2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Jus wondering what parts would be required if I were to upgrade my base level stereo to something a bit more upmarket (like, from the SP25 GT or similar?)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not sure about moving from the base model to CMU, but going up to the Bose models is a lot of work. Bose models have an amplifier that feeds the speakers that sits under the passenger seat in those models, and the speakers themselves are different too.

The main question is going to be if the base model stereo unit has the plugs available in the dash for the more advanced unit. The neo also doesn't have the central commander knobs and buttons, which are required (without AIO hacks) to be able to interact with the system while you're moving.

Even if the harness does have all of the applicable connections including the CANBus connections, its going to take considerable work to strip the centre to install the commander knob, and replace the USB port connections with the correct ones, you may also need to hack the asbuilt data as the infotainment system integrates with many of the cars systems. It will be a lot of work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts