2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this idea in a thread on TorontoMazdas about adding the MID display to a 3 that did not come with one. Well that mod works, but turns out the info buttons are needed to control the MID, and they are expensive - about the same price of a used leather GT wheel!:tongue:

I am starting a new thread for anyone interested in this.

So after seeing that the MID will work, I ordered one off ebay and set out looking for switches - they are $180 from the dealer, and any 3 steering wheel can run any of the switches. Ebay seemed to have whole GT wheels with the cruise control also for ~$200 so I kept looking. I found a whole column and wheel out of a low mileage wrecked GT, and since the guy was not willing to sell me the wheel alone and I also wanted the fog light switch for when I add those later on; I bought the whole thing for $200.

In previous generations of Mazda's all you have to do to get cruise control is to add the steering wheel buttons and swap the brake switch. Now I have read that this should work with 2010's, but no one is for sure, one guy says no, but then a guy at a dealership says there was a software upgrade that makes it work for the newer cars.

Well I am going to give it a try, I bought the brake switch from the dealer for $13.

I should have an update this weekend when the wheel's get swapped; which will actually be easier than swapping the dash panels for the MID.

Here is the wheel/column from the wrecked GT and the MID.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hope it works out for ya. I have the GT and love that wheel. Comfort, check. Ease of use, check. Visual appeal...well, with a lil vinyl wrap in spots like I plan, check. Let us know how it goes and post some pics along the way too! :yes:

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope it works out for ya. I have the GT and love that wheel. Comfort, check. Ease of use, check. Visual appeal...well, with a lil vinyl wrap in spots like I plan, check. Let us know how it goes and post some pics along the way too! :yes:
GT envy! The leather wheel feels so much better than my plastic one!:argh 1: It's thicker and just feels great. If anyone is curious these wheels weigh nothing! The whole steering column is only ~30 lbs.

Thanks, I hope it works too, I know the MID will work, but I really want the cruise control!

I am still trying to figure out the difference between the silver bottom spoke and the black one. My base model no leather wheel has the black, I think the GT and Speed are both silver, (leather wheels, speed has red stiching?), but noticed the dealership sells a leather wheel with a black bottom spoke for an extra $200 brand new, why is a leather wheel with a black spoke so special?:eek:hmy 1:

Anyway, I'll post all the info as I go along, should have the wheel in this weekend, still waiting on the MID to arrive and I am adding an Eclipse 2" center channel speaker while I have the dash apart.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Sport model is also silver on the bottom and leather, but lacks the NAV button and color MID

·
Registered
703 Posts
My sport has the silver, leather, and the nav button, but I also have the tech package, so it better have the nav button. Good luck on the build!

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am going to have to keep searching to find out what comes with a leather wheel and a black lower spoke. I am curious now!:mellow 1: Maybe black vs tan interiors?

Also, others advised to check the clockspring for differences. Mazda only uses 2 different clocksprings for 2010; with or without bluetooth - just posting in case this helps anyone else.

I have aftermarket bluetooth so I will not be trying to use the bluetooth buttons on this wheel.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very interested in how it turns out. I just bought the MID screen for 50. Im still thinking about the steering wheel. I might just wait and see if everything turns out fine for you.:yes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
IIRC, Mazda changed out the lower silver piece on the steeering wheel for a black one when they started doing the other delete's. ( LED side markers/memoery seat/ footwell lighting etc..)

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very interested in how it turns out. I just bought the MID screen for 50. Im still thinking about the steering wheel. I might just wait and see if everything turns out fine for you.:yes:
That was my intention, to just get the display first, but I figured if I let this wheel pass by I would regret it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
what else do you need to get the navigation to work besides the color screen?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I figured, just curious.

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I cold not leave the wheel alone, no silver spoke and no black spoke!

Burlwood! Took it all apart and wrapped it in vinyl. (I know you guys are into carbon fiber, but I really love this color against the black interior! I also have done the dash panels and the interior door pulls.)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks good.

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Dunston, These cars are really easy to work with. Everything is basic and straight forward, though some of the plastic is kinda brittle, so we have to be careful not to scratch or break stuff, and as always patience is the key!

Glad I can help whomever comes across this.

Here is an update:

MID arrived today and I got started right after getting home from work. My 3i Sport does not have the center speaker, so I had to work with the longer full plastic trim piece that is there; which required moving the instrument cluster, don't have to unplug it, just remove the two screws and set it to the side. The rest is pretty straight forward, find all the screws to remove and pull out the old one. It works so far, senses which door or trunk is open, was able to set the time with the dash buttons, and the screens look great. My red screen is blank because I have an aftermarket head unit. It really serves no purpose, just says Hello and Goodbye with the ignition on/off.

Here are some more pics, Steering wheel this Saturday!

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
does the MID have any A/V inputs? like for a reverse camera? like the one on the CX-7s?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very nice!!! Did you disconnect the battery during the install?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts