503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

Reactions: ZoomZoom3GT

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I wonder if it will have the Skyactive X engine that they have talking about.

As long as it doesn't get a turbo, I'll be fine with my 2018. :)
CK

Reactions: mazda318gt

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True. Would most likely have the X engine. I'm guessing the teaser photo is the actual Kai Concept and not production, but I'm not sure. Looking forward to 3:30...haha

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
Did it finally get released yet? I'm still waiting.. is it the new 3? The sky-x engine? The 2.5T moving to select trims of the 3? Android auto?

..The anticipation is lowkey killing me..

:scared005:

·
Registered
900 Posts
oh 3:30pm eastern is lunch time for me. so i guess i will have to find a place with good cell service and watch this.
also a new 3 hatch with AWD would be pretty fun.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
New SkyActiv-X engine has a compressor on it. So it's like a supercharger but it doesn't run all the time.
Sort of, but not really. Mazda doesn't call it a supercharger either. Its purpose is to maintain pressure in the intake plenum (improve throttle response) and help eliminate turbo lag. It doesn't provide any power increases from forced induction however.

·
Registered
348 Posts
New SkyActiv-X engine has a compressor on it. So it's like a supercharger but it doesn't run all the time.
Sort of, but not really. Mazda doesn't call it a supercharger either. Its purpose is to maintain pressure in the intake plenum (improve throttle response) and help eliminate turbo lag. It doesn't provide any power increases from forced induction however.
It's a lean supercharger. What turbo lag? There isn't one in the new engine

·
Registered
988 Posts
Since the new Mazda 6 didn't get it AWD then I highly doubt the new "3" on a new platform will get this instead. Also AWD is an option which is pretty much non-existent on vehicles on this segment, for example cars such as the regular Golf, the new Corolla Hatchback, the new Kia Seed, or the Hyundai Elantra, etc... The only car that I think of having AWD is the Subaru Impreza, but Subaru uses their AWD as a brand identity and strategy, and this works amazingly for them. As we know FWD is cheaper to produce than AWD, and FWD cars are lighter as well, so I don't think Mazda as a small company wants to sell a slightly heavier car and a more expensive car to produce than the outgoing generation.

Truth be told, I'll be a happy camper if the new "3" offers a 2.5L or 2.0L turbo engine! Even happier if these engines make it to the European market. But as per all the information from car journalists reviews about the SKYACTIV-X they never mentioned or heard if this would be an option. So I highly doubt as well that a turbo engine will be available, so I'm gonna stay with low expectations on this one as well.

IMO Mazda's focus for the next Gen "3" will be as we know on better fuel economy and design. Performance won't be their main priority but there will be a slight increase on this area thanks to the new SKYACTIV-X. So I expect an evolutionary step rather than a revolutionary one, such as better interior, more features as standard, better handling and comfort, nothing more. Hopefully the "Digital Cluster" rumor is indeed true as some have read already:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...azda3-is-getting-a-digital-gauge-cluster.html

I definitely expect that the new 3 will be better that this current generation, except for the suspension rumors going around, which might be a deal breaker for many...

*But if Mazda can surprise us all today, then please bring the long awaited MazdaSpeed 3 as a surprise reveal, with AWD and a Turbo 250-300HP!!! Make it happen Mazda! At least as a concept! (Yeah...totally not happening lol)

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
It's a lean supercharger. What turbo lag? There isn't one in the new engine
Not yet.....:smile2:
However, the air pump will still function to keep the intake plenum filled at all times with air at ambient pressure on non FI gas engines. The compressor on the SA-X also functions to control fuel / air mix for optimum burn in the SPCCI engine.

·
Registered
900 Posts
also here is something I have not read before. Taken directly off a Mazda website.

Huntsville, Alabama, U.S.A. (March 8, 2018) / Hiroshima and Toyota-city, Japan (March 9, 2018) - Mazda Motor Corporation and Toyota Motor Corporation have established their new joint-venture company “Mazda Toyota Manufacturing, U.S.A., Inc.” (MTMUS) that will produce vehicles in Huntsville, Alabama starting in 2021.

The new plant will have the capacity to produce 150,000 units of Mazda's crossover model that will be newly introduced to the North American market and 150,000 units of the Toyota Corolla. The facility is expected to create up to 4,000 jobs. Toyota and Mazda are investing $1.6 billion towards this project with equal funding contributions.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
A speed 3 reveal would be AWESOME!!! There's no way they could have kept that from leaking out though.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
also here is something I have not read before. Taken directly off a Mazda website.

Huntsville, Alabama, U.S.A. (March 8, 2018) / Hiroshima and Toyota-city, Japan (March 9, 2018) - Mazda Motor Corporation and Toyota Motor Corporation have established their new joint-venture company “Mazda Toyota Manufacturing, U.S.A., Inc.” (MTMUS) that will produce vehicles in Huntsville, Alabama starting in 2021.

The new plant will have the capacity to produce 150,000 units of Mazda's crossover model that will be newly introduced to the North American market and 150,000 units of the Toyota Corolla. The facility is expected to create up to 4,000 jobs. Toyota and Mazda are investing $1.6 billion towards this project with equal funding contributions.
Yes, there has been talk of a new mid size SUV of some sort. Possibly the CX-8 that is set to be introduced in the fall of 2018 in some Asian markets as well?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes, there has been talk of a new mid size SUV of some sort. Possibly the CX-8 that is set to be introduced in the fall of 2018 in some Asian markets as well?
The CX-8 is already marketed in Japan. (same as our CX-9)

There was talk about them bringing back the 6 wagon, or maybe they will be finally giving us the CX-5 Diesel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm sure we in the US won't receive an AWD manual turbo car but the JDM Axela is sold currently with an AWD option. Watching (listening to the hold music) the press video waiting on details now!

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
A speed 3 reveal would be AWESOME!!! There's no way they could have kept that from leaking out though.
CK
Well, sure they could have kept a secret like that. If its an SA-X powered car, with all the hype and releases about that engine they well could have done a skunk-works program piggy-backed right along side and nobody would suspect. Sleight of hand and misdirection and all that....Keep looking at this shiny thing, ignore the car behind the curtain.....:laugh2:
Mazda could have been testing a turbo engine all along and no one would have known.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts