2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, as you know, our cars come with option to set light switch to AUTO mode, which decides using the light sensor if its "dark" enough to turn on low-beams or to just use DRLs. And here is the problem: I´m not sure if this is some local setting, or your US cars have it the same, but my 3, when DRLs are on, does not have the taillights lit. They are lit only when low-beams are on. I found this to be annoying when driving last week during rain. It was on highway, so the water spray behind my car was kinda large and I got high-beamed by a car coasting behind me. I wanted to put rear foglight on, as other cars had (and as it is actually required by law here), but I couldn´t - the car had DRLs on, because although it was raining, it was "light" enough not to get AUTO switched to low beams, and the fog switch doesn´t work with DRLs. I was messing with the light switch, but I didn´t find the option to turn low-beams on manually.

The only option was to set switch to park light mode, which brought the tails on, but this left the front DRLs dimmed and driving like this around town in rain is asking for trouble.

So I have two questions: Is there a way how to have taillights on all the time and can low-beams be activated manually while driving?
(I, of course, asked dealer to have my taillights enabled when using DRLs, but answer was "not possible", I think its BS)

·
Registered
132 Posts
The light switch has three settings, AUTO, that is DRL and switching to low beam at dusk.
Second place, park light mode, but one "step" further is the low beam (manual) setting.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hi guys, as you know, our cars come with option to set light switch to AUTO mode, which decides using the light sensor if its "dark" enough to turn on low-beams or to just use DRLs. And here is the problem: I´m not sure if this is some local setting, or your US cars have it the same, but my 3, when DRLs are on, does not have the taillights lit. They are lit only when low-beams are on. I found this to be annoying when driving last week during rain. It was on highway, so the water spray behind my car was kinda large and I got high-beamed by a car coasting behind me. I wanted to put rear foglight on, as other cars had (and as it is actually required by law here), but I couldn´t - the car had DRLs on, because although it was raining, it was "light" enough not to get AUTO switched to low beams, and the fog switch doesn´t work with DRLs. I was messing with the light switch, but I didn´t find the option to turn low-beams on manually.

The only option was to set switch to park light mode, which brought the tails on, but this left the front DRLs dimmed and driving like this around town in rain is asking for trouble.

So I have two questions: Is there a way how to have taillights on all the time and can low-beams be activated manually while driving?
(I, of course, asked dealer to have my taillights enabled when using DRLs, but answer was "not possible", I think its BS)
Try reading the owners manual next time, and that reminds me a lot of people rely on their DRL's in the rain and that don't cut it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The tail lights are not suppose to be on when you have DRL on and light set to off or auto. Flick it to parking light and you'll have your DRL plus tail lights on. That's how most cars work in the US anyways. I've only seen volvo's that has tail lights on along with the front DRL but I would find that rather annoying. I usually just flick my lights to parking when I drive in the rain since the LED DRL's are pretty bright already.

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
The tail lights are not suppose to be on when you have DRL on and light set to off or auto. Flick it to parking light and you'll have your DRL plus tail lights on. That's how most cars work in the US anyways. I've only seen volvo's that has tail lights on along with the front DRL but I would find that rather annoying. I usually just flick my lights to parking when I drive in the rain since the LED DRL's are pretty bright already.
This.

For those in UK reading, Parking lights = what we know as Side Lights.

And as @lowincash said, DRL's are only on the front, not the rear. (however it would make perfect sence to have rear DRL's as well imo)

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMO, if it's bright enough that the auto headlights are not on then it should be bright enough to see your arse. :tongue:

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
IMO, if it's bright enough that the auto headlights are not on then it should be bright enough to see your arse. :tongue:
I think that's the point the OP was making.

In overcast/cloudy weather, some might expect, for safety sake, the lights to automatically turn onto low beams, as this is when the rear lights turn on. Where at the moment the lights just stay on DRL's and there's nothing lit on the rear. Factor in rain & spray and the rear end is harder to see, especially on some colours of car.

There is an option to change the sensitivity of the sensor in the ITS, but without testing properly with the right equipment, it'll be hard to know what the lumens are set for per option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replies, I´ve checked the owners manual again, and it is like Hombre said, the fourth option on the switch is the manual on. I wanted to use it at that moment, but I was afraid because the symbol on it is the symbol for high-beams, which are prohibited here to be used if there are other cars heading in opposite direction. I used park lights eventually, that let me turn fog lights on.

IMO, if it's bright enough that the auto headlights are not on then it should be bright enough to see your arse.
I expected the same, but the drivers behind me using light-horns thought otherwise :)

In overcast/cloudy weather, some might expect, for safety sake, the lights to automatically turn onto low beams, as this is when the rear lights turn on.
Yes, I thought thats what AUTO setting is for. I have the the light sensor set to lowest, maybe that is the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts