2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought my first Mazda - you guessed it, a 2014 3 S GT Hatchback. When I started shopping I was looking at the CX-5's for more cargo room but the 3 just kept calling to me and a test drive with the 2.5 engine sealed the deal - let the drummer bring the kit to the gig!

I had to settle for my second choice color to get the features I wanted at a good price. The deep blue was my top choice with the Reflex Blue Mica my second choice (and what I ended up with).

What does this have to do with the tech package? I have a couple days where I could swap vehicles and the only Dark Blue 3 with the package that I want also includes the tech package so would cost me $1200 or so more than the car that I bough.

I'm finding that I like but don't love the Reflex Blue Mica whereas I absolutely love the dark blue. Starting to wonder if every time I see the car I wish it was dark blue or I'll just get over it. The Reflex blue is a great color and the interior has everything that I want - including many, but not all, of the features from the tech package.

I stretched my budget to the higher end (though still comfortable) to get into the GT but once you're spending $26k it's not too crazy to throw in that extra $1200 to get the exact color that you want, I'm just wondering if there's also enough goodies in the tech package to give me more value on that money and make it easier to part with. Any thoughts? Things in the tech package that you've come to really appreciate after driving the car for a bit?

Maybe I'll go stare at the car some more and the Reflex Blue will grow on me. Or maybe it just needs racing stripes.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have an sGT sedan without the tech package and I am more than happy. When I built my car online, after seeing the $2,600 for the tech package, I was like what? And I really didn't want that stuff. Do I need Mazda Radar Cruise Control? No. And I don't want the car braking for me...lol. Probably the only thing in that package I would have wanted would have been the lane departure warning. I don't need auto high beams and forward obstruction warning. The blind spot monitoring and back up camera were a must, which the sGT has. I know this didn't help you, but if you really like the dark blue, I would make the switch.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm quickly realising my mentality towards cars doesn't line up with most North Americans......but take my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I knew exactly what I wanted when I walked into the dealership. I wanted the dark blue metallic, with a black interior, with technology package. Since there was none in the region, I placed an order. I mean, that's how one should buy a car. Get exactly what you want, after all you're spending a lot of money and going to live with it for the next 5-6 years...or perhaps more. Local dealer had one with the light interior but that was a definite no. So I ordered.

Dealer gave me a written quote and didn't ask for a deposit, and I thought it was reasonable. I didn't like the tires, so I purchased the tires I wanted on my own dime and had them mounted when the car came in (10 weeks from order to delivery). I wanted the tech package because I do a lot of highway and rural driving; I average 35.000km a year and don't want a car that's outdated 3 years down the road. The ACC is lovely and very smooth, better than what I expected- to test it I set it at 140km/h on a derestricted section and deliberately stayed in the right lane as I approached a car doing 120. It released the throttle, then braked smoothly upon approach, and accelerated smoothly when I changed left to overtake.

So now I have a car exactly the way I wanted. No dealer emblem, no one else has been in it/driven it, my summer tires, and my colour and options. Never fully understood the point of buying a car off the lot but then again, I come from the world of German cars where option flexibility is much greater.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I just bought my first Mazda - you guessed it, a 2014 3 S GT Hatchback. When I started shopping I was looking at the CX-5's for more cargo room but the 3 just kept calling to me and a test drive with the 2.5 engine sealed the deal - let the drummer bring the kit to the gig!

I had to settle for my second choice color to get the features I wanted at a good price. The deep blue was my top choice with the Reflex Blue Mica my second choice (and what I ended up with).

What does this have to do with the tech package? I have a couple days where I could swap vehicles and the only Dark Blue 3 with the package that I want also includes the tech package so would cost me $1200 or so more than the car that I bough.

I'm finding that I like but don't love the Reflex Blue Mica whereas I absolutely love the dark blue. Starting to wonder if every time I see the car I wish it was dark blue or I'll just get over it. The Reflex blue is a great color and the interior has everything that I want - including many, but not all, of the features from the tech package.

I stretched my budget to the higher end (though still comfortable) to get into the GT but once you're spending $26k it's not too crazy to throw in that extra $1200 to get the exact color that you want, I'm just wondering if there's also enough goodies in the tech package to give me more value on that money and make it easier to part with. Any thoughts? Things in the tech package that you've come to really appreciate after driving the car for a bit?

Maybe I'll go stare at the car some more and the Reflex Blue will grow on me. Or maybe it just needs racing stripes.
I have the exact same car that you do, a Reflex Blue sGT with no tech package. I particularly didn't want the iELOOP because I think it will cause a lot of problems in a couple of years and it will be far more expensive to repair. I like the radar cruise control, but I couldn't see spending all that extra money for one item that I would only use a couple of times a year. The rest of the package is virtually useless to me.

Regarding color, medium colors like Reflex Blue and Silver are of a different nature aesthetically than white or the dark colors. These medium colors are not as good looking in a dechromed state and I actually added a few chrome accents that go well with this color. Dark colors seem to do better with less chrome as the dark color makes the chrome stand out a bit too much. I personally dislike white because from a distance it has no depth and looks like a rental car.

So if you like a clean, debadged look, you were probably better off with the darker blue. If you like a more sophisticated, upscale look, the Reflex Blue is probably better. At the end of the day, it is a matter of personal choice. Here are a couple of pics of my Reflex Blue with chrome accents.

Attachments

Reactions: Madmartigan

·
Registered
126 Posts

I bought my sGT hatch last Feb and ran into the same situation you have now. I wanted a soul red with almond interior and the only one they had was with the tech package. At first I didn't think I would ever use it, but I have to say that I am happy I got it now. Driving on the highway is relaxing with the radar cruise control. Plus it only added about $20 to my monthly payment. Get the color of car you want, because you will have it for the next 5 years at least. I still catch myself staring at mine, and have to remind myself that it is my car:cheesy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. Reading more about the tech package I realize that, aside from the regenerative breaking system which seems intriguing, my car has all the tech that I need. That beep when you hit the turn signal and a car is nearby pretty much saved me from a collision just yesterday and I like the blind spot indicators on the mirrors and the back up camera.

So, yeah, it all comes down to how important the color is to me and that's a decision that only I can make. Like I said, the Reflex Blue Mica was actually my first choice for a cx-5, then my second for a 3 (behind red) and by the time I'd been on a couple lots seeing them all in the sun I had knocked red off my list because I like the blue better.

Thanks for the photos, rvoll - I agree I think the Reflex Blue is a more "sophisticated" color where as the dark blue is a sportier color. The chrome does look nice on your car. I have two more days to return the car if I want to so I'll be looking at other dealers to see what they have in stock. Or, since my bank just offered me financing at half of what Mazda did maybe I'll return this one and get the blue with tech package and the difference in financing will offset the extra cost.

On the other hand, red still looks pretty hot! oh boy, I just need to drive the car I have - I second guess so much that I second guess my second guesses!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went back and traded it in for the Dark blue with tech package and I'm so freakin' glad that I did. There's something about this car (more than most) where the color really changes your whole perception of it and draws attention to certain lines and away from other lines - looking that are different colors side by side they don't even look like the same car. To me, the car in the Blue Reflex is a great car in a nice color - if I had gone CX-5 as I was originally shopping for I think I'd still want the Blue Reflex. But the M3 in the Dark Crystal Blue is a seriously kick ass car. Now every time I look at it I get excited.

Oh yeah, digging the tech package, too. Definitely getting 2-3 mpg better with the iLoop and, being an easily distractible driver who often drives around with his 18 month old daughter on board, I appreciate anything that helps avoid accidents.

I freakin' love this car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the exact same car that you do, a Reflex Blue sGT with no tech package. I particularly didn't want the iELOOP because I think it will cause a lot of problems in a couple of years and it will be far more expensive to repair. I like the radar cruise control, but I couldn't see spending all that extra money for one item that I would only use a couple of times a year. The rest of the package is virtually useless to me.

Regarding color, medium colors like Reflex Blue and Silver are of a different nature aesthetically than white or the dark colors. These medium colors are not as good looking in a dechromed state and I actually added a few chrome accents that go well with this color. Dark colors seem to do better with less chrome as the dark color makes the chrome stand out a bit too much. I personally dislike white because from a distance it has no depth and looks like a rental car.

So if you like a clean, debadged look, you were probably better off with the darker blue. If you like a more sophisticated, upscale look, the Reflex Blue is probably better. At the end of the day, it is a matter of personal choice. Here are a couple of pics of my Reflex Blue with chrome accents.
Thanks for this. I am also thinking of adding some chrome accents to my blue mica sedan, so I'm very glad I found your pictures with some examples. Have you added any other accents since?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a 2015 JetBlack Sedan i-Touring w/Tech Package all for $20,000.00 well after finance fee what not it was 23k I didn't put anything down on it or trade ins.. 52 miles off the lot and now has 2995 miles. :) I like driving her. Point is The tech package is what got me in this ride after seeing the other models not have it and the features it has sold me on it! I believe the tech includes, Moonroof (flip and slide) bose 9-speaker, navigation, blind spot monitoring sensors, rear camera, rear traffic sensors, middle control module on center console, and MP3/SAT/CD player. Not sure if the interior is part of it.. I got the red stitching w/black cloth. Kinda wished at that point I would have settled for the GT so I could have the HUD display, and paddle shifters w/auto cruise features, and the LED DRL setup w/adaptive headlights... all in all I'm happy though. I got a great deal at least 5k off what it would've been with all the features I do have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.