2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I bought a new Mazda 3 sport 2018 machine gray almost two months ago. From week one I noticed that the paint coating was very week and low quality. I’m extremely obsess with the car care. I use like 10-15 microfiber towels only for paint cleaning, after removing dust with low pressure water, high pressure water and then soap foam. I don’t even use the two bucket method. I use new microfiber towels and get soapy water from a clean bottle instead, so it’s almost imposible to scratch the paint whit dust or mud. Even so, I’m getting more and more light scratches every week. I compared my paint with the same machine gray from a colleague’s CX5 and even when he bought his car 2 year ago, he doesn’t have too many scratches. And he is not very carefully while washing his car.
So, I complain about this with my local dealer. They agreed to polish and apply a ceramic coating at first, but now they say that it’s not safe to try to fix and seal the paint. Weird. I suspect that my car was over polished before they delivered to me, which will also explain the week and thin paint coat.

Have anybody faced something like this?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not sure what microfiber you use, but the cheaper ones can be of low quality, and actually create scratches in paint

·
Registered
137 Posts
That certainly sucks to hear. Car paint is so thin these days from the factory that it doesn't take much to cause marring and swirl marks. I wonder if the dealership actually got the paint thickness measured causing them to have second thoughts about doing a paint correction. If it's never been paint corrected before, it should still be relatively safe to use a mild polish to help blend in all the light scratches.

Let's also access your wash method. Are you using a quality car soap that has good lubricity? I also prefer using quality microfiber wash mitts compared to microfiber towels for washing as they will hold more soap and water. I leave the towels for detailing and drying. If you do stick with the towels for washing, get some fluffier ones so they can suck up the dirt and also fold it over multiple times to help cushion the pressure from your hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not using branded microfiber towel. I bought all of them from a very famous local car accessories shop and they brand the microfiber towel as the name of the store, but they are VERY soft, over 500gsm. It’s not the typically microfiber towel. They are the high quality line and are very thick and soft, similar to the microfiber towels used to dry the car.

Even so, you may be right. Maybe I should try out those expensive meguiars microfiber towels.
I’m using meguiars products only
- Meguiars gold class wash and wax
- Meguiars carnauba wax
- Meguiars paint protect (applied once, it supposed to last 1 year)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Using a proper, high-quality wash mitt and the two-bucket method will go a long way. Something like this or this will do just fine. Also avoid leather chamois or water blades as those will scratch the finish unless they're perfectly clean. Use a waffle weave drying towel to dry...I've been using them for years and they're amazing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also got my 3 exactly 2 months ago in machine gray. First thing I did on my first way was to seal it with Nanolex Si3D ceramic coating. So far no scratches on the paint, though I do a pre-wash with show foam and I also use the two bucket method. During drying I tend to use spray wax as extra lubricant just to be safe so you might give it a go.

This is where all the good stuff end unfortunately - ever since I picked the car I spotted a few very weird spots on the paint as if the top coat has not bonded with the base coat and I also spotted my first stone chip today during my regular wash. Car is going to the dealer on Wednesday for the spots. I am curious to ask them if they can do something about the chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts