2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have version 59.00.330, stock... just got the car like that a few days ago, and there is clearly a bug with the code that downloads (parses and stores) text messages. It will error ("Unable to download").

I've done quite a bit of reading people's complaints about all sorts of CMU versions in the past having issues downloading text message, where the system will get and display the notification that there is a new text message but has an error downloading text messages. Many have found the remedy to delete ALL text messages and then the car will then successfully download new text messages, and from this many people believe the problem is that the car can only hold a few text messages. HOWEVER, this is not a solid conclusion, and I am positive in my case that it isn't the issue, since I've seen the download error happen all over again after only five incoming texts..... Surely the system can store more than that, right?

So the last time I cleared and had the download error only after five messages, I looked through each individual text message and deleted ONLY THE TWO CONTAINING EMOJIs, and THEN the system would properly download text messages. I've even tested this again by first confirming that the system is downloading texts, sending myself a new text with just an emoji, having it error again, removing just that last offending emoji text and then trying to donload again, and it is again successful. Pretty conclusive that this is all about emojis..... And I would go further to suspect that the text parser was written to only handle simple alpha/numeric/punctuation characters (maybe ascii characters 0-127, and emojis are outside this normal set (128-255 maybe, I am just speculating), so the parser doesn't know what to do with this non-standard set of extra characters, so instead of handling them gracefully, like just skipping the unknown characters, it just fails entirely.

Now, this is not a new discovery. Some of the remedies posted over the past couple of years did mention the emoji issue, but what is surprising is that this is STILL not fixed in the end of 2016!! Good going, JCI!!

At this point, I am ready to update to 59.00.441 IF it fixes the problem where the text message parser chokes on emojis. I do not have any other issues I think 59.00.441 will improve, so I'd rather not fix it (if it ain't broke). And I'm not convinced that Mazda has blessed 59.00.441 since they have supposedly asked hosts to remove downloads of that version, and some brand new cars are on 59.00.330 instead of 441.

Does anybody know if 59.00.441 fixes this issue?

Can anyone confirm the bug exists in or is fixed for this issue in 59.00.441?

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, it looks like emojis are unicode.... and I'm betting the text parser doesn't support the particular unicode used with emojis.

And maybe that's why JCI/Mazda hasn't fixed it... it's too much of a pain in the ass for them to do, especially if the text system used with the JCI/Opera user interface doesn't support rendering this unicode set.

It just might be that the only fix is to somehow have these emojis stripped on my phone when it receives and stores them. I'm working on that currently, but it doesn't appear possible with Android KitKat 4.4.4, maybe a third party app could do it.

Would someone with 59.00.441 mind sending themselves a text with emoji and see what happens when the car tries to download the new message?

thanks!

:) <- that was easy enough! no emoji needed!

(btw, I noticed the text reader says "smiley face" when it encounters something like :), so doing emoji conversions or just ommisions would actually not be that difficult a bugfix)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tested my HTC One M8 with Android 6.0 receiving an SMS with emojis. It received the message okay and downloaded to my CMU but some of the emojis were replaced with a square box. I have CMU software 55.00.750 in my vehicle. So the Opera browser probably does not support the full character set of emojis with the installed fonts. Since you cannot even download the messages, it may be Android 4.4.4 is not fully compatible with the emoji characters and is failing to send the text messages over the MAP profile, or else the newer CMU software does not support emojis anymore, but I doubt that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tested my HTC One M8 with Android 6.0 receiving an SMS with emojis. It received the message okay and downloaded to my CMU but some of the emojis were replaced with a square box. I have CMU software 55.00.750 in my vehicle. So the Opera browser probably does not support the full character set of emojis with the installed fonts. Since you cannot even download the messages, it may be Android 4.4.4 is not fully compatible with the emoji characters and is failing to send the text messages over the MAP profile, or else the newer CMU software does not support emojis anymore, but I doubt that.

·
Registered
306 Posts
this issue of emoji displayed not correct belong to JCI/ fonts. all MZD version from start to the last are same old fonts not as unicode one which support emoji scripts,
JCI / fonts over all version are NON Unicode
Code:
AkhbarOTS.ttf   AkhbarOTS-Bold.ttf  HebrewOTS.ttf  HebrewOTS-Bold.ttf  HeiseiKakuGoth_JIS0213-B_C.ttf  HeiseiKakuGothW5_213_C.ttf   MYingHei_18030-H_C.ttf  MYingHei_B5HK-H_C.ttf   MYingHei_CP949-B_C.ttf     MYingHei_CP949-H_C.ttf    MYingHeiBold18030C.ttf   MYingHeiC-Bold-Big5HKSCS.ttf     ThaiAltOTS.ttf   ThaiAltOTS-Bold.ttf  Tipperary.ttf   TipperaryBold.ttf   TipperaryBoldItalic.ttf    TipperaryItalic.ttf  TipperarySemibold.ttf   TipperarySemiboldItalic.ttf
small hack to add one font unicode support emoji ( allot on the web for OS and Android ) .ttf format to the fonts folder and give permission enough to make the CMU display emoji as any Mobile device.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts