2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda3 Premium AWD hatchback Polymetal/red
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The future of "small car" sales is reflective in the Mazda sales results for January of this year:

·
Registered
286 Posts
BTW: It looks like the CX-30 is cannibalizing sales from the Mazda 3, so a lifted plasticized and slightly modded Mazda 3 is selling robustly, I guess that is a good call on Mazda's part.

Right now we are in another golden age of 'gas guzzlers', though this time all manufacturers are doubling down on building big, and they are selling well. Most Asian manufacturers are keeping a toe in the small vehicle market, mainly because overseas the number of small car sales is still robust, almost proportional to the cost of fuel there.

You don't need a great memory to figure out when, during a time not that long ago, Japanese cars began taking market share from American cars. It happened the last time there was an oil crisis, when gasoline prices rose dramatically and there was fear of supply shortages.

At some point in the future there will be a dramatic change in preference, likely driven by increasing fuel prices, and smaller more fuel efficient vehicles will regain their attraction to the masses (even here in the states? The last time it gave Mazda, Toyota, Datsun and Honda a toehold here and damaged our domestic car manufacturers).

Right now most manufacturers are following the lead of Detroit in the 1970's and building bigger and more powerful cars while fighting future fuel efficiency mandates. While cars, trucks and SUV's are getting more efficient, they aren't nearly as efficient as our smaller Mazda 3's or the Tesla model 3. What goes around comes around, at least if you believe in history and follow the markets over a few decade time period.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I still find it remarkable that people are OK with vehicles that are horrible on gas just because fuel prices are relatively low now. I don't want to spend a ton of gas, just because it's cheaper...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I still find it remarkable that people are OK with vehicles that are horrible on gas just because fuel prices are relatively low now. I don't want to spend a ton of gas, just because it's cheaper...
"Relatively low"
Looks at Vancouver gas prices
"Ah yes $1.40/L, the prices have come down from $1.70"
Cries in fossil fuel

·
Registered
139 Posts
"Relatively low"
Looks at Vancouver gas prices
"Ah yes $1.40/L, the prices have come down from $1.70"
Cries in fossil fuel
Ouch, yeah. Out west is definitely worse off than say in Ontario. I saw gas for $1.05 for regular the other day here in Toronto.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Interesting that a significantly improved car didn’t sell as well as the prior. Beyond the facts of the declining demand for small cars and falling gas prices, I suspect the lack of a base model with the 2.0L engine in the US was a major factor.

I fear the US auto industry is going to face troubles when gas prices go up or we face a recession and people can’t afford the average prices SUV for $40,000.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting that a significantly improved car didn’t sell as well as the prior. Beyond the facts of the declining demand for small cars and falling gas prices, I suspect the lack of a base model with the 2.0L engine in the US was a major factor.

I fear the US auto industry is going to face troubles when gas prices go up or we face a recession and people can’t afford the average prices SUV for $40,000.
In my case it's the lack of a base model 2.5 Liter sedan with manual transmission that puts me off from buying a new 3.

·
Registered
456 Posts
In my case it's the lack of a base model 2.5 Liter sedan with manual transmission that puts me off from buying a new 3.
With which I agree. Lucky I bought my base-model Mazda6 (2017) with 6MT... which in Canada they ceased offering (the 6MT) the next year... 2018. And lucky I don't have Cylinder Deactivation (actually, not lucky; I probably would not have bought the car had that been in play... 'cause I like simplicity).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just became a February sales statistic!
my 5th and final SAAB passed away and I’ve been adrift without a brand. Wanted to thank the forum here (and savagegeese reviews), the pros & cons of this car are perfectly dialed in for me personally. I can’t say the same of earlier generations of this model, but I also realize there might not be enough like me that value the same recipe of attributes to sustain the model. In addition to tastes gravitating toward CUV,s, I think awareness plays a part. This 4th gen is on nobody’s radar, at least not in my neighborhood.
Anecdotally, I live in the Boston area and since last spring I’ve counted exactly (4) 2019+ 3 hatches on the road. Lots of CX-5’s &3’s, and an endless infinite sea of Subaru Crosstreks...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just became a February sales statistic!
my 5th and final SAAB passed away and I’ve been adrift without a brand. Wanted to thank the forum here (and savagegeese reviews), the pros & cons of this car are perfectly dialed in for me personally. I can’t say the same of earlier generations of this model, but I also realize there might not be enough like me that value the same recipe of attributes to sustain the model. In addition to tastes gravitating toward CUV,s, I think awareness plays a part. This 4th gen is on nobody’s radar, at least not in my neighborhood.
Anecdotally, I live in the Boston area and since last spring I’ve counted exactly (4) 2019+ 3 hatches on the road. Lots of CX-5’s &3’s, and an endless infinite sea of Subaru Crosstreks...
I see more Tesla 3's than current gen Mazda 3's here in upstate NY, but the new Mazda3's are apparently more common up north (Canada). Don't embark on a life of crime and use your car as a get away vehicle...though maybe some people will claim it was an Alfa Romeo driving away?

As for the car ticking all the right boxes, I'm with you, I had a list and the new Mazda3 ticked off all the must haves. My wife drives a 2020 Acura RDX and I would still rather drive my own car vs hers (which is saying a lot, the new RDX is a big upgrade over the prior gen that she had previously).

·
Registered
2020 Mazda3 Premium AWD hatchback Polymetal/red
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This 4th gen is on nobody’s radar, at least not in my neighborhood.
Welcome to Mazda, my first one also, and I'm also in the Boston area. I agree with you, and I never thought I'd own one. My past impressions of the brand was neutral at best, and never liked the design of the previous generations of Mazda3. In my search for a replacement to my GTi, it was hard to find a fun yet refined hatchback, especially one with AWD & adaptive cruise. And the new design of the Mazda3 is amazing. So glad I sort of stumbled into researching this car (also a huge thanks to savagegeese!).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Feb 20 Mazda sales are up 10% compared to Feb 19 and CX-30 sales were the same as the 3
Yeah, I read elsewhere they were down 8% but the report looks great. If you compare the Mazda 3+CX-30 to the Mazda 3+CX-3, the new pairing is doing much better.

Car sales are down in the USA. We are too fat for cars. I see myself trading in my 2017 Mazda 3 for a new shiny new red Mazda 3 for a good price.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Overall Mazda sales are down by 42% which is to be expected. Digging a but deeper shows the Mazda3 sales down 69% while the CX30 sales were about the same as last month (20% higher than Mazda3 sales). I believe the CX30 has now become the #2 seller for Mazda after the CX5 and I don't expect this to change even after COVID-19 is over. The Mazda3 could even fall behind the CX9 this year with cars (Mazda3/6) dropping to less than 20% of overall Mazda sales.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah car sales are terrible... people love trucks and SUV's. These are the same people that can't wait for autonomous driving cause they really don't care about or enjoy driving... same logic why most people in North America have automatics instead of more fun to drive standards :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Subaru Ascent proud itself for having 19 cupholders. Imagine the ability have the burger in your right hand and the coke in your left hand while your car drives for itself! this would be the most wanted feature for NA customers :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Plus all the extra parts that go boom when it let's go... guy on my team at work is on his second motor that's ready to go boom soon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts