2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - this is my first post. I know there have been endless discussions on fitting tyres to m3s - I've read through a bunch of them, with many trying to reduce road noise. I live in Thailand where roading is infested with potholes and bumps like an std. I have a 2014 2.0 S sport sedan running the stock dunlop 215/45r18s and I'm going to change them next week. My question is - should I switch to 225/45s? Will the slightly taller sidewall improve comfort and softness? Or will it make no noticeable difference and I should quit screwing around and just stick with OEM spec 215/45s? I understand the 225/45s will have a relatively low impact on speedo readings and handling etc. Thanks for the time, effort and expertise!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
I don't think that enough of a change to make a noticeable difference. A much lighter 16" rim with a 60 series tire would be more of a solution.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another Thailand member. Had the same choices when I switched tires. I went with 225x45x18 on the stock rims. Like the wider tread pattern. 40s would have fit but it would leave too much space between the tire and fender. Also 45s are better over pot holes and we have a lot of the here in Thailand.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Increasing the tire width size wont really help with noise, in some cases it could. But you are better off looking at other tire compounds/brands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts