2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting rid of my stock rims and going to a set of RX-8 18's. The weight is about the same, but I think the look is better. anyone want to chime in with there thoughts on the subject. Thanks Matt

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also what do you guys think is a fare price, or what did you pay for a set.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like the way they look and how the car handles with these rims. I pay $150 for the set, but they needed work. I cleaned up the curb rash (not too much) sanded and repainted the wheels. One of the rims was warped and would not balance, so I found a brand new rim on Craig's list for $75.
Make sure if you buy used the seller knows the rims and if there is a problem with a warped rim. The seller I bought my from was up front and told me he bought a car with the RX8 rims on it and took them off to install other rims. Never ran them. For the price I took a chance. I think I still did good, 5 rims, paint supplies and my time, still under $350. The 5th rim can be straighten if I need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the way they look and how the car handles with these rims. I pay $150 for the set, but they needed work. I cleaned up the curb rash (not too much) sanded and repainted the wheels. One of the rims was warped and would not balance, so I found a brand new rim on Craig's list for $75.
Make sure if you buy used the seller knows the rims and if there is a problem with a warped rim. The seller I bought my from was up front and told me he bought a car with the RX8 rims on it and took them off to install other rims. Never ran them. For the price I took a chance. I think I still did good, 5 rims, paint supplies and my time, still under $350. The 5th rim can be straighten if I need it.
What size tires are you running and any change the RX8 TPMS modules work with the 3?

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
I am not sure about the lower models but my 2015 SGT does have them.
All tire pressure monitoring equipment on all 3rd gen models is non-tpms based. It actually works off rolling mass and ABS sensors.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
I am not sure about the lower models but my 2015 SGT does have them.
Are you sure that the wheels have modules?
Newer Mazdas have an indirect system that does not use modules. It is done using the ABS sensors to count wheel rpm. When a tire is low, the diameter changes and with that the tire rpm changes. This change is what triggers the TPMS light.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This system is a nice surprise when adding new rims. How often do you find out that you can save a few bucks when you are doing anything on a vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts