2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
a) try another usb stick
b) did you put a zip file to the stick? thats not working.

Install latest AIO (e.g. 2.8.1) on your computer, choose top left burger menu, hit uninstall all, compile, copy to fat32 usb stick (root, not in some sub-folder), stick it in the car, start acc or engine, wait paitently and follow instructions on the screen.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
1. You want to do a firmware (FW) update?
2. Is the USB stick formatted FAT32 at a windows system? It should.
3. Which FW version exactly is currently at the MZD installed?
4. Which FW version exactly do you want to install?
5. Have you checked the hash sums of the file at the usb stick with the hash sums it should have? See hidrive server for the hash sums.
6. Is the usb stick recognized at all, when plugged into the car? Means showing up in top row for a short moment? Otherwise see bullet 2 or use another usb stick, as some are not recognized by the MZD.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
If you use a region version which is not for your region, some things might not work. I would not recommend it.

And there is no FW 59.00.564 - for no region - just as info. And .546 NA I would not recommend, as there was deleted a setting for the rear camera due to legal reasons only - so .545 NA was better - from users perspective.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
To get to know your current MZD firmware (FW) version go to MZD settings -> tab system -> about -> version (or something alike).

If the current software version is older than 55.00.650, update first to 70.00.100 (Downloadlink), then update to the latest version 70.00.352 (Downloadlink). If the current version is 55.00.650 or higher, you can update directly to 70.00.352.

Here you can download the latest FW for North America region (70.00.352 NA) and a PDF with the installation instruction. Stick to the word to it and read it before starting the update. All on your own risk. You could brick your CMU (new approx. 1000 USD). Mazda does not intend users to do FW updates. The PDF shows the instructions for their dealers. Good luck & fingers crossed, that your issues will be solved with the new FW :)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I took the first step and installed AIO. [...] Ever since the installation, the entire infotainment system seems really dull witted. Everything is much slower to load as well as to respond to user inputs. Any ideas? I did not change the firmware version or upgraded Gracenote. [...]
I guess that the only way to make the firmware faster is to update it to at least to the latest FW 59 for your region (install ID7/Autorun tweak from AIO before updating).

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Correct, that`s what I know (perhaps there are more/other solutions): ID7 first, followed by the firmware update, and then install the individual tweaks.

If it is possible to install ID7 and other tweaks at once, that would be nice. I never tried it - might be possible. But this only makes sense, if you do not update your FW at this session. As far as I know most tweaks are deleted at a FW update. So before planning/doing a FW update, there is no need to install the other tweaks.

I always updated FW first and then updated Gracenote separately, if a newer Gracenote version was available than provided by the FW. Sometimes a FW update also includes a Gracenote update. I would do the FW update first, then check the Gracenote version and then decide if an update is necessary. I do not know, which FW includes which Gracenote-version.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The difference in your files/folders/screenshots is:
  • ID7 from AIO (use up to/including 70.00.100) from Serial Connection (your second screenshot, folders start with 00 and 01)
  • ID7v2 via serial method only - from ID7 Recovery v2 - only recommended for FW 70.00.335 and above. (your first screenshot, folders start with 02 and 44)

These files need to be at the usb stick for doing the ID7 thing. If you want to install tweaks after installing the ID7, you could delete all files from the usb stick before or format it.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Your highlight in AIO screenshot is the way to the ID7/Autorun-Tweak. Click that and then on the top compile to compile the id7 tweak to an usb stick. I would recommend to first do this (ID7) and after doing this, delete all files from the usb stick or take another one and then compile all other tweaks. As you have FW 55 and want to update to FW 59, you are fine with the ID7 from AIO.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yes, the infotainment hack (AIO Tweaks from www.mazdatweaks.com) work with this car & FW 56. The infotainment systems are the same for many models.

At your FW you can install AIO Tweaks via USB directly. From FW 59.00.502 onwards, the installation via USB is blocked. Autorun and (ID7) Recovery enable you to do a FW Update as far as up to FW 70.00.100 and still being able to install AIO Tweaks via USB after the FW update. If you do not install the Autorun and (ID7) Recovery, the installation of AIO Tweaks via USB will not be able after a potential future FW update. For AIO Android Auto (AA) 1.13 or the user project "AA True_go 1.14" (see so called own thread for more info) it is recommended to update max. to FW 59.00.502.

No, you can not do a backup of your FW version.
Yes, there is the possibility to brick the CMU. All on your own risk. There are different brick versions that can happen - not for all is an easy solution available.

Your so called "custom firmware" is called "tweaks". You copy the install files for the tweaks to a FAT32 formatted USB Stick and put it in the car. ACC, Igniton or engine on and wait for the pop up in the MZD.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yes, AIO Tweaks can be installed via USB at your 56.00.240 4A N MZD firmware. Check "copy backup" in the install options in AIO. This should copy backups of the original files, which will be modified by AIO. But there is no such thing as a backup of your whole MZD firmware, that can be created (like you might have it at your PC/Mac).

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
No, firmware update is not required.

Most probably its the usb stick. Check if the usb drive is recognized at all directly after inserting it in the usb slot of the car - the MZD top row should display that it recognized the usb stick (or does not show anything, if it does not).
If it does not recognize the usb stick, check if the stick is formatted FAT32 (it has to be) or try other usb sticks (some work, some does not).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts