2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Good or not

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few posts about Windshields being cheap and fragile. Do you agree? What are your opinions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the quality good (yes) or not good (no). Sorry i did want to edit it after I posted it lol was really late and had a long day at work.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've only had 1 chip in one windshield in a car ever. Probably because i do not tailgate. In fact I looked over my 1991 Honda accord that I sold to A friend and can only find a few paint chips in the front and no window chips at all and that car has near 500,000 miles on it. My wife has chips in her paint everywhere and had her windshield replaced in her car due to chips. It has allot to do with how you drive.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes, the windshield is lighter that most cars, but a knock off which if any company will do is Safellite, will be worst.

My bro says all windshield in the near future will take a lighter hit. Glass is heavy. What they should do is a polycarbonate coating that can be polished like paint if scratched. I think Tesla has it, so I have read.

But yes, my brother knows that the glass us super light compared to standard auto glass

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I got rock chips in my windshield the first month I owned the car. they are still there. never cracked, but I voted no because this windshield seems to just be a damn rock magnet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't have enough miles to vote yet.. only a little over 1000 but so far so good. On another note.. my Wife's Subaru Legacy windshield got a chip last year, safelight came out to fill it.. its cracking again and now they said I need to replace it as they can't fix a fix... :( So ill probably buy one of the do it yourself kits and try to seal the new crack some and hopefully it will last for at least another year or two. Just about every car I have owned had chipped/cracked windshields, ranging from Subaru's to BMW's.. Should put the clear shield stuff they use on paint on the windshield :) In the end.. I don't think Mazda's are any worse then any other car maker out there today but ill hold off judgement for a little while longer.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I've eventually had cracked or pitted windshields on most of the cars I've owned. The two worst were a BMW and a Chrysler. People who think the quality of this windshield is worse just don't know what they are talking about. They all have to pass U.S. safety standards. The issue is not the quality of the windshield, but the slope of the both the hood and windshield. In designing the 3, they lengthened the hood and thus made the slope of the windshield less than other cars in the class. So when a rock or other debris hit it, it puts more force on it. This is just basic physics. In addition, given the length of the hood, when something bounces off of the hood, it will still strongly hit the windshield. Hondas, Nissans, and most other modern cars have a more sloping hood.

Perhaps those who constantly complain about the windshield and infotainment system should just buy another car...

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've eventually had cracked or pitted windshields on most of the cars I've owned. The two worst were a BMW and a Chrysler. People who think the quality of this windshield is worse just don't know what they are talking about. They all have to pass U.S. safety standards. The issue is not the quality of the windshield, but the slope of the both the hood and windshield. In designing the 3, they lengthened the hood and thus made the slope of the windshield less than other cars in the class. So when a rock or other debris hit it, it puts more force on it. This is just basic physics. In addition, given the length of the hood, when something bounces off of the hood, it will still strongly hit the windshield. Hondas, Nissans, and most other modern cars have a more sloping hood.

Perhaps those who constantly complain about the windshield and infotainment system should just buy another car...
If you are referring to me, :nono:I assume keep it. Just because someone does not like one or two parts of the car should not mean get rid of it. Horse-caca. One of my brothers, the rich one has a new Corvette, and he hates the seats and shifter height, yet he loves the car :rice 1:

As far as the Infotainment, its almost there, it went from a 2 to a 3.5 Babie stars. :taz: Thats a good start.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you are referring to me, :nono:I assume keep it. Just because someone does not like one or two parts of the car should not mean get rid of it. Horse-caca. One of my brothers, the rich one has a new Corvette, and he hates the seats and shifter height, yet he loves the car :rice 1:

As far as the Infotainment, its almost there, it went from a 2 to a 3.5 Babie stars. :taz: Thats a good start.
Gee, the car causes you so much grief. It's not good for your health. Or do you complain about everything? The Vette is a very nice car, but I do like the Porsches better. The seats are great and the shifter is perfect.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I just got back from a road trip today, was behind this truck with lots of rocks and pebbles falling out of the back and it was hitting my car, heard a few hit my windshield lol Got some minor chips, surprisingly nothing too bad. I'm getting the clearplex windshield film put on next week so I don't have to worry about this anymore :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've only had 1 chip in one windshield in a car ever. Probably because i do not tailgate. In fact I looked over my 1991 Honda accord that I sold to A friend and can only find a few paint chips in the front and no window chips at all and that car has near 500,000 miles on it. My wife has chips in her paint everywhere and had her windshield replaced in her car due to chips. It has allot to do with how you drive.
You don't have to tailgate to get hit by rocks.... I live in Ontario. We use road salt here. Tailgating will make it worse but it has to do as much with the environment as it does with the driver. A more fragile windsheild won't help that

·
Registered
297 Posts
RVOLL
This is a forum to chat about good things and not so good things. If you don't like what you read then move along and carry on with your day. So effin annoying. If I or anyone else want to complain about the windshield, infotainment system, the colour of the sky or your twisted attitude that's our prerogative, but I don't think anyone else appreciates your "smart ass" remarks, surly I don't.

So guys, based on what the Physic Smarty Pants has said, the design of the font end has put more force on a piece of crap windshield. #pitting_at_8K :0

P.S. Babie, talk about WHATEVER you want, this is an open forum, no one was forced to sign up nor read something they don't want to read. I enjoy everyones post and don't take offence to anything said. I't's almost as if "certain" people, not going to mention any names "RVOLL" work at Mazda and spent every waking night designing the car....heck, maybe RVOLL designed the infotainment system that keeps EFFING up. LMAO...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
RVOLL
This is a forum to chat about good things and not so good things. If you don't like what you read then move along and carry on with your day. So effin annoying. If I or anyone else want to complain about the windshield, infotainment system, the colour of the sky or your twisted attitude that's our prerogative, but I don't think anyone else appreciates your "smart ass" remarks, surly I don't.

So guys, based on what the Physic Smarty Pants has said, the design of the font end has put more force on a piece of crap windshield. #pitting_at_8K :0

P.S. Babie, talk about WHATEVER you want, this is an open forum, no one was forced to sign up nor read something they don't want to read. I enjoy everyones post and don't take offence to anything said. I't's almost as if "certain" people, not going to mention any names "RVOLL" work at Mazda and spent every waking night designing the car....heck, maybe RVOLL designed the infotainment system that keeps EFFING up. LMAO...
Great! You and Babie have your love fest and I'll speak my mind as well. If you, like Babie, have so much to complain about with your new Mazda 3, perhaps you should get rid of yours as well. It is just hard for me to understand why somebody who hates so much of their car wants to keep it and complain about it.

By the way, there is absolutely nothing wrong in pointing out problems with your vehicle. That's what forums like this are for. But comments go far beyond that calling this and that "EFFING" or "crap". If people really like hearing non-productive comments like that, then I would expect to see a lot of others on-board. When I hear of a problem, I try to figure out how to solve it or why it is there -- or ask others who have specific expertise to answer it. You may not like that approach. So be it.

Have fun and enjoy life....

P.S. I have no pitting on my windshield and few infotainment problems. I don't even have any ticking noises any more. Is this the best car I've owned? It depends on your criteria. However, I do enjoy it, think it is a great looking car, and have loads of fun driving it. I may not like some of the mods people do, but I really like hearing about them. Some people who have done things to their cars that I think are ugly, do come up with some great ideas. This is a great group of Mazda owners on this forum with a great deal of knowledge. I try to add to that knowledge with my areas of expertise but will let opinions fly if I don't. And when I don't, I give a reason. Honestly, part of my response is due to the fact that I'm an old guy with a lot of grandchildren and believe that too many young people today are taught that any behavior is acceptable. It is not. And when I see childish behavior, you can expect this grandpa to comment.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Gee, the car causes you so much grief. It's not good for your health. Or do you complain about everything? The Vette is a very nice car, but I do like the Porsches better. The seats are great and the shifter is perfect.
Everyone complains about their cars, how about not saying anything to cause more of a commotion.

Babie just likes to ask the forum and write her frustrations here, I don't see a problem. If you don't like it, the X is on the right corner.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Everyone complains about their cars, how about not saying anything to cause more of a commotion.

Babie just likes to ask the forum and write her frustrations here, I don't see a problem. If you don't like it, the X is on the right corner.
Ok... Done...

1 - 20 of 223 Posts