2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site, and was wanting to hear some feedback on which mufflers are the best for the 2.5 I want my car to turn heads (in a good way) when i go by, but not be to annoying at idle speeds inside the car. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ stego
Thank you so much for the help! That sounds soo good and i would love to have mine sound the same! I was lookin at all the magnaflow crossflow mufflers before and i just didnt know which was the best, so this helps a lot! Would the deletion of the resonator make a big difference? And was the installation very expensive? Thanks again!

·
Registered
161 Posts
the sedan people arent f'd they just need tp extend the tip a lil bit...

·
Registered
30 Posts
@ stego
Thank you so much for the help! That sounds soo good and i would love to have mine sound the same! I was lookin at all the magnaflow crossflow mufflers before and i just didnt know which was the best, so this helps a lot! Would the deletion of the resonator make a big difference? And was the installation very expensive? Thanks again!
$200 for parts...$445 installed...so $645 for everything taxes in. I figure it puts me at about the same price I would have paid had I bought the full Maganflow CBE.

No resonator makes a big difference...unless you want it quieter. Magnaflow CBE part 15497 I believe deletes it too...so if Magnaflow deletes it from their CBE, that tells you something. Resonators are purely for sound attenuation...not going to get much in sound with a resonator....unless u did swapped in a v8...;-)

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you are only installing an axle back system, read a couple DIYs first before you pay twice the cost of the parts for labor.. axle backs are really easy! Good luck!

·
Use the Search Button!
746 Posts
If you are only installing an axle back system, read a couple DIYs first before you pay twice the cost of the parts for labor.. axle backs are really easy! Good luck!
^+1
Don't pay someone to install that for you. Especially if it's just an axle back.
It just takes a little muscle to install.

·
Registered
30 Posts
^+1
Don't pay someone to install that for you. Especially if it's just an axle back.
It just takes a little muscle to install.
Depends what you are installing... I had a custom install... parts were only muffler and 2 tips from Magnaflow... the installer used stainless steel 2.5 tubing, labor to custom fit it, cut and weld... plus deleting the resonator.. that is why labor was $445 ..

RacingBeat offers an axleback system.. which will set you back $425 USD... +tx and shipping.. not installed... if you want your resonator removed.. then it'll cost you a bit more.

Mazda 3: Exhaust - Cat-Back Systems: Exhaust System (2.5 ltr) Sedan - 2010-11 Mazda 3s -

so I don't think my set-up is that costly considering the alternatives.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Depends what you are installing... I had a custom install... parts were only muffler and 2 tips from Magnaflow... the installer used stainless steel 2.5 tubing, labor to custom fit it, cut and weld... plus deleting the resonator.. that is why labor was $445 ..
That makes a bit more sense. IMO, you can probably find an ABE that still sounds good and is much easier to put on.. such as the racing beat that you linked above. That requires no "custom" labor and could save some cash.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, and if your worried about emissions etc.. depending on your area.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I feel like i have looked at all my options and was even on the racing beat site looking at the same ABE before. I just want to get the best deal for my money... @stego I have a buddy who said he had his muffler put on and resonator deleted for only $150 which seems like a big difference in cost from the labor you had done. I wonder why that would be? Also i would definately want to delete the resonator because it doesn't make much since to me to get a new muffler if it's not going to be as loud...I like the MS3 ABE too and i'll definately take that option into consideration too!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys! I feel like i have looked at all my options and was even on the racing beat site looking at the same ABE before. I just want to get the best deal for my money... @stego I have a buddy who said he had his muffler put on and resonator deleted for only $150 which seems like a big difference in cost from the labor you had done. I wonder why that would be? Also i would definately want to delete the resonator because it doesn't make much since to me to get a new muffler if it's not going to be as loud...I like the MS3 ABE too and i'll definately take that option into consideration too!
Thanks again!
Yeah not sure about that one.. $150 is a bit low... was it a professional muffler shop? My guy is known for his work, and guys apparently drive up from NY and Penn. to come see him. It took him about 3 hours to do the whole job at $100 per hour... this included deleting the resonator.. then custom fitting the rear exhaust, cutting and welding the SS pipe, fitting it to existing stock exhaust flange (above rear axle) and then fitting, cutting and welding in 2 tips. $445 incl. all taxes, labor and extra parts (apart from the muffler itself and tips, which cost total of 200 bucks)

Unless that other shop had a much cheaper hourly rate, or they didn't do the same custom work.. I can't see how it only cost $150...

Could I have found a cheaper labor cost? Probably... but you get what you pay for, and this shop came highly recommended... in any case, I might have saved $100 at most...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@stego Well i'm sure it was not as famous of a shop as the one you used so that probably explains some of it. He also did'nt have new tips welded on which may have also contributed. I guess i will just have to find out when i go to get my car done!
I thought your car sounded great and thank you so much for all the help!

·
Registered
161 Posts
MS3 ABE ftw!?!! for the price, sound, and how easy to install it, its a real winner... The videos doesnt do it justice...

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
MS3 ABE ftw!?!! for the price, sound, and how easy to install it, its a real winner... The videos doesnt do it justice...
AGREED! :yes:

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Would the speed3 ABE be the easiest and best bang for the buck mod to open up exhaust flow?

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Would the speed3 ABE be the easiest and best bang for the buck mod to open up exhaust flow?
Header would be the best bang for your buck. Very modest increase in power and torque and no cat so the exhaust flows better The ABE has some very small gains if any, it is mostly the sound unless you get a bigger midpipe made.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts