2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a huge boost for Mazda3 and Mazda in general as in the June 2014 issue of Motor Trend magazine, the Mazda3 I Touring and all of its industry competitors are compared in excruciating detail against one another and a victor is chosen.

The issue is not out yet. At least I didn't see it, but Torquenews explains why this is so important for Mazda3.

Yes, Mazda has now come out on top of every single comparison test we can think to bring your attention to. This time though, the Mazda didn’t just win on driving dynamics alone. Rather it also dominated this incredibly detailed look at the compact class in terms of other important factors.
Source: Why Motor Trend's praise for the Mazda3 is so important - Torque News

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am by no means a Mazda fan boy. When i test drove the 3, it was my first time actually being inside a Mazda. I also test drove most of the other competitor cars and the 3 was definitely the best car. It's nice to see some validation of what I thought.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just don't know when is going to be enough. The American press is (correctly) fawning all over the car, but there are still some sitting on dealer lots... unlike the 1st gen Miata in'90.

C&D 10 best
R&T 10 best
Automobile 10 best
MT COTY went to the Cadillac CTS so clearly they were on drugs... but they came back and validated the 3 with a best in class comparo.
Meanwhile C&D had a comparo for the class where the 3 also won outright.

I'm not sure what else it has won, since I don't follow the automotive press that closely anymore.

Still, when is it going to be enough? When's it going to be effective? I dunno.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The mazda3 did win my heart :D (ok that was corny) Seriously, I'm no fanboy either and have never owned the same brand twice, I like trying different cars and different brands. First time mazda and loving it. However, I think that no matter how many awards the mazda3 wins, it still won't boost sales by much unless they at least start advertising more. Cars like the corolla and civics will still outsell the mazda ten fold and I see them everywhere every day. As much as I wish the mazda3 do well in sales, I do like the exclusivity and not seeing that many around lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mazda 3 has always been the best selling Mazda. Nothing else comes close to supporting Mazda profit margin.

So a few sitting on the lot doesn't mean much as consumers are savvier about when & how they buy.
It's not a indictment on the quality & performance of the car itself.

If anything, it could be that the pricing is perceived as not matching expectation: where an i MZ3 may not be providing enough value for the looks while a fully loaded T/GT maybe over price.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The mazda3 did win my heart :D (ok that was corny) Seriously, I'm no fanboy either and have never owned the same brand twice, I like trying different cars and different brands. First time mazda and loving it. However, I think that no matter how many awards the mazda3 wins, it still won't boost sales by much unless they at least start advertising more. Cars like the corolla and civics will still outsell the mazda ten fold and I see them everywhere every day. As much as I wish the mazda3 do well in sales, I do like the exclusivity and not seeing that many around lol
They are advertising much more, but their advertising is not very effective because they're using beauty shots rather than giving consumers a reason to buy the car. One of the first rules of advertising is to talk about benefits, not features. The people who run Mazda marketing are not marketing people, they are sales people who really don't know what they are doing in marketing. That's not to belittle sales people, but you should put the right people in the right positions. Like you, I believe the potential for this car and this brand is much greater than it is receiving.

Their are lots of alternatives for strategy and copy testing. For example, "the car for people who just like to drive", or "if you think it looks good, then you'll be amazed at how it drives". Or a strategy that usually works when a smaller brand competes with a larger one, comparative scenarios. When you have a better product, you need to communicate that to customers. The people at Mazda haven't figured that out yet.

If you're asking how I know all of this, it is because it was my profession before I retired. I worked my way up through marketing in Fortune 100 companies. Mazda USA is a fairly small company competing against the marketing brains of the larger ones. Their sales people are good but they don't have the marketing support to make them even better. Furthermore, they don't have the systems infrastructure that the larger companies have to measure performance and results. They seem to have great engineers, however. Their association with Ford was designed to address these weaknesses and their weakness in manufacturing. But this didn't work because Ford's strategy was to pull engineering and design from Mazda and the people at Ford really didn't care about Mazda sales. Obviously, Ford trampled all over Mazda.

I don't see a whole lot of hope that Mazda will improve much in marketing and sales, but from an individual standpoint, I'm extremely happy the engineers produced such a good car.

Reactions: lowincash
1 - 7 of 7 Posts