2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just ordered our Mazda 3 GT hatch manual, with all available packages and with quite a few Mazda options/accessories.

Have been on this forum for three months, and thanks to many of you, have learned so much (this will be our first Mazda). Thanks for being so informative! @USCTrojan4JC and @Chazzy J, you went way, way beyond in helping us out in so many ways.

And special thanks to: @arathol, @stevenvillatoro, @AVL thumper, @2016NeoHatchiS, @Skagerstrom, @Loud3, and @minsanity, who were so constructive in answering many PM's. You have my extra appreciation due to your providing great and candid information and advice.

I am now working on my approximate 30 items mod list -- though a month ago "I cheated" (LOL) and bought two mod items.

Our car will be very close to Skagerstrom's beautiful car below (my wife and I loved it when we first saw it, and it immediately became the "theme" for ours), though our summer wheels will be Mazda's accessory 18" dark gray wheels, and our winter wheels will start with the 18" factory silver ones, but then be powder-coated "Ultra Black Chrome." And then we will add our conservative extra mods.

Picture credit and special gratitude to: Skagerstrom

Thank you all on this forum, for your beautiful cars, your informative posts, and thus your being tremendously helping in determining out final order specs and its initial mod decisions! It has been "big fun" joining the Mazda 3 world!

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
our winter wheels will start with the 18" factory silver ones, but then be powder-coated "Ultra Black Chrome." And then we will add our conservative extra mods.
Hmmmm......be careful here. Powder coating involves processes that can damage the wheel if not done just so. Any warranties on the wheel will be voided by the process also.
What is the final cost for the powder coating? Measure it against the cost of selling the OEM wheels and purchasing a new set that is made in the color you want.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Hmmmm......be careful here. Powder coating involves processes that can damage the wheel if not done just so. Any warranties on the wheel will be voided by the process also.
What is the final cost for the powder coating? Measure it against the cost of selling the OEM wheels and purchasing a new set that is made in the color you want.
I've had several different sets of wheels and parts powdercoated and never had any failure.

Almost all automotive powdercoat is applied at a dry film thickness of between .003" and .006", and never at a heat that would cause any issue with any metal without any pre-existing impurities.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I've had several different sets of wheels and parts powdercoated and never had any failure.

Almost all automotive powdercoat is applied at a dry film thickness of between .003" and .006", and never at a heat that would cause any issue with any metal without any pre-existing impurities.
Never had any problems either.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I used to own a custom powder coating shop. The only wheels that required special attention were magnesium, and only a very small handful of contemporary wheels are made of it. I did a set of mag wheels for an old DeTomaso Pantera a few years ago and had to be very, very careful about stripping them. Most chemicals were too corrosive and most of the blast media that was even remotely effective was too aggressive and would chew right into the magnesium, but once they were stripped it was smooth sailing and I found a classic silver that matched the original color to a T and cured at 330. Most of the urethane powders cure at 330-380 degrees, which won`t have any metallurgical effects on wheels.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Congrats @Road Trip

Very excited for you! Now you've gotta hurry up and wait! Good luck my friend. Can't wait to see pics!

Reactions: minsanity

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. The ETA is theoretically 3-4 months (so says Mazda corporate, my dealer and smart M3R forum folks (the average response time others experienced/posted on my "ETA from ordering to delivery" thread), but being the eternal optimist, and especially since our dealer will be matching up one of his available Mazda 3 allocations with my order with both going in on Monday, I am predicting April 1st I (but we all know about April fools...).

I know waiting -- and it sure sucks. It was 579 days between my deposit for my C7 Z06 and its delivery (I put my deposit down 1 1/2 years before GM even announced that car ever becoming available). So while I hate waiting as much as all, and know that especially at the end "every day feels like a week" and sleep becomes sparse ("what's that" the last few days), I am an old hand at waiting. And it doesn't matter which car it is, I feel like a five year old right before Christmas as it gets closer and closer.

Today I went to the Portland Auto Show and just sat in a Mazda 3 for over an hour having a great time.... Interestingly, every single vehicle Mazda has at the show (over 12), were Soul Red in sort of a semi-circle around the new MX-5 RF removable hard top which was Machine Gray Metallic. The latest Miata has an Appearance Package and it looked terrific, and big fun watching its power hard top go up and down!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Cant wait to read about the Mods you choose. If you need any help look over my list and I would be happy to answer any questions.
I am attending the autoshow on Saturday so I guess I have a lot of Red Car to look forward to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts