2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get a fairing to complete my rack setup. Thule's site suggests the 38" fairing but I just wanted to get some opinions and maybe photos of different lengths on a 2010-2011 hatch. What are you guys and gals running on your 3's? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I have a rack too. Whats a fairing do? Less wind noise and better MPG? They look cool. Keep me updated if you get one that fits

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have the 43" aero load bars and the 44" fairing, although I haven't used the fairing for a while. It does cut the wind noise quite a bit, but I think it looks kinda ugly IMO. Especially on the hatch, it looks off balance. I only have the roof rack on when I'm loading my SUP, otherwise I remove it and keep it in the back. If you have full length pads on the bars like I do for my wide board, then they don't make as much wind noise as without. Here's some old pics for my bike set up, sorry no head-on pic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 43" aero load bars and the 44" fairing, although I haven't used the fairing for a while. It does cut the wind noise quite a bit, but I think it looks kinda ugly IMO. Especially on the hatch, it looks off balance. I only have the roof rack on when I'm loading my SUP, otherwise I remove it and keep it in the back. If you have full length pads on the bars like I do for my wide board, then they don't make as much wind noise as without. Here's some old pics for my bike set up, sorry no head-on pic.

Thanks for the replay. Your pics helped a lot. I think I will go with the 44" as it seems like it fills the roof better.

I leave my rack on since I'm always moving something big. Looking to get a fairing to cut down wind noise and just another place to put stickers!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Fairing size doesn't matter... you can use any size fairing to suite the looks you want. they don't increase gas mileage but do cut down on the wind noise and whining.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I have a sedan :/

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same setup as XERO: aero bars and fairing. They work well together.

If you have square bars, I would definitely recommend the fairing. If you have aero bars, it's a useful accessory. Thule just came out with some new bars that are supposed to not need a fairing at all, but it still might be useful depending on what utility rack you actually have on the bars.

re: sedan vs hatch

The black fairing did pair better with the silver sedan than the gray hatch. Next car will be white....

The hatch and sedan should both have fix points under the black gutter covers. My 2nd gen hatch had little access covers (1/2" x 4") to get to the fix points. These were much appreciated. My 1st gen sedan had a solid gutter rail, but still had fix points underneath. If you are so inclined, just drill a 3/4" hole and mount the rack through the black rail.

\m/ 808

·
Registered
703 Posts
^ Yup. I had a 1st gen 2007 Mazda 3 and it did have the fix points under the gutter trim. I drilled a hole over each one and used black electrical tape to cover them when not in use. In fact my Thule setup came from the '07 and when I got the 2010, I just had to move the mounts out a bit. So glad I didn't have to buy a new kit for the 2010.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ending up going with the Thule 44". My main concern was to cut down wind noise because i use my rack so much i just decided to leave it on the car. Well, the fairing cut down almost all the wind noise created by the bars and it is much more livable now. If you can find a bit of a deal on one, like i did, i do suggest it.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Here's mine I have a bigger fairing though then the recommended size

1 - 15 of 15 Posts