2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals,

So let me start off by saying I am going to do my best to keep this a short post as to not bore you with the details. Lord knows I could write an essay on Mazda's and everything they mean to me and my team and an even longer book on the community and the friends that I cherish so much with my line of work.

Long story short as 2016 draws to an end and 2017 approaches we do lots of things internally to evaluate where we stand and where the brand/market is. We look at old projects, new ones, # of parts sold, attend racing trade shows, and much more. All these things we do to see what has worked and what has not. As well has see what we can do better and ultimately what we want to accomplish moving forward. In a few days time I will be heading to the Performance Racing Industry trade show to check out new products and themes in the aftermarket world and to network and meet with others in our industry. It's a great time for us to get ideas for the upcoming year.

So... My question to you is, what sort of parts would you like to see for the SKYACTIV platform moving forward? brakes, cams, turbos, seats, hoods, etc. All things are open. We believe innovation is key to a strong future so everything is up for grabs. So tell me what you would like to see and please do try and put a little detail into it as to why you want it, how you think it will help, how many people need it, etc. The stronger the case for something the more merit can be put into making it happen. So put a little passion in it and together we can make something cool.

Thanks for the read.
Vincent

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for asking the community, that is super cool of you guys!
I am brand new to Mazda, got my first one about 4 days ago ha. A few things off my head that I would love to see are;

1. Some kind of decent LED lighting for under the hood, engine bay.
2. A rear bumper skin with cutouts for exhaust, my car looks ridiculous from behind with no exhaust showing!
3. A hood strut kit, to replace the manual hood bar to hold it up

I do not know much about tuning on these cars, but as I came from a performance BMW, I would LOVE to see something to give it a bit more "go". Though I realize these engines cannot handle a turbo... Any chips maybe? I dunno ;)

Anyway, thats just off my head, thanks again for asking :)

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
Hmmm...hood strut kits are already readily available fairly cheap from a number of different sites.

Here are a couple things I would like to see-

A redesigned shifter. I have a short shift plate but it needs more. A taller shift lever, say 3 or 4 inches, angled about 30° to the left. This puts the shifter closer to the steering wheel and gives it much better ergonomics. Combined with a short shift plate, this would give a close to stock throw and much improved shifter feel.

A better intake setup. Forget about through the grill or wheel arch cold / warm air induction stuff. Cowl induction, like the Randall intake, utilizing the high pressure area at the bottom of the windshield to actually get cold air in from the outside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would love to see N/A chip tunes that combine with your Cold air and Exhaust that bump the power up to around 185hp ( like 2016+ SKYACTIV).

A Turbo kit would also be amazing if you could bring the full kit in at around 4000 and have power around 250hp while maintaining some essence of fuel economy (think focus st) then I think you would have a ton of customers.

No one makes a good rain visor for this car. The ones you can order that say they fit technically do but are not very flush and I've seen other car with much nicer shaped ones that go with the windows better. Visors should tuck inside or attach better then just taping to the outside of the door.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
I would like to see a REAL rear diffuser. Not something that has the look, but an actual undertray.

Speaking of which, an aluminum skidplate/undertray for the front end, would be nice. You've built them in the past, please continue.

Seat brackets have also been an issue, and kept me from buying seats for the 3rd gen, as well.

Carbon fiber parts are always hot commodities.

A grille option that doesn't look cheap or half-assed. MV-Tuning is cornering the 6 market on grilles, and I think a similar design for the 3 would be stellar.

Widened fiberglass or carbon front fenders... an actual replacement for the factory front fender.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Any forced induction system that`s a true balance of power/cost. A $5K+ system should have this car making 250HP reliably (and I`d have one if it were available). None of them come close and they`re questionable at best. I spent $5800 on a twin turbo kit for my 300ZX (granted the car was twin turbo to begin with), got triple the HP (of what my mazda is making) and drove it every day.

A Speed style hood. The only one I know of is a carbon fiber Japanese import that costs nearly a grand to get shipped. Another item I`d already own if it was more readily available.

A performance clutch. No, the 2.0L is never going to make enough torque to really "need" a better clutch, but something with a little more bite and pedal feel would be welcome.

A rear wing for the hatchback that`s moderately more aggressive than the OEM add on. Not much, again I`ll reference the Speed 3.

·
Registered
510 Posts
1) a turbo for the 3 would be at the top of my list. full system including manifold, intercooler etc. a small boost with this engine would be good for 250-300whp. been looking to build a mps3 of the bm series, but sourcing parts and stuff down under is a little tough.

2) the existing catback exhaust is been on my list of to dos. but would love to see the hatch style straight tips with a proper diffuser/rear end.

3) AWD system and ecu for it. but then again, that's really overthinking and pulling one from a cx-5 awd would be a better option.

then again, i'm pretty jealous of you that can swap grills for your 3. can't do it with mine with the radar and stuff in the mazda logo..

·
Registered
896 Posts
I would like a solid one piece strut bar, Like Racingbeat used to make for the FB/FC's and AutoExe makes for the 3rd gen right now.

rear sway bar end links I think you guys only make ones for the front.

More suspension bars like UR makes. I don't think you guys would make any replacement interior pieces to rid of us that awful Piano Black.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe see what edelbrock is doing with that miata supercharger and see if you could work with them to make a mazda 3 iteration of it. Stainless steel brake lines might be nice too and would be fairly easy to develop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So many ideas!

Exhaust manifold to complement the catback exhaust

Lightweight flywheel (i keep seeing bits about swapping the miatas flywheel but never any confirmation)

I second the coilovers, ss brake lines, adjustable rear end links, and the rear diffuser for the sedan. I mean i don't mind the hidden exhaust tips but the exhaust on the hatchback is sharp ?.

Please no OTS tuning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I want a slightly more aggressive spoiler for the hatch.

A grill overlay that covers the license plate mount for around 50 bucks. I've seen the japanese OEM one but $150+ is too much.

Metal look interior pieces, to replace the piano black and faux carbon items. Preferably something that would match the silver GT dash trims.

Pre-formed or templated insulation for the doors and spare tire area. The road noise is pretty bad on these cars.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey vendors..how about a drop in filter like this...

On another thread where I was asking about a specific vendor drop in... I came across this and just wanted to post it separately. K&N, AEM, and JBR, all offer a drop in panel. There is a "debate" as to the efficiency of the new Gen3's stock airbox and many feel like the oem box is designed in a manner that can provide plenty of air (and cold air at that), but we all want a re-usable performance drop in.

The problem is all the drops in are so similar that there is nothing that makes them stand out. And of course many, many, feel that more flow = less filtration. So I ran across this "concept" drop in and thought? Damn.. our air boxes are plenty deep, why not do something like this..

aFe POWER 31-80155 Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter | aFe POWER

So maybe one of our vendors (cough cough Corksport that doesn't have a drop in) could look into this?

Personally I would rather have the "cone" more square. But one would think that if you designed it correctly, (keeping in mind where the air comes into the box from the snorkel, and goes out of the box where the intake is, you could not only maximize potential surface area, but then also increase filtration rates without dropping flow to low.

Based on another thread, I believe that our engines max out around 300 CFM. So if you could provide high filtration (99.n% min), DRY, washable, and hit somewhere well above that in CFM (just because us consumers like knowing we have more than enough to spare + dirt reserves), seems like you could clean up.... pun intended.

heck, add in a custom looking shell cover (like Carbon Fiber or choices of colors) that would fit over the stock lid for that custom look and I think you would really have a winner.

Remember, there is a whole bunch of us CARB state people that can't legally get any aftermarket intakes so drop in's is all we have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright,

Just got back from PRI the other day. You guys had some awesome ideas and all are worth looking into. Me and my lead ENG had some great talks with some really great people and have some even cooler things in the work. While they are all possible do remember some are way more demanding then others. As in its way easier to make hood strut kit then a full turbo kit. The next couple months are going to be super busy for us but it should produce some awesome stuff.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts