2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
221 - 240 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Arathol is correct. Either way though, whether you're installing a HID kit or LED bulbs or doing a retrofit into the halogen headlight assembly, it technically makes the headlights off-road use only/ illegal for street use. Better just to stick with DOT compliant halogen bulbs that the halogen headlights are designed for to avoid any legal issues (law enforcement, insurance).

·
Registered
3 Posts
A quick question for those that have upgraded halogens to bi-xenons... My vehicle is 2017 3 sGT HB, came with LED fogs and halogen lo/hi beams. I retrofited the Morimoto TLR projectors, installed XB35 ballasts (with the wiring harness) and used hi beam splitters to keep current halogen hi beams but also use the xenon high beams. Went with OSRAM 66240 CBI D2S bulbs, which look amazing in the TLR-4 projectors - thanks to TRS for their products and help.

My issue now is the fog lights won't work. Wiring seems OK, the fog fuse unde the hood (15A) is fine. I can't figure out why, hopiong anyone here has run into this and has suggestions. Would the high beam split cause an issue with fogs (I think fogs turn off when high beam active?).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A quick question for those that have upgraded halogens to bi-xenons... My vehicle is 2017 3 sGT HB, came with LED fogs and halogen lo/hi beams. I retrofited the Morimoto TLR projectors, installed XB35 ballasts (with the wiring harness) and used hi beam splitters to keep current halogen hi beams but also use the xenon high beams. Went with OSRAM 66240 CBI D2S bulbs, which look amazing in the TLR-4 projectors - thanks to TRS for their products and help.

My issue now is the fog lights won't work. Wiring seems OK, the fog fuse unde the hood (15A) is fine. I can't figure out why, hopiong anyone here has run into this and has suggestions. Would the high beam split cause an issue with fogs (I think fogs turn off when high beam active?).

Thanks in advance.
To my knowledge the two should be unrelated

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,881 Posts
Okay... that was a lot of reading. Why the F did Mazda not install LED DRLs and why did they make the DRL the same as the hi beams bulb.... argh!

So, H11b cool white LED bulbs for the low beams, high beams and fogs and just say screw it to seeing long distances in the dark with my high beams.... super. At least my DRLs will look better.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts
Okay... that was a lot of reading. Why the F did Mazda not install LED DRLs and why did they make the DRL the same as the hi beams bulb.... argh!

So, H11b cool white LED bulbs for the low beams, high beams and fogs and just say screw it to seeing long distances in the dark with my high beams.... super. At least my DRLs will look better.
CK
No, you need get the right 9005 LEDs with the correct harness adapter to make the high beams and DRLs both work as intended. The DRLs won't work at all without the harness adapter if you use LED bulbs.

6000k xenon white LEDs, 4000 lumens

The correct 9005 bulb will look like the one on the left in this picture. The LED emitters are at the same height as the filament in the halogen bulb in the center, so it will generate a proper pattern when used in the reflector housing. The LED bulb on the right is a lot lower and does not focus at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,881 Posts
Thanks Arathol. I just pulled the trigger and bought the ones you linked to. 2 Sets for the hi and lo beams and the adapter kit.

I'll buy the fog lights at a later date, as I hardly ever use them.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,881 Posts
The LEDs arrived super fast and are already installed.

I had a hard time getting them to sit in the light mount correctly, but after wiggling them around for a while I was able to get them properly inserted. There really isn't a lot of room for placing your hand in there. I had to do the lo beams blind

DRLs look a ton better with the clean white light and I'm able to see much better at night now.

It was definitely worth the cost.
Thanks again.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts
The LEDs arrived super fast and are already installed.

I had a hard time getting them to sit in the light mount correctly, but after wiggling them around for a while I was able to get them properly inserted. There really isn't a lot of room for placing your hand in there. I had to do the lo beams blind

DRLs look a ton better with the clean white light and I'm able to see much better at night now.

It was definitely worth the cost.
Thanks again.
CK
LOL you do know that its a lot easier to do if you pull down the fender liner? It only takes a couple minutes to pop out the fasteners and move it. :laugh2:

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,881 Posts
Yes, I know about the 5 fasteners located in wheel well.

I was going to do that for the driver side lo beams, but decided to remove the air filter from my cold air intake instead. That made the driver side lights as accessible as the passenger side ones.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,881 Posts
I went back to work on the lights again last night, just to make sure they were sitting in the mount correctly.

I went in through the wheel well on both sides this time, and it was a lot easier to do it that way. I was also able to visually confirm that they were mounted correctly too.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts
For those who have used LEDs in the halogen projectors, any thoughts on these?

They have a decent amount of positive reviews and it looks like you can swivel the bulb so maximize the focused light from the LEDs, which aren't 360 degrees.
Same design as the bulbs above. The Philips Luxeon is a better quality bulb though.

The 9005 for the high beams will match the morimoto?
Match how? What Morimoto?

221 - 240 of 276 Posts