2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Ever bought something for your Mazda 3 that you later thought, "Man... I shouldn't have wasted my money on this..."

Well, I encourage you to state all your regrets here!

Purpose for this thread?

-Help others to not make the same mistake that you perhaps have done in the past:clap 1:
-Help others save time and money:thumbup 1:

Please state the item and why you regret buying it so that others will understand.We all have different experiences and we can all learn from one another.

I'll go first:crying:

I regret getting side rear view mirror visors. I actually never installed them because I felt it made the mirror look ever larger and bulkier. So they never went on lol.

[/url]image uploading site[/IMG]

I regretted getting the all-fit lip (I think pretty much everyone knows how it looks, so I'm not posting a pic lol). Bottom line, it isn't as flush as I'd like it to be on the Mazda 3, specifically when one starts getting into the sides of the front bumper because it starts getting round around those sections. Nevertheless, I still might put it on lol.

Last, I regret getting the front lip bumper cover. I wrapped it with satin black vinyl but... now my car feels like it has too many shades of black (front grill, the matte black around fog-lights and now this). Therefore, it's not going on for now.

Here is a pic of how I envisioned it using Photoshop (not my car/pic, just Photoshopped)

[/url]image posting[/IMG]

How about you guys? Any regrets that we can learn from?

Reactions: tanloc1985

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thankfully I haven't had any regrets on any of the things I've done to this car. I've learned from all the mistakes I've made when I was younger on my first couple cars and my taste in mods has matured :D My first car was a honda accord and I got a red H badge, hyper white bulbs all around, high wattage hyper white low beams with cheap aftermarket clear headlights which turned hazy over time, etc. I know what I shouldn't waste my money on now lol

·
Mazda Ricer
30 Posts
I bought this kit from precisionLED. Now I love the quality and added tools of this kit. But I got it in red because that's sort of the theme of my 2015 hatch... You can't see anything in the car with these on... at night... I now know I should have gotten the 8000K cool white LED because it's brighter than stock. Honestly when I feel like it and have the extra money I will buy the same kit but in white because other than the fact I bought red LEDs, this kit was very good quality and had a youtube video that was close enough to where the install took me about 5 minutes tops.

So all in all. Do not buy the kit in the Red and I will assume the Green and Blue are just as bad... otherwise I'm sure the whiter LEDs are nice.
Mazda 3 LED Interior Package (2014-Present)

Reactions: ELegend3

·
Registered
72 Posts
I purchased a set of Axela rubber mats for all the cubby holes, thinking they would protect from scratches. The set came with a piece for everything, from the door 'bottle' holders, to the little spots in the door handles. Anyway, I discovered that they seem to be reactive; the one for the front spot below the CD player leaked oil all over and I had to work hard to clean it up and it still isn't 100% clean. Needless to say, I removed them all. They weren't expensive, but I didn't expect a chemical reaction after a few months in cool conditions.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hello everyone,

Last, I regret getting the front lip bumper cover. I wrapped it with satin black vinyl but... now my car feels like it has too many shades of black (front grill, the matte black around fog-lights and now this). Therefore, it's not going on for now.

Here is a pic of how I envisioned it using Photoshop (not my car/pic, just Photoshopped)

How about you guys? Any regrets that we can learn from?
I bought that center lip for my car. I wrapped mine in D-noc CF 3M to break up that multi-black look. I feel it came out better than expected.

I regret buying the JBR short ram intake and never installing it and ordering a CS axle-back exhaust for a sedan when I have a hatch. I live in the land of aloha so shipping was let's say way more than the exhaust itself.... This is what happens when you order from your smartphone and don't double check the order before sending it in...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Geese where do i start?!
Wasted alot of money on vinyl wrap i pulled of the next day
LED fogligths that i removed again.
Floormats for RHD mazda3 (returned)
Gearknob
Caliper paint
expencise tar remover (that diden't work)
Claybar lubercation (water and soap would have done it better, and mutch cheaper)
Stickers (bad quality, and didn't look right)
Ugly wheels (before i got the Ström wheels)

so yeah.... i'm an idiot

Reactions: ElNino77

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thankfully I haven't had any regrets on any of the things I've done to this car. I've learned from all the mistakes I've made when I was younger on my first couple cars and my taste in mods has matured :D My first car was a honda accord and I got a red H badge, hyper white bulbs all around, high wattage hyper white low beams with cheap aftermarket clear headlights which turned hazy over time, etc. I know what I shouldn't waste my money on now lol
This was my first reaction.

I'm an old guy who's owned a lot of cars, and I choose quite carefully now. This isn't the kind of car into which I'd put much money, anyway - if the aftermarket part doesn't make the car more useful or efficient in a significant way, then I'm not interested.

My 2¢ is that the car is awfully darn good the way it comes.

Lighter wheels are usually my first aftermarket stop, no matter what the car. For winter, I've already bought BBS SRs w/Bridgestone WS-80 rubber (16X7 45mm offset, 205/60-16), and when the OEM rubber is done, I'll upgrade the summer combo to Enkei RPF1s w/Michelin PSS rubber (17x7½ 48mm offset, 215/45-17).

The payoff is this: Besides putting the required type of rubber on the car, the winter combo saved 8.3# per corner. The summer combo will save a whopping 14.5# per corner. Both are significant, and the latter upgrade will make a very noticeable difference in handling, while improving mileage slightly due to the 2% reduction in daily-driving, on-the-road weight. Except for the expense, it's like a free lunch! lol

-------

Upgrades so far, and in order:

BBS SR Wheels w/Bridgestone WS-80 Winter Tires - The Tire Rack - $1,229 (delivered).

Flyin' Miata Jack Adapter - flyinmiata.com - $20: https://www.flyinmiata.com/fm-jack-adapter.html

Dash Mat - covercraft.com - $36: DashMat® - Covercraft

The jack adapter is so that it's easier and safer to raise the car with my aftermarket jack (AFF Aluminum Racing Jack 2-Ton Capacity 200SS). Raising cars with pinch welds under the rockers and plastic panels under the main body is a total pain in the rear. I intend to have plates welded over all four pinch-weld jacking points and, if it won't bend the side rails, over the pinch welds in the middle of the car, too. That way I can put the jack with its normal rubber lift plate insert under the middle on one side of the car, lift the car up, put two jack stands under the plates welded under the OEM jack points on that side of the car, and then go around to the other side of the car and raise that side, too. Voilà, after two minutes of work the car is now sitting up on four jack stands! FWIW, the jack stands I use are Esco 10498s: ESCO 10498 Jack Stands Automotive Flat Top

Next purchase:

Enkei RPF1s with Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer Tires - The Tire Rack - $1,605 (mounted, Hunter Road Force balanced, and delivered).

-------

Sorry, I know I made this post one of what worked instead of what didn't work - but, well...I thought it might be of use to other members.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well my mazda3 came of with a 16" after 2 months or so I bought 18" oem which I totally regret because of it's weight. Iam currently on aftermarket 18" wheels. Loving the added look and lightness. I've also got a friend who did the same and we ended up selling the 18" oem.

Oh well just an advice for those looking to change their 16" -> 18" oem. If your particular about your Fuel ecnomy best to go aftermarket lightwheels than 18" oem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I owned a 2006 Mazda 3 for 10 years, had no regrets with the purchase, options or anything I ever bought for it.

The one thing I do regret buying...a Mazda 6 Diesel! Had this as the same time as my old 3 and only kept it 2 years before having my 3 back from my wife (after buying her a new car).

·
Registered
660 Posts
I bought one of those fitted center console arm rest covers off ebay. First off, when i got it I was sent a grey one, almost sure I ordered black. It was not very good quality material, and then i decided to dye it black myself rather than bother with shipping back, etc.

Long story short, it's in a landfill somewhere now. I really don't need a cover for my arm rest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
These things! $10 on eBay. Installed them and man I thought they looked good... 2 days later, mysteriously, gone! Did they fly off? Did someone take them? Just suddenly both. Just. Gone! Grrr!

·
Registered
266 Posts
These things! $10 on eBay. Installed them and man I thought they looked good... 2 days later, mysteriously, gone! Did they fly off? Did someone take them? Just suddenly both. Just. Gone! Grrr!
Sorry to hear you've lost these - the part looks pretty cool!

As you suggest, they may have flown off. Their design would create a fair amount of drag, and the constant pressure (at higher speeds) would certainly require that they be firmly attached to the car.

The drag is due to the fact that the oncoming air at that part of the car is mostly moving sideways, and so the outside portion of the part is being pushed against by air coming towards it from the center of the car. If you replace them with the same part, I'd check the stability of the mounting by pressing against the vertical portion of the part with my hand to see if that causes it to pop off or to otherwise come loose from the car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my mazda3 came of with a 16" after 2 months or so I bought 18" oem which I totally regret because of it's weight. Iam currently on aftermarket 18" wheels. Loving the added look and lightness. I've also got a friend who did the same and we ended up selling the 18" oem.

Oh well just an advice for those looking to change their 16" -> 18" oem. If your particular about your Fuel ecnomy best to go aftermarket lightwheels than 18" oem.
Good to know! Thanks:)

What rims and tires did you get?

Reactions: saltski

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well my mazda3 came of with a 16" after 2 months or so I bought 18" oem which I totally regret because of it's weight.
When they were new, my OEM 18" wheels and tires weighed 50.7 pounds (23.0 kg). That's very heavy. The upside of the OEMs, however, is that they are very strong.

It's worth remembering the rule about wheels:

Light – Strong – Cheap...

...since you can't have all three, choose the two you want the most and you're good to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry to hear you've lost these - the part looks pretty cool!

As you suggest, they may have flown off. Their design would create a fair amount of drag, and the constant pressure (at higher speeds) would certainly require that they be firmly attached to the car.

The drag is due to the fact that the oncoming air at that part of the car is mostly moving sideways, and so the outside portion of the part is being pushed against by air coming towards it from the center of the car. If you replace them with the same part, I'd check the stability of the mounting by pressing against the vertical portion of the part with my hand to see if that causes it to pop off or to otherwise come loose from the car.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. If I get new ones I'd probably sugru those in place, haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I've actually had those for a little over a year now (wrapped with vinyl paper to match my oem rim color... It's one of my favorite part of my car:)) and they have been holding up just fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts