2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, so currently I have my wheels plasti dipped, but man they are a pain in the ass keeping them clean. I've had them for about 7 months and break dust make them look so shty even though I wash my car every other 5-7 days or so. I am a college student so I am really on a budget to buy some good wheels. Once I've tried Simple Green and BDP from DYC site but I live in México and its very difficult to get it as they dont ship here. I got 2 powder coating quotes for $25 dlls/wheel approx, but by the price I am kind of worried they mess them up and affect the strength and durability of the rim. What are you're thoughts on spray painting them with duplicolor from autozone or other spray paint?

Thanks, greetings from México.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Noname, welcome ot M3R.

Whether you paint or powder coat them, if you use a solid color, especially the darker it is, the wheels are going to show dust. That is why a metallic, about the color of your dust (if you like it) is the best way to avoid the cleaning your wheels often routine.

Unless you are very experienced and talented with spray cans of paint, I would not go that route. I am going to have my wheels powered coated, as it is so much more durable than any paint, and they often have hundreds of color choices -- including metallics. Powder coating does not now effect rim strength as the temperatures it is now done are much lower than years ago. If you have any doubts as to the quality, personally visit their business unannounced and ask to see some of the wheels that have done.

And regarding simple green, it works to clean wheels real well, but as I live on a gravel road, which become a huge dust producer in the dry weather, I can tell you from experience that Simple Green is not going to help keep the dust off of them.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
267 Posts
+1 for a proper powder coat if you aren't going to change wheels. I dipped my OEM 16" and I had the same dust issue, looked good clean but after a few days it looked like cheap garbage wash/repeat. I ended up going with gloss black wheels and honestly the dust is noticeable but it isn't bad unless you have a direct contrast to a clean wheel. So black is acceptable only when done right as it negates the cheap look, if you want to further fight the dust go with a gunmetal or lighter color. If you're stuck on black, do it right.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
One of the ways I am going to minimalize the appearance of dust is to go with a medium black chrome with metallic silver fleck powder coat. It is a "Prismatic" brand powder called "Ultra Black Chrome. On a light-to-dark scale, it is slightly darker than medium gray, yet lighter than a dark gray.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts