2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theme Support
Great news! Theme support is now up and running. I've created this 'sub thread' to keep development separated from the main thread. This will keep everything nice and clear.

Please keep it as much on-topic as possible

For developers only
Currently the theme support I've written is for developers only. There are no themes yet that use this incursion into the system.

Developers can collaborate and start making their own themes by reading the read me on this github page:

https://github.com/FricoRico/MZDThemeSupport

Mazda Ninja's are around everywhere, so I will not share ANY code from Mazda. This should keep everyone happy, and work within our legal rights. Sorry for the minimal code support explanation, but it should get developers started.

For everyone
So I hear you wonder, 'What does this code do?'. Basically it enables theme developers to create themes universally and easily without having to edit the main system files. Meaning that the code is easy to install and remove.

It 'should' also enable us to keep everything working when new versions of Mazda's system arrives. Notice the 'should'. It can happen that themes are temporarily broken if a very big update is released. But chances are very slim as it uses as little system code as possible.

Please be patient for developers to create themes with this, I hope it makes some of us happy and get's us started on understanding the system better. It took me ages to work through the code and see how everything fits together.

Enjoy! Let's get this party started! :D

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Another pro is that you have complete control over any screen in the system. It doesn't just edit the images, you can add more elements, replace elements, remove elements etc.

The downside is that it might take a little more time to get simple theme changes up and running.

But the best thing about this is that everything is grouped together in one clear folder. This makes removal of the theme very easy for newbies.

The danger with scripts like the one @klathmon made, is that it is very difficult to undo. It all depends on the developers, having to make uninstall files.

Right now I'm working on a insertion into the settings screen, allowing theme developers to add custom theme settings. So much fun! I'm also planning on adding multiple file support, to make it easier to split your theme up in multiple javascript files.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I made a backup of the default images before running klathmon's script so when I need to revert to stock images, I can just point the script at the backup folder and it should overwrite everything properly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right, if you make a backup your safe. You could always re-flash the entire system if you have the files lying round. I do not mean to speak negative about @klathmon and @mrnerdbanger

Personally I feel like changing A LOT of things around in the system. I'm working on a more touch friendly system, which means I need to change a lot of scripts in the system. I will share this theme later. Expect a whole different system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
lol no worries on my end. i initially made the theme for myself. more power to you if you can write your own script. i already made my own icons for almost all of the files using vectors. i'm not a fan of the way mazda puts the metal theme on everything so mine is looking a lot more flat now. kinda like a website. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
lol no worries on my end. i initially made the theme for myself. more power to you if you can write your own script. i already made my own icons for almost all of the files using vectors. i'm not a fan of the way mazda puts the metal theme on everything so mine is looking a lot more flat now. kinda like a website. ;)
All I'm seeing is a blank screen with the debug section. Can anyone help me get my virtual interface running? I wasn't able to download the files from the Google Drive link. So I just copied the gui folder from the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm curious on how that looks right now. I'm working on a complete rewrite of the system. Will show a screen-capture soon.

All I'm seeing is a blank screen with the debug section. Can anyone help me get my virtual interface running? I wasn't able to download the files from the Google Drive link. So I just copied the gui folder from the car.
That's right, you are probably missing multiple files that are needed for the local server. I copied the files from my gui folder as well, then I followed the guide to get it working on my computer.

Basically I created a simple to start local server that has the same software versions as the navigation system does. I received multiple requests for the files through a PM. Right now I'm working on a write up on how to use them. I will have it done by tomorrow and share the files and guide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts