2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some help here from someone who properly understands clutch mechanics.

I'm suspecting the clutch on my new 2015 M3 is dragging, so I need to test it somehow.

If I revd the car up to the limiter while pressing clutch I shouldn't have any issues with engaging reverse which is not synchronized. Is this correct? This should be perfectly fine thing to do with no risk to the transmission/clutch assembly if everything is fine with it. Am I missing something?

Does anybody have better idea how to test this at home? What if I lifted one side of the car? That wheel should spin if there is enough drag on it, right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, it's not the clutch. I've tried the reverse test after spinning up the input shaft. I've also tried to engage and disengage the same gear while holding the clutch. And engaging the reverse while revving up with the clutch in. It is fine.

The issue is in the tranny. So, what I figured is that it takes really long time for the synchros to slow down the shaft. I did the following: Rev up to 3-4k RPM in neutral to spin up the input shaft -> clutch in -> engage any gear. There is significant resistance for a long time. I'd say for a 1-2 seconds before it slips into gear.

Is it normal that it takes the synchros this long to completely stop the shaft? I've read on couple of places that this tranny oil that Mazda puts in is too thin and that some other's (as Redline) are much better. Could this be the case here?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I don't know how much it has all changed, but my gen1 I've always had to have a slow shift, typically speaking, until it finds the join point and it slips in, but I can't force it in (nor do I honestly ever want to).
At the track however it seems to want to go in much easier at all points (higher RPM), than on the road.

With that said, my new NB miata on the other hand doesn't seem to care, if you can shove it in, it usually takes it.

So I believe I'm assuming correctly in what you're saying, but from what I've noticed, you can't be aggressive with your RPM differences on the 3's transmission. Oil will make shifts feel more smooth and less "notchy" (I like notchy though), but as far as any other differences, I've never seen anyone mention anything nor have I felt anything really significantly different, just how the stick felt as it fell into gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts