2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that I get poorer FM reception in my 2016 M3 with the shark fin antenna than I used to get with the regular short thick 'wire' antenna in my 2007 M3.

The owner's manual makes a big deal about the shark fin antenna being for Sirius XM.

I won't be using that, so is there any reason why I shouldn't switch out the shark fin antenna for the wire one?

How difficult is that do do?

Would switching antennae affect HD FM reception?

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the shark fin is only for satellite. The FM antenna is embedded in the upper part of the rear window, above th defroster grid.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the shark fin is only for satellite. The FM antenna is embedded in the upper part of the rear window, above th defroster grid.
Believe your correct. Someone on here had taken the front apart and the antenna was located there.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure the antenna is in the rear window. My "proof" is the performance of the factory radio when I had a magnetic-mount CB antenna located on the roof of my car with the wire draped over the rear window going into the trunk. With this setup, the reception of my factory radio was significantly impaired. So, I now have the magnetic CB antenna on the trunk of my sedan with the wire not needing to go over the rear window. The factory radio reception is now excellent again.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The sharkfin has two terminals. 1 for radio, another for satellite. I switched the opposite. From stubby to shark. On the sedan, it should be hidden. There's only 1 hand-tightened tin nut holding the antenna base. Just pull off the ff:
-3 headliner clips from the rear
-the rear top hatch weatherstrip
-the left & right rear door weatherstrips & C pillars.
These will allow the headliner to drop enough for your hand to untighten the nut & detach the plug. Takes about 10-15mins.:)
Here are both of mine. The fin has good reception on mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts