2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people use the paint on caliper kits and have much success with them. So when deciding how I wanted to paint my calipers, the brush on kits seemed very easy and not as messy (overspray, massive amounts of masking, etc.) so my question is, what are the G2 paint kits like? I found a kit on eBay for 32$. I am going to paint them orange to match the turn signals. Should I go with some other kit or are G2 pretty good kits?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have not heard one complaint about them and I've read multiple car forums each with good reviews and success as long as you take the time to do it right and read directions.

·
I LOVE pink!
136 Posts
I used the G2 from ebay on mine. Works great and hasn't faded or chipped. Was pretty easy to brush on. Did 2 coats. Light first coat and a heavier second.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The best calipers paint I used some on my jeep 2years ago still looks like I painted them today . Easy to use get some .

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
I bought a Blue G2 kit but did not end up using it as the actual quantity of paint was low and because it uses a reactor the extra paint cannot be stored, if there is any. Trust me after some driving around, pulling wheels off and on, etc. you will need an occasional touch up. I used the Blue duplicolor kit. It was less expensive had plenty of extra storable paint.

If anyone is interested in an unused Blue G2 paint kit. I'll sell it for 15.00 + how much it costs to ship it to ya....

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
G2 is the only kit you should go with when painting calipers. It's the only kit where the paint doesn't flake or chip over time.

Duplicolor is ceramic paint. It's brittle and will flake and chip.
G2 is epoxy based. It's damn near indestructible.

I've used both. I'm speaking from experience

Reactions: watchnu

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
No doubt the Epoxy is superior. I worked painting aircraft for several years, never say never when it comes to a finished surface. Too many factors involved, cleaning, prep, etc. So far after 6 months I'm still good regarding not having to do touch ups. If I do, its a 5 mins with my wheels off and don't have to spend another 32.00 bucks..

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I hope when the Duplicolor does chip that you'll come back and admit that it's measurably inferior to G2. That said there's another benefit to using G2. It's a much thicker (higher viscosity paint) so that when it flows out after being applied it hides a lot of the castings marks on the calipers. Duplicolor is full of solvents and has a thinner consistency so that it can be sprayed out of a can so it doesn't have quit as nice of a final appearance on the calipers as the G2.

Reactions: E.Tinker

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I used G2 paint and it stuck for a couple years before I noticed it start to chip away a little. I just touched it up with another layer of G2 paint. good stuff in my book.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
4 years on and the G2 enamel is as good as new on my 2010 MS3. The piant on my wheels has a couple of chips that I've had to repair, but the calipers look as good as the day I painted them (aside from some brake dust deposits).

If you're painting your calipers then use the G2. Anything else is a waste of money.

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts
I hope when the Duplicolor does chip that you'll come back and admit that it's measurably inferior to G2. That said there's another benefit to using G2. It's a much thicker (higher viscosity paint) so that when it flows out after being applied it hides a lot of the castings marks on the calipers. Duplicolor is full of solvents and has a thinner consistency so that it can be sprayed out of a can so it doesn't have quit as nice of a final appearance on the calipers as the G2.
Mine was a brush on kit..
09/15 Camber kits??

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Ok, you got me, didn't know there was a Duplicolor brush on kit. I used the Duplicolor ceramic aerosol spray and it started flaking within months. Had to keep touching it up which was a pita.

I'm patiently waiting for the call saying that the camber arms are in stock.

·
3 Pedals of fun!
498 Posts
I used the duplicolor brush on paint on my calipers a year ago and havent had any chips or flakes yet but my brother did his the same time as me and his does have some spots that flaked.

Either way painted calipers look cool!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had it on my old mazda 3. They were in good shape for about 8 months and then started chipping. The reason why mine started to chip was that I had already put about 25k miles on my car and my calipers had a good amount of grime and dirt on them. I did my best to clean them but obviously some was left over. Despite putting on like 3 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear coat they eventually flaked. They looked good but I won't be doing that again. Also a pain in the ass when it comes to working on your brakes - you have to be careful not to scratch the paint .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts