2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
The group more likely for the future and nothing we'll see in the short term

Ford and just recently Subaru have Carplay/Android Auto. Toyota is the biggest holdout and also the worlds biggest car manufacturer but they takes things slow. Mazda on the other hand probably looses quite a few sales to Honda and the Koreans for not having it, they would be stupid to ignore it.

Everytime I speak to the dealer and mention it, they confirm it being a common complaint with customers.

I'm just assuming they haven't been able to integrate it successfully into their infotainment system yet and we will probably see it 2018-2019 in their newer models like the new 3. There was an interview last year with a mazda engineer and they said they were working on it but were having issues. No idea if it will come to current models, I wouldn't count on it, but you never know.

·
Registered
468 Posts
what issues can they have that it'll take them years to come up with a solution?
months..sure..but not years.
the CMU seems like a pretty good system and even Hyundai has carplay..come on Mazda.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what issues can they have that it'll take them years to come up with a solution?
the CMU seems like a pretty good system and even Hyundai has carplay..come on Mazda.
Probably the commander control knob and buttons, volume knob, steering wheel controls, back up camera switching and working with the existing code which probably wasn't design to integrate nicely with AA and Carplay. Having all those systems and buttons work with each other and re-writing parts of the software (which switched hands) is not easy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Other cars that have knob controls, steering wheels controls, and backup cameras have been using CarPlay almost since it launched. It isn't an enigma, they just need to dedicate resources to it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Short answer... Johnson Controls facing huge trouble and they start to hire new engineering team ( reason their product had hardware fault. no firmware or application can handle this fault

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received an email last last night from Mazda about the MZD connect system. They are currently conducting a survey which allows Mazda 3 owners to voice their opinion on the system.

The survey was fairly comprehensive and asked many questions regarding Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I can definitely agree with what has been said so far in this thread.

Mazda cannot ignore Android Auto and Apple Carplay - from one of the questions that was asked in the survey they are concerned about safety as these systems both require the touchscreen to be enabled while the vehicle is in motion. They even asked if they should enable it! It seems they are aware that people are suffering trying to get connected services to work because the wifi on the MZD connect is awful.

In regards to Mazda joining the SmartDeviceLink Consortium. I don't think this is a bad thing, it just means they will aim to offer more connected applications to us so we don't have to use solely Google or Apple apps.

Mazda are aware that something needs to change, i seriously hope they get a move on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ford offers CarPlay on every 2017 MY vehicle. Don't see how this means anything. CarPlay is already available on the Mazda 6 in China

·
Registered
18 Posts
from one of the questions that was asked in the survey they are concerned about safety as these systems both require the touchscreen to be enabled while the vehicle is in motion.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just "Mazda" thing and other manufacturers normally allow using the screen? I'm pretty sure they do. This just sounds like some bulshit from Mazda, or some exec out of touch with reality. Enabling toushscreen was the first and only tweak I have applied. And I'll argue that it takes less time to touch some things on the screen then use the physical buttons at times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I definitely agree with you. They should give us the choice whether to use the screen or buttons. Someone is probably obsessed with safety high up in the company!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts