2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured it was about time I started a build thread. So my background and reasoning for my username is pretty simple. I had a 2014 Mazda3 fully loaded, every box checked. About 17 months in, and 33k miles later, I decided I needed the new MX-5. 7 months later, I needed a Mazda3 back. This time I went opposite of my 2014 and went base model 2016. I enjoy it just the same.

Mod list:
Tint
LED Bulb Upgrades(All)
Blacked Out Emblems
Side Mirror Rain Guards
Rear Spoiler
Dipped Wheels
Dipped Front-End Chrome
Injen Intake
Borla Axle-Back Exhaust

I have individual videos documenting all of my additions.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSahDOjL4U00dDrSWtJ7oUw/feed

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Your car is looking great. Thank you very much for sharing your forum name backstory, and all you have done to your car.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Very nice, how do you like the Borla exhaust? I have the racing beat, which i love - just aggressive enough sounding but wife not embarrassed to ride in it.

The tips are a bit more aggressive looking on the RB, which i like, but your Borla would be good for those wanting to keep it looking more OEM

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice, how do you like the Borla exhaust? I have the racing beat, which i love - just aggressive enough sounding but wife not embarrassed to ride in it.

The tips are a bit more aggressive looking on the RB, which i like, but your Borla would be good for those wanting to keep it looking more OEM
Thanks! I love the borla so far, just a few issues with lining it up right. The sound is awesome and my gf wants one for her sedan now but they don't offer one. The Borla definitely keeps the stock look, but the pic doesnt really show how much larger the Borla pipes are than oem. They fill it out much nicer. Its all relative tho, because before my Borla I never thought the oem pipes looked small, and now they look tiny when I see a hatch drive by.

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking for feedback on my next addition. I'm going to paint my exhaust tips black to complete the look. Hanging the mufflers up to spray will be fairly difficult, so I am considering painting them with a brush. It will obviously not look as good, but I am not too concerned with how it looks from up close. Anybody else out there paint their exhaust?

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I was at the dealership buying my 2017 Mazda 3 2.5L I sat in one of the new Mx5 RF's and wished I could have bought one of those. Sadly the Mazda 3 is more practical...

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I was at the dealership buying my 2017 Mazda 3 2.5L I sat in one of the new Mx5 RF's and wished I could have bought one of those. Sadly the Mazda 3 is more practical...
Haha yea I made the mistake of test driving one. It really does make you feel like the car is an extension of you. My girlfriend who bought a Mazda3 sedan keeps telling me to trade my 3 back in for another MX-5. She also wants the new CX-5 haha. I just can't get myself to get the exact same car I just had, and I don't like the looks of the RF. I'll wait till they have a small MX-5 update or at least a new color option :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
:)

Reactions: M3MX5M3

·
Registered
659 Posts
but the pic doesnt really show how much larger the Borla pipes are than oem. They fill it out much nicer. Its all relative tho, because before my Borla I never thought the oem pipes looked small, and now they look tiny when I see a hatch drive by.
Yes the stock hatch exhaust looked great when i bought it, but now having the massive racing beat tips, they just look puny, while the big ass RB tips look normal to me - they fill out the rear trim nicely and frankly i'm surprised have not melted it (no problems at all, as advertised)

·
Mazda n00b
39 Posts
That exhaus looks pretty sweet.
I wish we could do that on our '17 sedan.
I guess it's good that most mods don't fit the sedans!

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That exhaus looks pretty sweet.
I wish we could do that on our '17 sedan.
I guess it's good that most mods don't fit the sedans!
Haha deep down you don't want to mod? But for sure when there are additions out there and you see others doing them, it makes things very tempting.

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just finished dipping my exhaust.

Video is up:

Attachments

·
Mazda n00b
39 Posts
Haha deep down you don't want to mod? But for sure when there are additions out there and you see others doing them, it makes things very tempting.
Lol. Deep down I DO, but my pockets (and wife!) thank me if I don't.
We just got it last week, so everything is still pretty exciting.
As the newness dwindles I think she'll be more open to "upgrades".
:wink2:

The black tips looks great, btw!

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It would be interesting to hear about how the plasti dip holds up on exhaust long term.... Have you ever done anything like this before with plastidip on hot parts?
I haven't, so we shall all find out together. I'll update in a few weeks.

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plasti-dip is supposedly only good up to ~200°F.
That's good news as the tips have a double walled type construction and are never even too hot to touch after a long drive. Further up the pipe could be a different story.

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I PlastiDipt the Mufflers & Tips on my X-Type Jag in May of 2014, no peeling at all, the exhaust doesn't get that hot being so far away from the engine...
HTHs
Gary
Sorry I missed this. Looks good...much better than mine as it doesn't look like you used a brush for yours!

I came on here to state that I haven't had any issues with it melting or peeling after a few long drives on some 90 degree days.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts