2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At first I was kind of disappointed with the cars lack of low end power(unless you really rev the crap out of the motor) but the more I drive it the more I like it. The comfort features and versatility behind this hatch has won me over. It took me a few days to learn to drive this thing(accelerating much slower than my Spec V) and it's been paying off.

Today I commuted to work for the first time and my mind was literally blown. It's about 45 miles one way to work(no traffic but still FAR and one of the reasons I got a more fuel efficient car).

It's about 35 miles highway and 10 miles street.

I won't lie, I had cruise control on 60 mph the whole way and just stayed in the right lane. A few times I got up to 65-70 to go around a semi but no sudden accelerations or speeding.

50 mpg............wow, just wow, this car isn't even a hybrid!~

Here is the pic for proof.

Just as an FYI, I disabled the speed restrictions, changed the background and re-enabled wifi on the infotainment system. I disabled DRL(the halogens are ugly) too...Love this thing!

·
Registered
965 Posts
You're still averaging low - mid 30s, based on your history, so this one drive in near perfect conditions doesn't really mean much, unless you keep driving like a granny and have a 50mpg average showing in your history. Lol.

The car is definitely able to squeeze out 50mpg with ease under the right driving conditions. If only those conditions were available daily... Unfortunately, we live in a world of rush hour traffic, red lights, etc and average 30mpg per tank (I average 27-29mpg constantly even with abusive daily driving and I'm happy with the car)

Nice run though. Congrats. The best I've gotten was like 41 or something even I TRIED to see how slow I can drive this thing. Haha.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got 45.1 mpg going the other direction today in the morning with rain, cruise control at 63 mph.

Even driving a bit aggressive you can get high 30's.

My avg for the tank is now 38.9 mpg. The first 100 miles I was doing 100% city and lots of time spent with my car on, parked, while I tweaked a bunch of things with the heater on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had similar experience. I have a pic somewhere of a ~25min drive, getting 51.xx mpg in my iGT 6MT. All in all though, I still average low 30's, as most of my driving is around town - very little highway unfortunately. Love the car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Geez you guys drive 100km/h (62mph) on main highways? Must be crowded/urban for you guys.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My SO just took the 3 (2.0) on a 1300+ mile trip. She drives a little slower than me. I reset the dash average before she left, and when she got back it said: 41 mpg. That's pretty good, I was surprised it went that high. It was in the northeast US so pretty cool those days but not super cold. Very little around town while up there so almost all freeway at whatever speeds. I would probably have averaged more like 36 mpg as I did back in September/October, but it was a little warmer and also used for a lot more round town and hill driving within that average. And maybe summer gas vs not? Bet that had an effect. I will find out better what my driving does to the average, actually, in a few weeks when we do the same trip again. Probably gonna be rolling this car over 10k miles in less than 4 months! Sheesh....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had another trip to work and back.
On my way to work: 44.8 mpg
On my way home: 50.7 mpg

On my way to work this morning going 65-70 mph: 43.9 mpg.

I inflate the tires to 40 psi. Stock Bridgestone EP 422. Terrible tires, I'll swap them out soon...they make way too much noise.

Just refilled at the gas station, calculated MPG: 40.1 overall.

That is 30% city, 70% highway on the full tank.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pretty good for a 70/30 split. What kind of temperatures do you have during drive times?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have an s GT (manual) and after 9 tanks my average is 35.2 mpg. That's with 60/40 state hwy/city. It's been coming down since November ... maybe the winter blend. I had a few tanks at 37 combined. I calculate each tank with an iphone app based on actual gallons and miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an s GT (manual) and after 9 tanks my average is 35.2 mpg. That's with 60/40 state hwy/city. It's been coming down since November ... maybe the winter blend. I had a few tanks at 37 combined. I calculate each tank with an iphone app based on actual gallons and miles.
Hi, so is the Mazda mileage monitoring reading around the same as your actual gallon/miles calculation? Just want to see if the Mazda system is accurate. Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi, so is the Mazda mileage monitoring reading around the same as your actual gallon/miles calculation? Just want to see if the Mazda system is accurate. Thanks.
In my experience, it's pretty accurate, usually off by 0.2 - 0.5 MPG - and that could be due to differences in pump calibration.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty good for a 70/30 split. What kind of temperatures do you have during drive times?
lately its been between 58-65 degrees for my commute to work and back.

The weekend it was mostly in the 80s.

I'm in SoCal, so we have very mild "winters" :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In my experience, it's pretty accurate, usually off by 0.2 - 0.5 MPG - and that could be due to differences in pump calibration.
The dash Mazda monitoring is fairly accurate. The calculated avg was only off by 0.3 to what my computer said.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The infotainment app seems to be about 1-2 mpg lower than my calc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah, I'm very happy with the mpg. Never got 50, but I think 45 is my highest leg. It has gone down a bit due to the cold weather (seems anytime it's consistently below 40, I get worse mpg on a tank). My car mpg average has gone down from 38.9 to 38.2, but holding steady there. My per tank mpg has gone from 38-40 down to 35-37. I'm guessing when it warms up again, the average will go up too. I generally get 40-45mpg on my 28 mile , mostly highway commute. And the Seattle area is really hilly (not to mention I live on top of the highest one), so I feel I do pretty well overall.

BTW, how do you turn of DRL? I remember asking the dealer to disable them and they said they couldn't. Figure it was BS, but didn't feel like arguing with them...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I'm very happy with the mpg. Never got 50, but I think 45 is my highest leg. It has gone down a bit due to the cold weather (seems anytime it's consistently below 40, I get worse mpg on a tank). My car mpg average has gone down from 38.9 to 38.2, but holding steady there. My per tank mpg has gone from 38-40 down to 35-37. I'm guessing when it warms up again, the average will go up too. I generally get 40-45mpg on my 28 mile , mostly highway commute. And the Seattle area is really hilly (not to mention I live on top of the highest one), so I feel I do pretty well overall.

BTW, how do you turn of DRL? I remember asking the dealer to disable them and they said they couldn't. Figure it was BS, but didn't feel like arguing with them...
Cheers man.

To turn off DRL you can search the forums for the exact way but this is what I remember.
Turn the car to ACC(not on but the point where you can operate the windows)
Press and hold the brake pedal
Turn the light switch from off to parking(not all the way on) - do this 5 times on/off
Press the hazards on/off 10 times
Turn the light switch from off to parking...5 times on/off
Release the brakes

You have to do this very fast. It took me 4 tries. You'll know it worked when you release the parking brake your DRL won't go on

1 - 19 of 19 Posts