2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just looking for some input. I'm looking to tint the taillights on my 3 and I know there are a few ways to do this. The ones I've heard about are the transparent black spray paint, VHT Niteshades, and the tint film. I was wondering if instead of these methods you could use something like a window tint film instead. The stuff I was looking at using is called Gila Tint. (They sell it at Autozone) The website for it is Automotive Window Tints: Gila Peel And Cling Window Tint Has anybody heard of using this stuff. I'm just a little hesitant about the whole thing. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey man, nobody has ever done taillight tinting because the tint film doesn't spread and stretch like vinyl. You would have a lot of trouble doing it I assume.

Here are a few threads regarding the use of vinyl, which ought to give you the same results:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...e-interior/8946-taillight-vinyl-red-tint.html
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ior/8894-mazda3-tail-light-possibilities.html

And you can find a whole bunch more if you use the search tool on the forum. I hope this helps! :)

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I kind of had a feeling that it wouldn't work that well. But thanks for the links! I guess i should start looking for some good vinyl for them. Thanks again!!

·
cro-magnon man
510 Posts
Yeah that would be best. I hear (I haven't done this so I don't know, but I've been curious and have gained a working knowledge of it) that you should avoid getting pre-cut wraps, as you need more to stretch and play with.

This website seems pretty reputable.
Rvinyl Headlight Tint, Tail Light Tint, Window Tint, Dash Kits
http://www.lamin-x.com/Mazda-3-s/504.htm

I tried rvinyl on headlamps and failed! On a side note I was (well I think, successfully on my tail lights) I used lamin x pre-cuts and my wifes hair dryer. Use a lot of heat and the solution to apply, a cre dit card works wonders to push out air bubbles. I think I have some pics of how it turned out under my photos. If any ?s ask and I'll do my best to help. there are some tricky parts and i had to cut some of the film so i would lay flat other than that doesnt look bad (once again i think)

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did my tail, head, and fog lights using lamin-x as well. Came out very nice :)

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard that the pre-cut vinyl is good but I have seen videos of people using the actual roll of vinyl and it looks like it's harder to make a mistake if you have more material to work with. It looks lime I'm leaning more towards using the rvinyl than lamin-x as of right now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've heard that the pre-cut vinyl is good but I have seen videos of people using the actual roll of vinyl and it looks like it's harder to make a mistake if you have more material to work with. It looks lime I'm leaning more towards using the rvinyl than lamin-x as of right now.
Yeah exactly my point. And it looks like they have more options for colors.

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lime? I'll try to get a better pix today its far from lime ;)
:argh 1:

Yeah yeah yeah, you know what I meant. :p

But pictures would be great! Are there any specific instructions they gave you that came with the vinyl?

·
cro-magnon man
510 Posts
:argh 1:

Yeah yeah yeah, you know what I meant. :p

But pictures would be great! Are there any specific instructions they gave you that came with the vinyl?
honestly i just went with it, lost my patience, regained it and actually learned how the vinyl would react to heat, scraping it with a credit card and forming it. like someone said it is nice to have some extra material but you may not get the exact cut of the light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts