2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never owned a car before with an automatic gearbox! So, what is the best way to park the car? Put it in the "P" stand and/or pull the handbrake? Or, leave it in neutral and always pull the handbrake? Some say this is the best way for avoiding the handbrake to get stuck. Any experiences? Thanks!

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Never owned a car before with an automatic gearbox! So, what is the best way to park the car? Put it in the "P" stand and/or pull the handbrake? Or, leave it in neutral and always pull the handbrake? Some say this is the best way for avoiding the handbrake to get stuck. Any experiences? Thanks!
This is what I do -

For manual transmission: Leave car in neutral and parking brake up. (if on an incline I leave the car in gear...either first or reverse then pull up parking brake)

For automatic transmission: Put the car in park. Never really bother with the hand brake unless the car is parked on a hill.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
This is what I do -

For manual transmission: Leave car in neutral and parking brake up. (if on an incline I leave the car in gear...either first or reverse then pull up parking brake)

For automatic transmission: Put the car in park. Never really bother with the hand brake unless the car is parked on a hill.
This is what I do and would recommend as well

·
Registered
207 Posts
Never ever! I am a Swiss Guy and nearly everybody here drives manual cars. With a manual you always have to use the 1st gear, if parking on a hill backwards the reverse! It's to avoid the car from rolling away.

On an incline you must use the handbreak, too - for a second safety. For normal parking it's not necessary but a lot of people do...

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I don't think you can shut off the Mazda3 without the car in Park.

What I do is leave mine in N, yank the handbrake, lift off the brakes to let the chassis settle, then pop into P and turn off the car. My driveway is steep and I notice that if you don't do this (and go straight to P) the gearbox and diff get stressed as the car rolls back.

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
Never ever! I am a Swiss Guy and nearly everybody here drives manual cars. With a manual you always have to use the 1st gear, if parking on a hill backwards the reverse! It's to avoid the car from rolling away.

On an incline you must use the handbreak, too - for a second safety. For normal parking it's not necessary but a lot of people do...
When I'm driving the RX8, I always park it in 1st gear with the handbrake on. I learned to never, ever park anything with a manual transmission in neutral when I was a more avid motorcycle rider. I've seen how a motorcycle can roll around when it's left in neutral.

In an automatic, put it in park, and use the handbrake. But, if you forget to use the handbrake, the world won't end.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have always used the handbrake in all cars, both manual and auto, when parked. Surprised to hear people don't use it in autos

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input! So far, no stories about handbrakes getting stuck because it's only used once in a while. Must be an urban legend :tongue:

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
Thanks for the input! So far, no stories about handbrakes getting stuck because it's only used once in a while. Must be an urban legend :tongue:
Only time I seen hand brakes getting stuck is at the track, they tend to weld together if use as you get off track.

·
Registered
207 Posts
No, that's no urban legend.

But usually it's only an issue in winter when the park brakes freezes or in old cars where it does not work properly anymore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you use the handbrake regularly, it shouldn't get stuck. Now if you never use the handbrake and then use it, there's a good chance it'll get stuck.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i would use the handbrake even with park, i dont need damaged parking pin.

so best method for me: neutral, pull handbrake enough so the car wont roll, put in park. you dont have to pull the handbrake as tight as possible. that just stretches the cable. just enough so the car wont roll. any less, might as well not use the handbrake.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Handbrake then park, on incline you should turn your wheels toward the curb and handbrake it. Not using the hand brake puts stress on the trans to hold the car in its place and you don't want that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The manual says to ALWAYS set the parking hand brake, even when in P. P only locks the front wheels, and you want the back wheels locked too. It says this under warning messages all over the place. It seems like a good idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts