2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AAGG ;-)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2016 3i Touring a couple of months ago and gave my Prius to my son. I'm still very pleased with my purchase, but I do miss a few things about my Prius (read: these are not complaints, just observations):

Gas Mileage. Before you nominate me for the Captain Obvious award, let me explain. I expected to give up about 8 mpg when I switched ... I had gotten an average of about 44.8 mpg with my Prius, and I hoped to get 37 or 38 with the 3. Unfortunately, after 20 fill-ups I have averaged only 34.0, but we'll see if I can improve that as I continue to learn what the car likes.

Storage. My Prius had two glove compartments, a large lower one and a smaller one for maps and such above it ... and a bigger storage area under the arm rest. It also had a very nice storage area under the rear deck. I'm still learning how to avoid car clutter in the 3.

Cargo space. The specs say the two cars are comparable, but the cargo space in the Prius was definitely more usable and easier to access (IMHO) ... and the seats laid flatter. I knew that when I bought the 3, and I tested my golf clubs in it before buying, too ;-)

Entry and Exit. It's quite a bit tougher to get in and out of the 3 than it was my Prius, partly because of the door designs, and partly because the driver sits lower. Given that I'm considered a senior citizen in some restaurants, this will likely be the last car like this that I will be able to buy.

Having said all of that, all of the reasons why I chose the 3 over a new Prius still apply and after owning it for about 10 weeks I would definitely make the same decision today!

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's quite a bit tougher to get in and out of the 3 than it was my Prius, partly because of the door designs, and partly because the driver sits lower. Given that I'm considered a senior citizen in some restaurants, this will likely be the last car like this that I will be able to buy.
Enjoy it while you can! Sounds to me like you might as well get on the list for the new OV Turbo Kit to make the most of it. :laugh2:

I kid of course. I'm 6'3 and have also noticed i have to think about getting in and out a bit more with my Mazda 3. It does not bother me though. I've still got a couple of decades before i get those discounts.

·
AAGG ;-)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, what are the reason's you chose the 3 then?
In short, it's more fun to drive (6-speed, better suspension, etc.), the seats are more comfortable (including a front seat that goes back farther), and it cost about $7k less when equipped similarly.

And there's one other thing that I miss about my Prius but forgot to mention in the OP. Technology. Of course the 3 has a ton of technology, but as an engineer I miss the knowledge that some of the kinetic energy is being recovered when I press on the brake pedal, instead of being turned to heat and wasted. (My Prius still had plenty of pad thickness left on the original front brakes after 185,000 miles!)

·
AAGG ;-)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does your fuel mileage differential include running the Prius on batteries?
Yes, the hybrid drive system used power from the engine or batteries interchangeably (and often at the same time, e.g., when going up hills or starting from a stopped position). It seldom ran on battery only, except when going down long hills or maneuvering in parking lots.

·
Registered
372 Posts
but as an engineer I miss the knowledge that some of the kinetic energy is being recovered when I press on the brake pedal, instead of being turned to heat and wasted.
I'm an engineer too; the 3sGT's i-eLoop system does this too, to a smaller extent, when engine braking. Of course, you have to get the top-of-the-line model to get that, but it does help the fuel economy by 1-2mpg.

·
Registered
356 Posts
3rd Gen Prius combined MPG is 50mpg. so the 44mpg, youre 12% under EPA estimates.
3rd Gen Mazda3 2L and 6MT combined MPG is 33mpg. so youre 34mpg is 3% above EPA estimates.

If anything, youre Mazda is doing better than the Prius ;)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Speaking of hybrids, I recently drove my friend's lexus ct200 loaner car while his IS is being worked on. Well it's my first time driving a hybrid and it's the weirdest thing ever, not hearing anything while car is on and not feeling any shifting. Their weird shifter is something to get used to as well. He says he drove it hard all week and still averaged 45mpg lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
34mpg for 50000miles is 1470.58 gallons at my gas prices of 1.699 that is just 2498.51
44mpg for 50000miles is 1136.36 gallons at my gas prices of 1.699 that is just 1930.67
so a difference of 567.84 for 50000 miles.

Now you are getting worse or close to the same mileage than I am with the s and winter tires here in the mountains, I got 36-37 with the all-seasons.
I had a 12 2.0l sky manual hatch rated at 38mpg highway. With 60000 miles logged it got 38.2mpg lifetime average. You might need to relearn your driving habits to non hybrid to hybrid. After many tries I figured out I got the best mpg when I accelerated at about 1/2 throttle and shifted near 3k rpm. It seemed I was pulling out faster than most but I got to 6th quicker and would set cruise at the limit. Also a few hill I would let the dafc kick in and coast and some I coast in neutral. skyactiv (Mazda 3) | Fuelly

Now storage I agree with you, my 12 had a huge duel layer glove box the 14 is small and doesn't even have a light.
I rarely use the trunk. http://i.imgur.com/UhlXXTI.jpg
You do sit in the car lower, my dad had issues of getting out too.

·
AAGG ;-)
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3rd Gen Prius combined MPG is 50mpg. so the 44mpg, youre 12% under EPA estimates.
3rd Gen Mazda3 2L and 6MT combined MPG is 33mpg. so youre 34mpg is 3% above EPA estimates.

If anything, youre Mazda is doing better than the Prius ;)
Thanks for trying to make me feel better, but my Prius was 2nd Gen and my miles are almost all highway, so I'm comparing against those figures. :smile2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts