2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So.. I just got home for thanksgiving and my birthday this weekend. Should be a good week off from school....

After visiting a friend. I am coming down a decent slope into right corner that levels out after. It is dark .. and there was gravel all over the road (noticed on my way up the hill) So I took the turn wide going into the other lane and about 2/3 through the turn, WHAM!!!! .. in my gut I know i just bent my rim....

this is what i found...

Turns out.. i walked over after changing my tire .. a road crew cut a 3x3 square out of the road to work on a water pipe, and filled the hole in with gravel.. well with 3 days straight of rain.. all the gravel was removed.....and wondering how i missed seeing this huge hole.. was explained by the dam thing being filled with muddy water from today's rain..

:crybaby 1::argh 1::crybaby 1:

Funny, but terrible thing is... as i am changing my tire (i am like 100 ft from the hole) about six others hit the hole.. and two of them blew out there tires...

And so... if you want nice things.. seriously expect the worse, because shits just going to catch up with you sooner or later.... I am just praying that I didnt bend a control arm.. or ruin a ball joint or something... I will find out tommorrow !

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Best case scenario... I am out $300 for a new wheel and tire...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
[edit] I know I just said this was a twnship road.. but it turns out it is a state road...

So I went out this morning and took some pictures....

and here is a lexus that was getting towed when i was there for two flats due to this ...

and here is a better pic of the damages...

·
Registered
161 Posts
you can probably get the city to pay for this damage...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can probably get the city to pay for this damage...
Working on it!!!! Just really hard to get a hold of anyone important over a holiday weekend! =/

·
Registered
641 Posts
Dang, that is aweful! Best of luck to you on getting the city to pay for it. Im sure they will tell you that you are the first person to call about the hole (thats a lie cause im sure plenty of people called about it) and that your situation does not grant them enough proof that the hole in question caused the damage. Thats what happened to me. and the next day, they were filling the hole.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang, that is aweful! Best of luck to you on getting the city to pay for it. Im sure they will tell you that you are the first person to call about the hole (thats a lie cause im sure plenty of people called about it) and that your situation does not grant them enough proof that the hole in question caused the damage. Thats what happened to me. and the next day, they were filling the hole.
Yeah.. I giot the lexus' name and number... Hopefully, with another persons statement, we will have more pull.. But I am already expecting to dish out.

On a side note, hankook has a manufactuer road hazard warranty up to 25% tread loss...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Contact the city as stated and they will contact the work crew and it will be subrogated out to them for leaving it like that. As long as there were construction signs and the likes.

Happened 2 times on one of my old cars.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Contact the city as stated and they will contact the work crew and it will be subrogated out to them for leaving it like that. As long as there were construction signs and the likes.

Happened 2 times on one of my old cars.
There were no construction signs... no warning cones.. nothing indicating a "road hazard"

I am confident that they filled the hole in with gravel as a temporary solution.. but 3 days worth of rain washed it all over the road and out of the hole.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
ouch that sucks. hopefully everything works out in your favor and they pay for the damages. I hate it when they do construction and dont leave any warnings.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Then make sure there were signs around if you know what I mean.

If not.... the big kahuna for you

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just to keep everything up to date... I heard back from the township police department, and they passed me on to Aqua PA.. the water company that left the road in the dangerous condition.

After a week of the "claims" supervisor not being in... finally got a hold of him and basically they are hopefully in the end going to pay for everything... another gentleman that I didn't get a chance to speak with also filed a report and already spoke to them so I think they are being a bit forthcoming. So I have to order a new wheel.. tire.. and get it mounted and balanced, get a wheel alignment, and then send all my receipts to them to be reviewed and then hopefully refunded.

Maybe this will work out after all!

·
Registered
161 Posts
They have insurance and Subrogation for a reason... Glad it's coming together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts