2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think its possible to install switchback LED's for the front turn signals where it can act as a DRL while the vehicle is turned on (white) and have the amber turn signal functionality?

Since the turn signals on our cars only turn on while using the turn signal is this even possible?

I was thinking this could be a great alternative similar to what iJDMtoy made for the front turn signals/DRL mod

Reactions: M3Dude

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did some research and found out that our front turn signal bulbs are in fact 7443 bulbs.
These are dual filament bulbs like stated above.
7440 bulbs are single filament and only turn on and off
7443 have a 'dim' and 'high power' mode so on an LED they can be used to activate different colors or light half the LED for a brake light or something.

But what I don't understand is that I have never seen an instance where it uses the 'dual filament' to make it dimmer or brighter.
I only ever see them turn on and off with the turn signals.

So while they will in fact take a LED switchback, the question now is how can we make it use it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are you saying that our front turn signals sockets are only really 7440 even though our manual says they use 7443?
Our cars' turn signal sockets are these gray ones with two wire connections, the brown sockets on other cars has three wires. I don't know which is 7440/7443:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
the iJDMtoy lights come with a little control module box with a relay that tells the white lights to turn off when the turn signal is on. I don't think it's possible to have switchback LEDs without said control module

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you think this will work? Is this another alternative instead of buying the whole piece of the turning light with the led like the ijdmtoy one?
Those will work and I had installed them in my car. Only thing is that they are very cheap and not very bright. If you want them to add extra visibility as DRL's, they will not help all that much. As far as the actual blinker aspect of it; I thought that the factory blinkers may have been brighter. What do you expect for around $20 from China?

Also our front blinker bulb sockets are 7440 for sure and will only work with single filament 7440 bulbs. You can put a 7443 bulb in there, but it will only function as a 7440.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just turned my front turn signal housings into dual purpose fog lamps/turn signals. I purchased some 7443's from iJDMtoy on Amazon and converted my bulbs to work in an modified 7440 socket.

- Buy some high quality switchbacks from the people who invented them...iJDMtoy. I bought their 60SMD 7443's on Amazon.
- Determine the polarity of your 7440 socket and 7443 bulb.
- Trim the base of your 7443 bulb so that it slips easily into the 7440 socket.
- Remove the 7440 socket and drill a hole from front to back on the side missing the positive contact that a 7443 socket would provide.
- Strip 10mm from the end of an 18ga wire, insert the stripped end through the hole in the 7440 socket, bend the stripped wires back, and insert them into the 7440 socket so that the bare wire touches the positive "dim" connector of the 7443 bulb when inserted.
- CAREFULLY bend the unused negative tab on the 7443 LED bulb so that it touches the normally-used negative tab.
- Insert the 7443 bulb into your modified 7440 bulb.
- Run the other end of your 18ga wire to the +12VDC source you'd like the lights to get their power from. You could splice them in with the corner lights, or even run it through a switch on the dashboard to the fuse box. Either way, this is what will provide your "dim" or "white" lighting, while the 12VDC supplied through the stock turn signal wiring will illuminate your "bright" or "amber" lighting.
- Install resistors on both stock 12VDC lines running to the 7440 socket.
- ENJOY!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
I just turned my front turn signal housings into dual purpose fog lamps/turn signals. I purchased some 7443's from iJDMtoy on Amazon and converted my bulbs to work in an modified 7440 socket.
The turn signals can't possibly function as "fog lights". They have no means of focusing or otherwise directing the light onto the road instead of into the eyes of oncoming drivers. The amount of backscatter in fog, rain or snow will be counterproductive and you won't be able to see anything in front of you with lights like this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The turn signals can't possibly function as "fog lights". They have no means of focusing or otherwise directing the light onto the road instead of into the eyes of oncoming drivers. The amount of backscatter in fog, rain or snow will be counterproductive and you won't be able to see anything in front of you with lights like this.
Fog lights isn't the right term. They just look like fog lights and add a pair of white lights to the front end. Glare is actually minimal...I'll upload a shot of the beam pattern as soon as possible.

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
No idea what those pictures are showing. I see what might be the headlights on a wall, but other than that what are those pictures supposed to be? The car is way too close to the wall to actually get any idea of whats going on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you TRULY can't figure out what you're looking at, I'll break it down for you:

The picture of a crisp beam pattern whose filename is SunroofLights is a picture taken from the sunroof, of the GTRLighting Ultra LED H11 "bulbs" shining toward my garage door, with a little bit of my Christmas lights visible on the wall to the right.

The picture of a blurry beam pattern whose filename is SunroofFogs is a picture taken from the sunroof, of the iJDMtoy 60-SMD 7443 "bulbs" shining toward my garage door, with a little bit of my Christmas lights visible on the wall to the right.

The picture of a crisp beam pattern whose filename is SideLights is a picture taken from the driver side of the car, about 3 feet away from the front tire, of the GTRLighting Ultra LED H11 "bulbs" shining toward my garage door, with a little bit of my Christmas lights visible on the wall to the right.

The picture of a blurry beam pattern whose filename is SideFogs is a picture taken from the driver side of the car, about 3 feet away from the front tire, of the iJDMtoy 60-SMD 7443 "bulbs" shining toward my garage door, with a little bit of my Christmas lights visible on the wall to the right.

I took these pictures facing my garage door in order for the viewer to be able to compare the dimensions of both beam patterns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As Arathol said in his earlier post. If you look at those pictures of the "fog lights" there is a ton of beam scattering which will go directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic. There is no form of projection for these lights hence the problem Arathol was pointing out. It's still a neat idea in theory but I wouldn't do it because I don't want to be "that guy".

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
Those light patterns are not good all the way around. Not even close to what fog lights look like, and the headlights aren't great either.

A pic of what real fog lights look like from a Morimoto vendor-

What headlights are supposed to look like, from my garage-

10' away

25' away

See how there is almost no light above the cut off? Your lights have a lot of scatter going up into oncoming traffic in all four pictures, not good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've field tested them; there is no significant amount of glare at oncoming traffic's eye level. Trust me, I wouldn't want to be "that guy" either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This photoset includes:

A picture of what it looks like from inside the car when I'm driving down a road that has no streetlights.

A picture of what it looks like from inside the car when I'm pointing straight at a wall from approximately 25 ft. away.

A picture of what it looks like from outside the car when I'm pointing straight at a wall from approximately 75 ft. away.

A picture of what it looks like from inside the car when I'm pointing straight at a wall from approximately 75 ft. away.

A picture of what the beam pattern looks like when the car is 75 feet away and I take a picture of the wall from 10 ft. away.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts