2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see on a couple other posts that some users swap out their H11s for H9s. This does not damage the housing or anything at all??

Would something such as NNighteye H9 LED be good option for low beams or DRL?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You will get a worse output going from a bulb the projector is designed for to an LED regardless of bulb swap capability in most cases. I know of one company actually putting a lot of time and money into led bulbs, and they aren't released yet. Everything else is meh.

People go from H11 to H9 halogen because the wattage is different. With LEDs the wattage will most likely be less than 65. probably 55w advertised. The whole purpose of going from h11 to h9 is to gain light output from the extra 10w in H9 halogen bulbs in comparison to H11. So if you're dead set on trying some LEDs, just go with something advertised as h11 replacements. But FYI 99% the time, due to optics, the LED drop ins will net you a lot of foreground and severely lacking hotspot intensity, which is crucial to distance lighting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why not just buy H11 instead?
I thought that LED headlight bulbs would require a ballast/driver similar to HID bulbs to reduce flickering and startup time, or am I misunderstanding something?

I was thinking of purchasing the Morimoto 2Stroke LED bulbs from TRS, but read a review that the 9005 bulbs for the DRLs are not compatible.

Instead I found that the Precision LED Premium H11/9005 CREE LED Headlights seem to be good candidates. Do you have any words of advice on these? Again I thought that a ballast/driver is required. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
H9s do not use much more power than H11, consensus is no damage is likely. The DRL and Hi Beam are both the same 9005 bulb, the Low Beam is an H11. I would avoid most LEDs given their poor beam pattern, especially to replace the 9005 as its a reflector housing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts