2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rubber side down
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to those this may apply to:

I am coming from a road raced Honda and am not as familiar with the suspension geometry of these cars in relation to spring rates per application. I was hoping I could get some idea of what spring rates to order for some BC Coilovers based on my ultimate goal which is a daily driven / track attack monkey. I am not afraid of a 'harsh' ride on the street, in fact I prefer it. I was considering going as high as 14 kg/mm front and about 10-12 kg/mm rear. I came up with these numbers roughly based on the difference in weight of my previous track toy (around 2500lbs after weight reduction) running 10k F 8k R spring rates versus the weight of the 3. I know there will be differences based on suspension geometry as well, length of control arms and positioning of springs / shocks, etc...

So anyway, what custom spring rates is everybody running with the BCs and to the best of your knowledge and experience, how is the handling? Can the chassis handle it? What tires are you using to balance the setup (if you have found the proper tire to match the suspension). What is the primary function of your 3? Any info is appreciated.

Thank you and happy holidays!

-CR

·
Rubber side down
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So if anybody is curious, if you order 12k front and 10k rear springs, you absolutely have to order it WITH the extreme drop option otherwise the most drop you can hope to get is about 1" or less. With the extreme drop i can guess you MIGHT be able to get a 2" drop, but I don't know yet because I am currently in the process of trying to get some help from BC to get the parts I need to get more adjustment out of the suspension.

So there's that. If anybody is thinking of getting properly stiff springs on the BR coilover kit, be sure to order with the extreme drop option. Didn't think I needed it due to past experience with other coilover kits (namely Tein) on other cars and being able to beef up spring rates 2 to 4k and still drop the car exactly where I needed it.

·
Rubber side down
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another update:

I would just like to thank all those who helped me at BC Racing North America for working with me to get the problem fixed. While I was having issues with people returning my email inquiries and phone calls ( I know I am not their only customer and they have other, much bigger projects to work on and I recognize that so I will not fault them for missing an email or two), I was finally able to get some answers and they are coming through with proper replacement parts to get my suspension setup where it needs to be. They did exactly what I would have done had it been my own business and I respect them for that. BC North America takes care of the customer!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry for the lack of replies...
I have a 2016 2.5GT, and currently don't have plans of major changes; however, I am interested in your progress.

Thank you for the updates.

·
Rubber side down
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the lack of replies...
I have a 2016 2.5GT, and currently don't have plans of major changes; however, I am interested in your progress.

Thank you for the updates.
Haha. No problem. I figured I might as well complete the story so if anybody was curious like I was, they might find the answer. Besides, I don't mind talking to myself, I have the voices to keep me company. :scared: >:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts