2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

T-Minus Two Weeks to Road Trip #2

880 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  3withthreepedals 
#1 ·
As some of you may recall, last May I took my car on its first and (to date) only proper long-distance road trip to Wyoming for the running of Union Pacific's Big Boy #4014. That trip was just about 1,850 miles (2980 kilometers) and due to time constraints with work, I really had to rush it and that kinda put a damper on the experience. This time I plan to take things a little easier.

On Friday the 30th, I'll be heading down to Scottsdale, Arizona to visit some very good family friends (more family than friends), catch some Vitamin D and just disconnect from life and this crazy world. My route down will take me through central and southeastern Oregon, through Nevada, spending one night in Winnemucca and another in Las Vegas and then on into Arizona. My route back will be slightly different, detouring through southern Utah to visit some places I went to summer camp when I was 13/14 years old and then back into Nevada and Oregon for the return home. I've taken two weeks off work so with three days down and three days back, I'll still have a full week to relax and enjoy myself. In total I expect to put just about 3,000 miles (4,800 kilometers) on the car all in.

I made a similar trip (albeit with a return via Los Angeles) at the same time of year in 2016 and it was a blast. I'll continue to report back with mileage and any encounters worth reporting.

See less See more
#4 ·
Figured I owed y'all an update here. I made it down to Scottsdale, Arizona on Sunday night and the car did great. I averaged over 37 MPG on the trip down and got two tanks of 39, something I'm over the moon about. I'm here til Sunday evening at which point I begin my brave trek north again. Keeping an eye on the weather as it's supposed to get very cold once I get into northern Nevada and southern Oregon so I'll be altering my route as necessary to steer clear of any major snowfalls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.