2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to post pictures of your aftermarket lights: HIDs, halogen, retrofitted projectors, etc.

Don't forget to state the brand, specifications, cost, and overall review.

I'll go first!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM

Specifications: 5000K / 35Watt

Cost: $150 - 20% memorial sale discount = $120 per pair

Review: A lot brighter than stock (about 2x as bright). I can kind of tell when my fog lights are on now (before I couldn't even tell if they were on or not). Looks a lot cleaner than yellow OEM color. Lights flicker VERY slightly (you can only tell when you are about 15-20 feet away from a solid white wall). Plug and play. No relay/harness required (although a harness would probably stop the slight flickering). The bulb with the black scratch in it doesn't light up as bright as the others since the cutoff on a wall is only about 85% as bright as the others (I'm considering buying a backup set of bulbs and returning the one with the black scratch in it). Overall I'm happy. Took me 2.5 hours to install by myself by turning the wheel to one side and going through the side fenders. I also changed out the turn signals to 5000K LEDs ^^

Note: Please do not flame me for putting HIDs in halogen projects and reflector fog lights. My friend and I took both of our cars and drove past each other multiple times and the brightness does not bother me at all. I do not need to squint at all!

One bulb came with a black etching that I couldn't scratch off :(

LEFT = OEM
RIGHT = 5000K

LEFT = 5000K
RIGHT = OEM

BOTH = 5000K

Daytime shot of 5000K

·
Registered
79 Posts
looks nice! What type of bulb is that? H11? I've read elsewhere that the DRL are 9005/H3B? just to clarify before I make a purchase.

·
Registered
383 Posts
First off, WTF? I placed my order over labor day and i even asked before if they were running any specials and they said no. Also, i'll have to take a look at my kit tonight and see if either of my bulbs are messed up. I haven't installed mine yet. There is a thread on here that i guy posted in about his install and where to hid the wiring harness. You seriously don't see any of the pieces from the top of the motor

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sweet thread! I'm planning on doing some retrofitting sometime this summer.

I do have a question for those with some headlight knowledge. I have a iGT, but looking at the headlamps, it looks like halogen bulbs that are connected to projectors. Is this correct? In theory all I'd have to do is remove the halogen bulbs, retrofit ballasts and put in new bulbs? Or do I need to add projectors as well?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sweet thread! I'm planning on doing some retrofitting sometime this summer.

I do have a question for those with some headlight knowledge. I have a iGT, but looking at the headlamps, it looks like halogen bulbs that are connected to projectors. Is this correct? In theory all I'd have to do is remove the halogen bulbs, retrofit ballasts and put in new bulbs? Or do I need to add projectors as well?
I also have the iGT and I installed the Morimoto Elite HID retrofit kit. I went with the H11 XB35 bulbs and the 3 five DSP ballasts. Great improvement! You DO NOT have to do any mods to the exsisting headlights. The iGT has very good projectors and will accept the HID bulbs. I also didn't have to re-aim the lights. They have a good destinct cut off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Perfect! I'll be doing this in the next couple of months then. I really want to add a halo as well so I may pick those up for my DRLs too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks nice! What type of bulb is that? H11? I've read elsewhere that the DRL are 9005/H3B? just to clarify before I make a purchase.
You are correct. Low beams and fog lights are H11.

The DRL for i models are 9005/H3B. However, you should know that LED DRLs require a resistor for it to work. I got my resistors from iJDMTOY.com. And I got my 9005 LED DRL from VLEDS.com. I still need to go to the hardware store to pickup screws and bolts in order to mount the resistor properly. I'll post pics of my 5000K LED DRL and probably a how-to when I install them sometime this month.

·
OMGWTFBBQSAUCE
103 Posts
Canadian GS

I just installed a set of Volts 4300k. A little too warm for my taste thought. I should've went with 5000k's.

Anyone else have a canadian GS model and installed some HID's?. I have some light spilling above the cut off line which I'm assuming are squirrel spotters of some sort? Sadly, it looks like I'll have to retrofit some proper projectors. :no:

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Specifications: 5000K / 35Watt

Cost: $150 - 20% memorial sale discount = $120 per pair
So you spent $120 after the discount and didn't even get a relay harness? You got ripped my friend. TRS sells their Elite kits for the same price($150 regular price) and you would have gotten everything you need, quality bulbs, quality ballasts, and the best relay harness on the market.

Just to clarify something for you guys, a relay harness isn't required for them to actually "work", but it is ALWAYS recommended. It provides stable voltage to the ballasts as well as safeguards the stock harness and headlight switch from the 24,000v arc at startup.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I also have the iGT and I installed the Morimoto Elite HID retrofit kit. I went with the H11 XB35 bulbs and the 3 five DSP ballasts. Great improvement! You DO NOT have to do any mods to the exsisting headlights. The iGT has very good projectors and will accept the HID bulbs. I also didn't have to re-aim the lights. They have a good destinct cut off.
The stock Koito halogen projectors are "okay", but I wouldn't call them "very good" by any means. The 3" Stanley projectors that the First Gens got are "very good" projectors for being halogen. The Koitos with a few mods(clear lens, blocked squirrel finders) are improved slightly but they still don't perform anywhere near true xenon projectors.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just installed a set of Volts 4300k. A little too warm for my taste thought. I should've went with 5000k's.

Anyone else have a canadian GS model and installed some HID's?. I have some light spilling above the cut off line which I'm assuming are squirrel spotters of some sort? Sadly, it looks like I'll have to retrofit some proper projectors. :no:
You are correct, the light bleed off is from the squirrel finders. This is usually the only source of glare from halogen projectors because the finders are bigger than they are in xenon projectors so it allows a bit too much light above the cutoff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you spent $120 after the discount and didn't even get a relay harness? You got ripped my friend. TRS sells their Elite kits for the same price($150 regular price) and you would have gotten everything you need, quality bulbs, quality ballasts, and the best relay harness on the market.

Just to clarify something for you guys, a relay harness isn't required for them to actually "work", but it is ALWAYS recommended. It provides stable voltage to the ballasts as well as safeguards the stock harness and headlight switch from the 24,000v arc at startup.
I was not aware of that kit from TRS. How do you install the relay harness?

I always make sure to run my engine for a minute before I turn on my HIDs.

·
OMGWTFBBQSAUCE
103 Posts
You are correct, the light bleed off is from the squirrel finders. This is usually the only source of glare from halogen projectors because the finders are bigger than they are in xenon projectors so it allows a bit too much light above the cutoff.
Would you happen to know how to block the stock squirrel finders without having to open up the headlights?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The stock Koito halogen projectors are "okay", but I wouldn't call them "very good" by any means. The 3" Stanley projectors that the First Gens got are "very good" projectors for being halogen. The Koitos with a few mods(clear lens, blocked squirrel finders) are improved slightly but they still don't perform anywhere near true xenon projectors.
I'm already taking the headlight apart to put in some halos, so I may as well swap the projectors as well. Thanks for the info.

For the S series models, is there a DRL and a Halo? The next time I'm at the dealership (900 miles until a tuneup) I'm going to take a very close inspection of of a sG or sGT.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So I know next to nothing about HID lights other than what I've read in the past week. I thought I was going to get new headlights themselves, then realized all I needed was a retrofit.

So for those who either have retrofitted a car or are considering it, did you prefer then H1 or the D2S if you when through The Retrofit Source? I've been trying to find a good pros/cons light (mainly it's personal preference), but I'd love to know what you think if you've put them on your Mazda yet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So I know next to nothing about HID lights other than what I've read in the past week. I thought I was going to get new headlights themselves, then realized all I needed was a retrofit.

So for those who either have retrofitted a car or are considering it, did you prefer then H1 or the D2S if you when through The Retrofit Source? I've been trying to find a good pros/cons light (mainly it's personal preference), but I'd love to know what you think if you've put them on your Mazda yet.
d2s you can use OEM bulbs (phillips, osram cbis/svs)

if you are retrofitting you also have a much better selection of oem projectors that take d2s bulbs.
i have S2k projectors in my mazda with cbi bulbs. shit is unbelievable

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was not aware of that kit from TRS. How do you install the relay harness?

I always make sure to run my engine for a minute before I turn on my HIDs.
You simply connect your power supply at the battery, connect your grounds(one on each side) to an unpainted metal surface, plug in your relay trigger wire at the stock headlight connector on the drivers side, and plug the remaining two connectors into the ballasts. Easy. The hardest part is just routing everything to keep it clean. Running the car before turning them on makes no difference.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Would you happen to know how to block the stock squirrel finders without having to open up the headlights?
You can't block the squirrel finders or do any modifications to the inside of the headlight without opening them up.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Do you currently have the halogen lights or the OEM bixenon lights?

When it comes to the H1 and D2S 2.0 projector, the pros and cons of each make them close to even. The H1 performs better but is limited to aftermarket bulbs. The D2S can utilize OEM bulbs which is best and helps output but still trails slightly behind the H1. D2S 3.0 on the other hand is much better than either of those BUT it has a 3" lens, which means trimming of the original shroud would be necessary. OEM projectors are a great option, but like most, will require some fabrication to get them to bolt in.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts