2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what the law in Virginia is on this? I know in MD you can install clear reflectors, though: "Clear lenses are legal only if the bulbs themselves are still located behind RED plastic, and the required minimum amount of RED Reflecting Material is installed in the clear lenses."

Doesn't state the required minimum or anything, so I feel like if you could find clear reflectors you could tint just the area in front of the bulb and you'd be solid.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless it's from the factory I do believe smoked/colored tail lights are prohibited.
Google it.
The tail lights themselves wouldn't be touched, just the giant red reflectors inside of them.. so this is an interesting question, and I haven't been able to find an answer on google. I made sure to search before asking on this forum.

·
girls can too
319 Posts
are you talking about replacing them with the axela tail lights? or another "oem" tail light? or taking them apart and removing the red...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Taking apart and removing the red, then putting in clear.

EDIT: Just an epiphany that I'm pretty sure would work. After I pull out the red reflectors, I'd just put some darker red tint on them or do whatever it is I'd have to to make them match my 3rd brake light. This way they wouldn't stand out and be obnoxious but no cop would pull me over for suspecting that they sort of maybe might be darker than stock.. :)

·
girls can too
319 Posts
for some reason, i think you CANT open the tail lights.

arnt they basically sealed from factory threw plastic welding? meaning they dont use the same method to seal them, that they do use for the headlights.

most tail lights can not be opened because the plastic is fused at the factory. are the mazda 3 tail lights the same way?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for some reason, i think you CANT open the tail lights.

arnt they basically sealed from factory threw plastic welding? meaning they dont use the same method to seal them, that they do use for the headlights.

most tail lights can not be opened because the plastic is fused at the factory. are the mazda 3 tail lights the same way?
I don't think the problem is whether you can open them or not, it's moreso whether you're willing to put in the immense effort. You can open any tail lights, it just isn't quick and easy.

·
girls can too
319 Posts
I don't think the problem is whether you can open them or not, it's moreso whether you're willing to put in the immense effort. You can open any tail lights, it just isn't quick and easy.
well if your talking about taking a cutting tool and cutting off where the welds are then yeah i guess you could open any tail light.

im asking if these tail lights lights are held together with a glue that can be baked to soften, or are they welded together using heat. some plastics are heat welded together to create a permanent bond, instead of using glue.

on my mazda rx7 you can bake them easily to open them

on my mazda 3 i opened up my headlights.

but on SOME cars the tail lights are bonded together using a plastic welding technique that requires cutting to open.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well if your talking about taking a cutting tool and cutting off where the welds are then yeah i guess you could open any tail light.

im asking if these tail lights lights are held together with a glue that can be baked to soften, or are they welded together using heat. some plastics are heat welded together to create a permanent bond, instead of using glue.

on my mazda rx7 you can bake them easily to open them

on my mazda 3 i opened up my headlights.

but on SOME cars the tail lights are bonded together using a plastic welding technique that requires cutting to open.
Well, I haven't opened them up myself but I know for a fact that you can't bake them, which only leaves the plastic welding.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Yes you can bake your tailights just most people dont do it. Tail lights are just closed by a heat activated sealant. Baking requires a lil skill but a heat gun is better and then using a knife to slowly to seperate the sealant. If u have a hatch id suggest purchasing the axela lights since there all clear with red spyder like LEDs if u have have sedan im not sure on that but you could get a chrome spray from dupli-color and spray the reflector but it wouldnt turn out that good but i dont know.

Reactions: Poliswag

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes you can bake your tailights just most people dont do it. Tail lights are just closed by a heat activated sealant. Baking requires a lil skill but a heat gun is better and then using a knife to slowly to seperate the sealant. If u have a hatch id suggest purchasing the axela lights since there all clear with red spyder like LEDs if u have have sedan im not sure on that but you could get a chrome spray from dupli-color and spray the reflector but it wouldnt turn out that good but i dont know.
Seems I stand corrected, I'd just heard multiple times that you can't bake them. Heat gun is a different matter, but yeah. I have a Sedan, not looking for chrome - just thinking I might be able to put some red tint on the reflectors and I'll be good.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Well I live in VA and I feel ya on these strict rules and I dont know exactly what your trying to do but im thinking of doing this myself is putting red tint on the tail lights but a darker kinda so it still looks legal but tinted enough. Sort of like this but darker

A company called Lamin-X sells some good tints theres a small tint company thats an authorized dealer thats in Rockville, MD iono where in VA u live tho either haha but its the same stuff I have in the front of my fogs and rally lights

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
VA has some strict vehicle laws, but at least alot of counties don't do emissions testing, like mine! Back on topic. To my knowledge, all cars are required to have/show at least one reverse light to be considered legal, aka some part of the covering has to have white or be absent. Don't believe me? Find an OEM car anywhere around you that doesn't have the reverse section in white. Even the Scion xB's have a small circular reverse light in the rear bumper.The all red looks great but I would cut a section out over the reverse light sections in the shape of the housing, but a much smaller footprint. Or just get the Axela/GT package tail lights

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
VA has some strict vehicle laws, but at least alot of counties don't do emissions testing, like mine! All cars are required to have reverse lights to be considered legal, aka some part of the covering has to have white or be absent. Don't believe me? Find an OEM car anywhere around you that doesn't have the reverse section in white.
True true damn VA but like i said thats why you get Lamin-X because you can easily pull it off then put some more on again after inspection

·
girls can too
319 Posts
so, you can? i know alot of tail lights are actually heat welded, meaning the plastic is sealed by heat welding the plastic together.

so the mazda 3 2010 does not have this done to the tail lights? and it IS the heat activated sealant? like the headlights?

baking is slightly easier then the heat gun. i did both methods. i heated the whole headlight in the oven then used the heat gun to keep it warm. if you only use a heat gun it seems to take a lil while longer to bring the whole headlight up to temp (have to keep moving the heat back and forth constantly) where as if you use the oven and heat it , the whole headlight is the same temp and it holds temp longer so its easier to separate. this is what i have experienced, and what i did twice.

there are many other methods... im just posting my own personal experience . if using just a heat gun the headlight is room temp and you have to heat it up in the oven first then work the heat gun. if you dont, then your just using the heat gun to heat the whole area that cools so quick cuz the rest of the headlight is room temp.

so, could some one who's done this , please confirm the tail lights are sealed with heat activated sealant and not welded plastic like most other tail lights? (on our scion XD they are plastic welded and can not be opened)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What Frnch is saying is that the plastic IS welded, and you can use a similar method as with the headlights, it'll just take longer and be more difficult because you not only have to bake + heat gun but you have to break through the heated up welding with a knife - you basically have to pry the welding apart. One question I have is: are you talking about the 2010.5+ model, with the smile? Or the previous?

·
girls can too
319 Posts
What Frnch is saying is that the plastic IS welded, and you can use a similar method as with the headlights, it'll just take longer and be more difficult because you not only have to bake + heat gun but you have to break through the heated up welding with a knife - you basically have to pry the welding apart. One question I have is: are you talking about the 2010.5+ model, with the smile? Or the previous?
has any one here seen "how its made" or anything similar?

does any one know how those "blister packs" are made that electronics , toys and other items are sold inside of?

the plastic is heated threw either vibration or actual heat, the factory either uses coldfusion, or heat to melt the 2 plastic pieces together in order to bond them permanently.

plastic welding does NOT include any form of SEALANT or GLUE it simply uses cold fusion, heat, or a 3rd piece of plastic heated inbetween the 2.

im trying to explane to you guys how A LOT of tail lights are made. and WHY it is next to impossible to open them to actually modify the inside. why do you think you dont often see people modifying the insides of their tail lights?

please understand i am trying to explain to you guys that SOME tail lights are FUSED together WITH OUT any form of sealant, glue, tar, gunk, ANYTHING . but FUSED together using heat and melting the plastics together....

btw this is the 2010 mazda section so yes we are talking about the one with the smile on it :tongue:

HAS ANY ONE ACTUALLY SEPARATED THEIR 2010 tail lights?! or are most of you just assuming that its the same as the headlights....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well what I'm saying is that one of my buds who explained the tails vs the headlights to me said that you most definitely CAN pull them apart, it just isn't easy and you have to reseal very carefully for fear of moisture getting in (common sense). And yeah, when I said sealant I'm talking about the plastic that's between the two pieces, because it serves as a large, liquidy plastic spacer adhesive.. so it's essentially a piece that's been melted to attach the two together, and you have to heat that up however you want to as long as you heat it up enough to the point that you can stick a knife in there and pry apart the two pieces it's holding together by cutting it away.

·
girls can too
319 Posts
Well what I'm saying is that one of my buds who explained the tails vs the headlights to me said that you most definitely CAN pull them apart, it just isn't easy and you have to reseal very carefully for fear of moisture getting in (common sense). And yeah, when I said sealant I'm talking about the plastic that's between the two pieces, because it serves as a large, liquidy plastic spacer adhesive.. so it's essentially a piece that's been melted to attach the two together, and you have to heat that up however you want to as long as you heat it up enough to the point that you can stick a knife in there and pry apart the two pieces it's holding together by cutting it away.
ok so its adhesive/sealant, not cold fusion/ plastic melted to seal (like a blister pack that holds products)

im sure i can answer my own question if i just took my tail light off and looked at it...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok so its adhesive/sealant, not cold fusion/ plastic melted to seal (like a blister pack that holds products)

im sure i can answer my own question if i just took my tail light off and looked at it...
That you could, haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts