2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been very curious as to why Mazda decided to give people such a small tachometer for the 2014-2015 with the Manual Transmissions compared to the Automatic Transmissions. Any one have any input as to why the random difference?

Seems it should be reversed in my mind.

Manual=bigger tachometer

Automatic=smaller tachometer

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
I agree with you, manuals should have a bigger tacho and digital speed like the FRS/BRZ. Most likely they went with the current design for production convenience as I assume they do all the 2.0s in one production line, then the 2.5s afterwards. I have a feeling at the 16-17MY refresh they'll make the tacho bigger for manuals or have all 3's come with the tacho center dash.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You have it wrong.

Tach size isn't based on manual versus automatic. It's based on 2.0(i) vs 2.5(s). 2.0 models have the small digital tach. 2.5 models have the large center tach with digital speedo. I have a 2.5 manual. It's got the big tach.

In an ideal world Mazda would have seen fit to give drivers a large tach and speedo in two separate gauges instead of trying to get cute with one huge round gauge flanked by digital pods. That said, I do like the set-up on the 2.5 with the tach front and center and the ADD projecting the speed right in front of me @ windshield level. If I had to choose of the two set-ups Mazda offers, the one the 2.5 has is the better way to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow! Thanks for that. That's new news to me about the motor size difference depending on what Tach is placed in the car. I am very happy with my 2.5 Large center tach with the ADD as well.

So does the 2.5 display cost more to put it in the center? Is that the reasoning for the smaller 2.0 display? Im guessing yes but its not confirmed

·
Registered
75 Posts
IMO, a digital tach is a bad idea in a manual trans car if you plan on really driving it hard. As one who has driven more than one car down a drag strip, I know that I always shifted by glancing at the tach and noting the relative position of the needle to the redline; I was definitely not reading numbers off it! After you know the car a bit, you can just recognize the needle position where you want to shift.

On cars where we'd put in an aftermarket tach, it was not uncommon to position it in its bracket so that the rev needle would be pointing straight up at your shift point. Then you just had to be able to see it out of the corner of your eye to sense when it hit the shift point.

I have a 2.5 automatic and have no use for that big tach, but at least I have gotten used to the digital speedo. Or maybe I should say "speedos" plural since I actually have two of them with the HUD on the sGT. :smile2:

·
Registered
77 Posts
The engine size thing makes sense. I have a manual, and the tach is HUGE so I was having a hard time figuring out what this was all about... I bet it has to do with the trim package more than the engine too, for example the S models also happen to have the HUD displaying the speed. My bet is they figured with the HUD there was less need for a prominent speedo and they could get away with a bigger tach.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have 2.0 manual. I hated the small digital tach, but under normal driving, I rely more on speedo to determine upshift / downshift point and gear.

So I got used to the small digital tach. At least it's in bars. Imagine digital tach in numbers. lmao.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the 2.0 also, and dislike the small tacho imensly.:|

·
Registered
47 Posts
I actually didn't like the big center tach with the small digital speedometer in the S I test drove.
I don't mind the small digital tach, I don't use anyways, I shift by feel, sound, and speed..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imo, I just find the small tach so un useful.. I would hate to have to look down and try to find the tach then read the numbers to know when to shift. I know laot of you guys go off speed. I normally just go off engine sound but these things are so quiet it hard to...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the 2.5 with the AT, and I'm fine with the analog tach & digital speedo layout. I just wish one of those side pods had the added functionality of displaying water temp & oil pressure - in either analog or digital format. A voltage/ammeter display would be nice too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be a great thing to add, especially if you get the 2.5 GT or SGT. with the 15 models coming out with 6-speed transmissions now, they offer the analog large tach now correct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts