2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the 3rd oil change today. Easy compared to the one yesterday on 2013 Mx-5. Oil filter on it is a PITA. Easy to get at on the 3 once you remove that plate with the 3 pesky plastic body tacks. Note to Mazda engineers: replace those 3 plastic things with ONE screw like the other two.

Tried using the Ironton oil extractor pump like I used yesterday on the Mx-5. It would not work. The little manual says to use it on oil at 104-122 F. Exactly how does one get the oil temperature (guess with my infrared gizmo)? Says hot oil will ruin the seals. Apparently did. Would not get suction. Getting instructions from Northern Tool on how to return it.

Used my old DR oil extractor. Took about twice as long. Checked oil after running and getting off the Rhino ramps. Slightly down due to the tiny M1 108A filter being filled. Added maybe slightly less than 1/2 quart to the already nearly 4 1/2 quarts I put in.

Used the DR to suck out the brake fluid from the reservoir and refilled with fresh DOT4.

Ralph

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most cars operating oil temp is around 220. My guess would be leave it sit for 20 minutes with the hood open to reach your target.
Personally I just use the drain plug and temperature is irrelevant. I do it on a cold engine and let it drain for the duration of one beer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most cars operating oil temp is around 220. My guess would be leave it sit for 20 minutes with the hood open to reach your target.
Personally I just use the drain plug and temperature is irrelevant. I do it on a cold engine and let it drain for the duration of one beer.
Are you sure you are giving it enough time? You may be better off if you let it drain for two beers to be sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to ask to ask about oil change change
My car here in Oz is a 14 Mazda 3 sp25 Astina not sure if this is the topspec in US
Just wanted to know what is the amount of oil to the F marker on the Dipstick.
Here in Oz its 4.5L with new filter
Done the service at Mazda shop and they put in 5L of Castrol full synthetic 5W-30
so now the dipstick shows 1cm above Full marker .
Rang Mazda and then the shop and the head mechanic says I shouldnt be worried and 5 l is nothing to worry about .
He stated that the oil expands when hot bit I checked the level after 45mins and shows 1cm above full dipstick

cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oil expands when hot? That's a new one for me. I personally would not worry too much about 1cm over the top mark. These things are designed for the occasional overfill... and you are about as far above the mark as I would be comfortable with. I'd ask the service manager where he got his chemistry degree. That is one for the books!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With an oil extractor, you could easily suck out that 1 cm of overfill. Just measure on the dip stick down to the "full" mark and insert it that way. Then just suck the excess out.
Actually, it likely won't bother. There's likely a lot of distance from full to the rotating parts.
Ralph

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oil expands when hot? That's a new one for me. I personally would not worry too much about 1cm over the top mark. These things are designed for the occasional overfill... and you are about as far above the mark as I would be comfortable with. I'd ask the service manager where he got his chemistry degree. That is one for the books!
Yeap was a rocket scientific degree ...I just bursted out laughing

In the Mazda book it states 4.5L with oil filter
also states
If oil is over the F mark penetration of fuel into engine oil can be considered

·
Registered
24 Posts
With an oil extractor, you could easily suck out that 1 cm of overfill. Just measure on the dip stick down to the "full" mark and insert it that way. Then just suck the excess out.
Actually, it likely won't bother. There's likely a lot of distance from full to the rotating parts.
Ralph
I did try with a simple syringe 60ml and small hose into the dipstick but as I pull the plunger it return under pressure back to same position
so Im lifted up again to much pressure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts