2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the fog lights are basically useless, I was wondering if there was a set up that would use them for longer distance /higher speed night driving.

Would this be effective as they are much closer to the ground?

Is it a simple bulb replacement?

What needs to be done wiring wise to have them come on along with the regular high beams?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Some people just replace their stock fog lights with the morimoto LED plug n play replacement ones - unfortunately I believe they are discontinued now
Sticking HID's in the stock reflector housings is OK... definitely better than stock, but it really just creates a lot more glare instead of usable light

But I had the same exact idea as you and wanted a second set of driving lights and installed projector housings in the fog lights to focus the HID's
I'm very happy and accomplished what I wanted
I gave up the wide throw up close but got a very long throw like my headlights
but it was a PITA to get it all installed in the brackets and aimed properly

Here's the thread
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-appearance-interior/174426-hid-projector-fog-lights.html

·
Registered
290 Posts
This might be another option beside the discontinued morimoto: Mini HID Bi-Xenon Retrofit Projector OEM Replacement Fog Lamps
LOL Those are the ones I used
It's in my thread, except I have their ebay link instead

And they are NOT plug and play, it's a complete lie
100% false advertising, you need considerable modification to the fog light brackets to make them work, and you also may need to slightly make the opening of the fog light covers bigger
I tried to be as detailed as I could in my thread if you want more info

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info....I went through your build....What I want to do is have these come on when my highs beams come on and this is additional light that actually extend the range of my highs...this might be asking a lot or might not even be possible.

I do have the dremel with the proper attachment though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts