2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Mazda 3 GT (2.5L) Hatchback and this will be the first car in my life that I'll be working on that I've had since 2019 January. The first mod I'll be doing is coilovers and I'm unable to decide which ones I'd want. Its between TEIN's Flex Z, D2's Racing RS, or maybe even BC Racing BR Type? All range from $880-$1021. Anyone have any recommendations? Other brands someone might recommend?

Some things I should add
-I don't want a very stiff ride
-I drive a lot having put 10k miles into my car after having it for almost 7 months (work, school, traveling)
-I don't plan on slamming my car because I'd like to get around without having any issues
-The camber option BC/D2's coilovers is nice IMO but not doing insane camber in the future
-I'll probably be taking this car to Utah in the winter again to go snowboarding which had some icy roads. Stock was able to handle the roads better than I expected.
-I live in Las Vegas

Future mods I plan on doing that may or may not effect recommendations? IDK
-corksport intake
-corksport 80mm catback exhaust
-racing headers if corksport decides to make one for the automatic
---SORRY I DRIVE AN AUTOMATIC, I KNOW IM GONNA GET CRAP FOR IT
-More stuff if companies decide to produce more performance parts
-Better wheels
-Aesthetic stuff

Let me know, I've been doing some research and reading reviews but they might be different for the 3rd gen mazdas which I haven't stumbled much upon.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't have experience specific to this car.

I had Tein Flex Z on my Honda and they were way better than Megan and BC at the same price point. And better by a lot. Megan and BC seemed to me they were just stiff and they thought stiff meant better handling which is not really the case. The adjustments were do you want bouncy or hardcore stiff. I even had people in my car ask if my car was broken when hit bumps, and my cousin said he didn't know this road had bumps (new paved road). Tein flex z was the solution for the Honda. I probably should have left it stock or just went with shocks/springs in retrospect.

Haven't had first hand experience with D2. The "racing"/Chinese or Taiwan low priced coilovers seem to be very similar and tend to be stiff and oriented to the how low can you go and drift scenes. Flex Z seems to be more oriented to street driving.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Honestly, something like a Racing Beat spring and Koni reds would fit what you want better. You aren't changing camber, you don't want to go super low, and you want to keep a decent ride. Those cheap coilovers aren't known as the most compliant things in the world. You can add some Corksport camber plates and rear camber arms if you feel the need to make those adjustments.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Among these 3 Tein is the best. BC/D2 are basically the same, even they are made in the same factory.
Also you can have dynamic damper adjustment from the cockpit with Tein.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I have a 2018 Mazda 3 GT (2.5L) Hatchback and this will be the first car in my life that I'll be working on that I've had since 2019 January. The first mod I'll be doing is coilovers and I'm unable to decide which ones I'd want. Its between TEIN's Flex Z, D2's Racing RS, or maybe even BC Racing BR Type? All range from $880-$1021. Anyone have any recommendations? Other brands someone might recommend?
Some things I should add
-I don't want a very stiff ride
-I drive a lot having put 10k miles into my car after having it for almost 7 months (work, school, traveling)
-I don't plan on slamming my car because I'd like to get around without having any issues
-The camber option BC/D2's coilovers is nice IMO but not doing insane camber in the future
-I'll probably be taking this car to Utah in the winter again to go snowboarding which had some icy roads. Stock was able to handle the roads better than I expected.
-I live in Las Vegas
Honestly, something like a Racing Beat spring and Koni reds would fit what you want better. You aren't changing camber, you don't want to go super low, and you want to keep a decent ride. Those cheap coilovers aren't known as the most compliant things in the world. You can add some Corksport camber plates and rear camber arms if you feel the need to make those adjustments.
This....

Coilovers are not some magic wand you wave over your car so it will handle like a race car. They are mostly a by-product of the ricer crowd from a time when coil overs were used to replace things like leaf springs when lowering a car. Now they are thrown at everything regardless of whether its needed or not. Have not heard anything good about Teins for this car. Those BC Racing produced PYC coil overs are crap. For $1k you can do a lot better with good springs and dampers. Your OEM suspension design is just fine when you upgrade with the right parts.

Future mods I plan on doing that may or may not effect recommendations? IDK
-corksport intake
-corksport 80mm catback exhaust
-racing headers if corksport decides to make one for the automatic
---SORRY I DRIVE AN AUTOMATIC, I KNOW IM GONNA GET CRAP FOR IT
-More stuff if companies decide to produce more performance parts
-Better wheels
-Aesthetic stuff

Let me know, I've been doing some research and reading reviews but they might be different for the 3rd gen mazdas which I haven't stumbled much upon.
80mm exhaust - No, unless you plan on forced induction.
intake- mostly noise, sometimes lose a few hp.
Racing headers - no point unless you are planning other upgrades like cams and larger throttle body. Won't pass any sort of inspection either.

Better wheels (lighter rims and better tires specifically) and a larger rear sway bar are job 1 on the way to making your car perform better.
If you want more out of your engine get a tune from OVT. None of the other "performance" bolt on parts out there do much of any consequence for the Skyactiv engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This....

Coilovers are not some magic wand you wave over your car so it will handle like a race car. They are mostly a by-product of the ricer crowd from a time when coil overs were used to replace things like leaf springs when lowering a car. Now they are thrown at everything regardless of whether its needed or not. Have not heard anything good about Teins for this car. Those BC Racing produced PYC coil overs are crap. For $1k you can do a lot better with good springs and dampers. Your OEM suspension design is just fine when you upgrade with the right parts.

80mm exhaust - No, unless you plan on forced induction.
intake- mostly noise, sometimes lose a few hp.
Racing headers - no point unless you are planning other upgrades like cams and larger throttle body. Won't pass any sort of inspection either.

Better wheels (lighter rims and better tires specifically) and a larger rear sway bar are job 1 on the way to making your car perform better.
If you want more out of your engine get a tune from OVT. None of the other "performance" bolt on parts out there do much of any consequence for the Skyactiv engine.
After reading this I had done more research on this forum to see what other people have done for their suspension for a good 3 hours. So far I've been seeing people leaning towards KONI's FSD and Racing Beat Springs.
A post I had seen had shown the car's height with the racing beat springs and I personally would want something lower maybe? The thing about coilovers is the customization option ill be able to have being able to raise/lower my car to a preferred height at any time. I do plan on having a bodykit in the future (maybe knightsports) so I'd probably want my car lower than Racing Beat Springs have to offer. I understand I might sacrifice some ride quality with coilovers but this is something I think I would want in the long run when I do forced induction (Corksport's turbo kit when it comes out hopefully). I am still taking what you said under consideration and will still be doing more research. With that being said, do you recommend any coilovers at all? I don't plan on buying any suspension for a good 2 months.

For the 80mm (CS) exhaust, yes I do plan on doing forced induction
Intake (CS), yes I'd like the noise tbh
Racing headers - I'm not too sure how far I'd want to go on performance wise for this car.

As for tuning, it will happen in the future when there's better results from bolt on parts and when I have more knowledge. Corksport seems to be having results.

Please do give me more criticism you have because I am still learning.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
After reading this I had done more research on this forum to see what other people have done for their suspension for a good 3 hours. So far I've been seeing people leaning towards KONI's FSD and Racing Beat Springs.
A post I had seen had shown the car's height with the racing beat springs and I personally would want something lower maybe? The thing about coilovers is the customization option ill be able to have being able to raise/lower my car to a preferred height at any time. I do plan on having a bodykit in the future (maybe knightsports) so I'd probably want my car lower than Racing Beat Springs have to offer. I understand I might sacrifice some ride quality with coilovers but this is something I think I would want in the long run when I do forced induction (Corksport's turbo kit when it comes out hopefully). I am still taking what you said under consideration and will still be doing more research. With that being said, do you recommend any coilovers at all? I don't plan on buying any suspension for a good 2 months.

For the 80mm (CS) exhaust, yes I do plan on doing forced induction
Intake (CS), yes I'd like the noise tbh
Racing headers - I'm not too sure how far I'd want to go on performance wise for this car.

As for tuning, it will happen in the future when there's better results from bolt on parts and when I have more knowledge. Corksport seems to be having results.

Please do give me more criticism you have because I am still learning.
Yes, the Koni FSD or Special Active dampers and decent springs seem to be the way to go here. The majority of coil overs for this car are either cheap junk or overly expensive. If you want good ride quality and performance, I'd steer clear of those and do something like H&N springs and the Konis. You don't really want to go too low, that will compromise how the car rides and drives. Contrary to what some would have you think lower is not better...
Raising and lowering the car at any time sounds good but it is a pain to do. Having to jack up the car, adjust, lower, measure, raise, adjust, measure again, lower etc can take a while. Add to that when you change your ride height you really should have an alignment done.
I'm not sure what sacrificing ride quality has to do with forced induction....If you use the right parts you can have good ride quality and still have a suspension that performs well. No reason to have a bouncy suspension "because race car".
The 80 mm exhaust might sound tempting but without the turbo it might really kill your engine torque. The exhaust system on this car is engineered for certain flow characteristics. Exhaust gas speed is critical, and a huge booming exhaust will significantly lower that. Lower gas speed means less scavenging from the combustion chamber, which leads to higher temperatures, which in turn means its more prone to preignition, and when that happens the ECU pulls timing advance and you lose power. :surprise: Factory size exhaust and a good axle back is best if you don't have forced induction.
Tuning is the only way to get any decent power gains from the Skyactiv engine. A good tune really changes the way the engine performs. There are no bolt-ons that will do much of anything and its not likely that there will be any as the Mazda engineers seem to have extracted the most out of this engine already. Not much left to change really. Corksport and others play the advertising game well, but for the most part all the "performance parts" are not really all that. Don't wait up for a forced induction setup from Corksport either. That has been an ongoing thing for a very long time with no real results published so far.... On the other hand OVT has a turbo kit in the works that should be available very soon, and already has significant experience doing forced induction on the Skyactiv motor, unlike Corksport.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts