2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few guys did the Curt install on here which was great. This is not a DIY clearly.
Now that DrawTite and Hidden Hitch are available (Which in my approximation is the same)
I wanted to try something different for the sake of the community.

STEP 1:
Took the car to meat grinder to prepare

STEP 2:
Drive to Turbowskis because I am not going to lay on my back in the garage

TWO JUNKERS SIDE BY SIDE, ONE A MARVEL OF AMERICAN ENGINEERING

STEP 3:
Car In Air

STEP 4:
Fight with 4 Exhaust Rubber hangers and drop exhaust onto trans stand

STEP 5:
Fish bolts and brackets through frame with anti-seize as they will all rot out attach bolts and nuts underneath and on side

STEP 6:
Torque bolts, attach rubber hangers and just look at it

STEP 7:
Attach Thule Vertex 2

This thing is one of the easiest to install and use. And in upright position with Bike attached hatch opens with Hidden Hitch

CONCLUSION

Hidden Hitch my assss! If I cared about looks I would hate this. But this car is all utility for me.

• It was 30$ more than the Curt for no real reason.
  • Zero fitment issues, 30 minutes to install on lift, on ground probably an hour.
  • Looks like crap
  • Works for my Thule Vertex 2 which is top notch
  • Finish is average

Can't wait to tow boats and 50,000 pound RVs.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The Curt hitch connects with two bolts per side rather than one. I did it myself with the rear of the car raised on the garage floor. I looked at the specs of the Hidden Hitch and thought the Curt was stronger and better made. The attachment is certainly stronger. I removed all of the decals in the process. It looks just as ugly but works great. Make sure you don't pull too much weight as the brakes are not capable of stopping the car properly with more than about a 1200 pound load. I know a class 1 hitch carries up to 2,000 pounds, but for safety reasons, don't do it. And just know that if you get in a car accident (assuming you are in the U.S.), your car insurance may not cover it as towing is not recommended by Mazda in the U.S. manual.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I really love the OEM Mazda hitch. It truly is hidden, but as with several things, it's not available to us in North American.:argh 1:

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Curt hitch connects with two bolts per side rather than one. I did it myself with the rear of the car raised on the garage floor. I looked at the specs of the Hidden Hitch and thought the Curt was stronger and better made. The attachment is certainly stronger. I removed all of the decals in the process. It looks just as ugly but works great. Make sure you don't pull too much weight as the brakes are not capable of stopping the car properly with more than about a 1200 pound load. I know a class 1 hitch carries up to 2,000 pounds, but for safety reasons, don't do it. And just know that if you get in a car accident (assuming you are in the U.S.), your car insurance may not cover it as towing is not recommended by Mazda in the U.S. manual.
This!

If you occasionally (and I don't recommend too much as you'll slowly screw your transmission) want to tow something heaver, you should install a cable harness and get a trailer with it's own brakes. What that entails I don't know, but like Rvoll said, check with the insurance company to see if they cover it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just curious your preference for hitch vs. a roof rack. I'm still debating between the two my bikes are eagerly awaiting my decision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This!

If you occasionally (and I don't recommend too much as you'll slowly screw your transmission) want to tow something heaver, you should install a cable harness and get a trailer with it's own brakes. What that entails I don't know, but like Rvoll said, check with the insurance company to see if they cover it.

This is for Bikes only, nothing else was being sarcastic.
This hitch like the Curt has two mounting screws on each side as you can see in pictures.
I don't see this frame or hitch towing anything larger than a small flat two wheel carrier which is a stretch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious your preference for hitch vs. a roof rack. I'm still debating between the two my bikes are eagerly awaiting my decision.
I had a roof rack on another car, and trunk mount.
The way I look at this is, when you want to bike or go on trips the last think you want to do is fight with trying to get your bike on and off the car.

The hitch allows for quick connect of bike rack when you need it. In the case of the Thule rack, takes 1 minute to connect it to hitch and roughly another minute to put bike on and strap it down.

Most importantly even a girl can lift the bike the required 2 feet off the ground to use the rack on the hitch. So the ease of use and being able to access the hatch makes this a no brainier.

A roof rack not only kills aero, but really makes the car look like a wagon. And try and lift a bike on and off this car with one person using a roof rack in under a minute.

Bottom line if I get a bug in my ass to ride my bike and go somewhere, I don't want to spend 20 minutes wrangling the bike(s). This setup solves that issue.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
This is for Bikes only, nothing else was being sarcastic.
This hitch like the Curt has two mounting screws on each side as you can see in pictures.
I don't see this frame or hitch towing anything larger than a small flat two wheel carrier which is a stretch.
Thanks. I never really saw the second bolt which is why I purchased the Curt hitch in the first place. The second bolt on the Curt hitch is located on the bottom in front of the muffler hangar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts