn't hold up here, this system put the OP in a dangerous situation.
a system that statistically is more likely to save his life than take it, but I see you have a position you won't budge from...

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
You aren't the first and won't be the last to experience this.
Manufacturers deal in statistics. If 1% of cars with this system get into an accident because the system stops the car without reason and a few people get hurt, thats an acceptable casualty rate....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I see you have a position you won't budge from...
With all due respect, the same can be said about your position.

The fact is that the system is not always working the way it is intended to and thus it will require constant updates (like all software) which I hope mazda will provide. It seems all one can do is to keep reporting these issues to the manufacturer or to turn the system off ...or sell the car and buy an old one without these features.

Right now I'm thinking of disabling the SBS temporarily until an update comes out. So I'm renewing my question: Does anyone of you have the ability to turn off the SBS system in your 4gen mazda 3?

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
a system that statistically is more likely to save his life than take it if he is not paying attention as he should be when driving, but I see you have a position you won't budge from...
Fixed it for you....
There are many stories out there about the nanny systems taking over control of the car for no apparent reason. The technology does not seem ready for consumer use. However, the auto industry is using us as guinea pigs to advance the development of these systems. Getting feedback from customers, good or bad, is a lot cheaper than doing extensive long term testing...and you can't get real world failure statistics unless a few people get hurt....but what does a few people matter when this stuff can according to some people save millions in the long run....

SBS can be turned off. First turn off the i-Activsense using the dash button. Next go into the safety settings menu. You can now uncheck the SBS system.
But it won't stay off....if its like the other systems you'll need to do it every time you start the car....

·
Registered
108 Posts
SBS can be turned off. First turn off the i-Activsense using the dash button. Next go into the safety settings menu. You can now uncheck the SBS system.
Thanks for the information. Should I buy a 2020 3, that will be one of the first things I do. That SBS system is potentially an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's ok, luddites, you won't ever need to learn the name of the driver in the car behind you that didn't rear end you because their car stopped itself. Even if you hate these technologies, have a little appreciation for that...

So who to trust, IIHS and all those other safety promoting scientists, or random internet dudes who don't like safety technology intruding on their rides...

(there is a lot of testing happening before these systems are released, however I was a guinea pig for 3 years with the last generation Subaru Eyesight before getting this Mazda 3, it feels so dangerous!)

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
So who to trust, IIHS and all those other safety promoting scientists, or random internet dudes who don't like safety technology intruding on their rides...
You seem to have missed who funds a lot this safety stuff. The IHS is funded by the insurance companies, and most of this stuff goes to increasing their bottom line. You don't really think they would publish studies that say anything that the big insurance companies don't want you to hear do you....
If somebody smashes into my car from the rear, your precious statistics say it will probably be some idiot playing with the over abundance of technology available inside the car instead of paying attention to what is happening right in front of the car...

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's ok, luddites, you won't ever need to learn the name of the driver in the car behind you that didn't rear end you because their car stopped itself. Even if you hate these technologies, have a little appreciation for that...

(there is a lot of testing happening before these systems are released, however I was a guinea pig for 3 years with the last generation Subaru Eyesight before getting this Mazda 3, it feels so dangerous!)
Who do I trust? I don't trust bureaucrats and those self-styled elitists, scientists or otherwise, who presume they think they can save me from myself. Keep in mind that many of these individuals have their own agenda which is not necessarily beneficial to our own needs and interests. I'm a fully competent driver with many years of experience obtained on a variety of vehicles. I believe that I'm fully competent to operate a vehicle safely and the day I feel that is no longer possible I'll hang up my driving gloves. I'm certainly no luddite and I appreciate technology, provided it's used appropriately, but I really enjoy driving and knowing that I'm in command of as many functions of the vehicle as possible. To me, driving is a pleasure, never a chore. You may think I'm a random internet dude who doesn't like safety technology and you would be right, with certain exceptions, for the most part.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts